AMORPHIS SURVIVOR 2015: Results -> Sampo wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Eliminated:
Course Of Fate - 5 votes
Towards & Against - 4 votes
From The Heaven Of My Heart - 4 votes

Moon, Servant, Shaman, Skyforger, Earth.

It was tough to decide between I Of Crimson Blood and A Servant (had to pick one of those to be promoted along with Weaving and Silent Waters), ultimately chose Crimson because of the epic ending.

I disagree entirely.

Skyforger and Earth are deep songs with nice changes, atmosphere and detail. Moon is has a lot of energy with some particularly strong passages (both aggressive and melodic). Servant and Shaman are great melodically.

I vote for:
Weaving is intense but hasn't much going on melodically or subtly.
Silver Bride is relatively one dimensional, sticking much on the same throughout the whole song.
Majestic Beast reminds me too much of some Opeth riff (might be Grand Conjuration).
I like Crimson Blood but clearly less than the other songs.

(The other seven songs are not much under threat, yet that is.)

Last edited:
From Silent Waters: I of Crimson Blood, Shaman
From Skyforger: Sky is Mine, Majestic Beast, From Earth I Rose

SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Eliminated:
Moon & Sun, Part 2 - North's Son - 4 votes
Majestic Beast - 4 votes
Weaving The Incantation - 3 votes
Shaman - 3 votes
From Earth I Rose - 3 votes

Promoted:
A Servant
Silent Waters
I Of Crimson Blood

The Beginning Of Times joins the game!
Heart's Song is a bonus track.

Additionally, between the releases of Skyforger and The Beginning Of Times, Amorphis released a live DVD/album called "Forging The Land Of Thousand Lakes" and an album of re-recorded songs from their first 3 albums, called "Magic & Mayhem: Tales From The Early Days". So check out those releases too!

The Beginning Of Times joins the game!
(source)
Like previous Amorphis albums, The Beginning of Times is a concept album. The central character of the songs is Väinämöinen, described by the band as "the iconic hero of Finnish mythology".

+
(source)
J. R. R. Tolkien
Väinämöinen has been identified as a source for Gandalf, the wizard in J. R. R. Tolkien's novel The Lord of the Rings. Another Tolkienian character with great similarities to Väinämöinen is Tom Bombadil. Like Väinämöinen, he is one of the most powerful beings in his world, and both are ancient and natural beings in their setting. Both Tom Bombadil and Väinämöinen rely on the power of song and lore. Likewise, Treebeard and the Ents in general have been compared to Väinämöinen.

V%C3%A4in%C3%A4m%C3%B6isen_l%C3%A4hto.jpg

The Departure of Väinämöinen

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft

EDIT:
This album gets a lot of votes from me. Apart from stuff in the first third, it is rather dull. It sounds too clean, often too happy for my taste, and more important: bland songwriting. Were they tired or something? Worst Amorphis album? Who knows, definitely not better than the average album with Pasi Koskinen.

1. Silver Bride
  2. Battle For Light
  3. Three Words
  4. Reformation
  5. Soothsayer
  6. On A Stranded Shore
  7. Escape
  8. Crack In A Stone
  9. Beginning Of Time
  10. Heart's Song

Last edited:
Way too mellow album with thin, crap production. It lacks strong melodies as other previous works have. The last one might seem good compared with the bunch preceding it but I find it meh compared to everything that's left in the game, and also less good than song 2-5.

As if Amorphis got the worst left-over songs from Nightwish in the Olzon era. Many of these songs completely lack own identity and have irritating choruses which should not have seen the (battle for the) light.

I just started the next album in the hope to hear something better again. Two first songs totally blow away the majority of the egg album, but I hold my breath for the rest.

Last edited:
Way too mellow album with thin, crap production.
It's much heavier than Eclipse or Silent Waters IMO. Production I can maybe understand, it depends on taste.

As if Amorphis got the worst left-over songs from Nightwish in the Olzon era.
I don't hear the similarity at all. Amorphis isn't symphonic and doesn't have long songs and is much less dramatic.

Many of these songs completely lack own identity and have irritating choruses which should not have seen the (battle for the) light.
Iryo.

Two first songs totally blow away the majority of the egg album
Good songs, but overall Circle is the weakest album of the Joutsen era IMO (but still better than the debut and Tuonela-Am-Far trio).

I have to go with Forostar on this one.

Listening to this album was merely an exercise for me. I had high hopes after Skyforger, which immediately grabbed me on almost every song, but this was disappointing. There is nothing that I outright disliked (except maybe Crack in a Stone which I find to be incredibly blundering), but the vocal melodies are really lackluster throughout and a good majority of the songs left me cold. It is still a solid album that works as a whole, but I find a lot of the individual tracks unmemorable.

That said, there are a few really, really good songs and Mermaid and Escape are absolutely amazing.

I'm voting for everything that doesn't get a 9 or 10/10 from me:

Battle For Light
My Enemy
You I Need
Three Words
Soothsayer
On a Stranded Shore
Crack in a Stone
Beginning of Time
Heart's Song

@Forostar - I'm actually quite surprised you don't like Escape, I found it to be easily the most engaging song on the album.

Back