AMORPHIS SURVIVOR 2015: Results -> Sampo wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Welcome to the first Amorphis Survivor!
There will be 12 albums in this game. It's gonna have the most songs out of all the Survivors I've hosted - 145!
We start off with the first two albums - The Karelian Isthmus and Tales From The Thousand Lakes.
This first round will last for a while; if you can't vote right away, just post here and I'll wait for you - I won't update until everyone's voted.

Now, for the bonus material:

In the game, The Karelian Isthmus has no bonuses, but the actual album has a bonus cover song called Vulgar Necrolatry, which is a cover of a pre-Amorphis band called Abhorrence.
Folk Of The North, Moon & Sun and Moon & Sun, Part 2 - North's Son appear on Black Winter Day EP which features the said song and a cover of The Doors' Light My Fire which already featured in Battle Of Covers. These songs also featured as bonuses on some version of Tales album, so they'll be a part of that album in this game too :)

Enjoy!

I'm going to start by playing my cards close to my chest, and just vote for 5 songs.
  • Three short instrumentals that are beautiful in an album context, but don't match up as standalones: Karelia, Thousand Lakes, Folk of the North
  • What I think is a fairly weak "opening" track: The Gathering
  • A song that doesn't live up to its name, because it's not doomy enough: First Doom

Karelia, The Gathering, Black Embrace, The Pilgrimage, Misery Path, Thousand Lakes, Folk of the North.

They changed a lot between these two albums. They definitely sound more like the Amorphis I know in the second album.

Night Prowler, have you considered the Privilige of Evil EP? Maybe not because the majority of these songs come back in Karelian? Still, Excursing from Existence and Privilege of Evil aren't. And its production is really strong. Not just demo quality. It has some kind of fat sound, and I think I am not wrong by saying that many prefer it over the Karelian sound. Produced by Timo Tolkii! :)

And Vulgar Necrolatry is on all CD versions of Karelian. Leaving it off feels as a big omission to all people who follow them since the early/mid nineties. I find it hard to see it as cover since the vocalist and main (first credited) songwriter is none other than Tomi Koivusaari himself. 1 + 1 = 2, enough reasons to have it in the game. ;) 3rd reason: it's awesome, one of the better songs. They still play it sometimes.

Last edited:
I just took it as a fun bonus end-of-year survivor, since the 2015 Music thread indicates quite a few of us liked Amorphis' new album. And I see them tomorrow. :)

@Forostar: I see that release as more of a demo, that's why I didn't include it. And also Vulgar Necrolatry was tricky too... I always saw it marked as a bonus cover song. I mean, it's a great song (which I've heard live), so it's not like I was biased against it :)

Karelia, The Gathering, The Pilgrimage, Thousand Lakes, First Doom, In the Beginning, Folk of the North

Karelia and Folk Of The North are really good intros, so won't vote for them yet.

Voting for Warriors Trial, Black Embrace, Misery Path from the first album, and Thousand Lakes, First Doom, In The Beginning, To Father's Cabin, Moon & Sun and Moon & Sun, Part 2 - North's Son from the second album.

I mostly prefer the re-recorded versions of some of these songs and I took that into account... I really don't like the clean vocalist on Tales, but I won't vote for Black Winter Day because I love the version with Tomi on vocals :)

I'll be updating this (and BoC and SX) tomorrow, so get your votes in while you still can :) Last update this year :D

SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Eliminated:
Thousand Lakes - 4 votes
Karelia - 3 votes
The Gathering - 3 votes
First Doom - 3 votes
Folk Of The North - 3 votes

From the Karelian Isthmus: everything except Sign, Exile and Lost Name...
From Tales: the three less good songs at the close of the (original) album, and then Moon and Sun

1. Exile of The Sons of Uisliu
  2. The Lost Name of God
  3. Drowned Maid
  4. Moon & Sun

Last edited:
I'm surprised The Gathering was gone so quickly, thought it was one of the best songs on the debut. Still warming up to that album, Tales is a classic obviously.

I'm gonna start voting in this now.

So Grail's Mysteries, Warriors Trial, Black Embrace, Misery Path, In The Beginning, Father's Cabin (those "vocals" were terrible), Moon & Sun

Back