America: Land of the Free or Home of the Dangerous?

Pretty much.  But it's right in the bloody Constitution - Canada considers the marriage legally valid, thus it must be in the US of A.

I don't expect we will see it - very few Americans have come north for a wedding.  Most go to Massachusetts.  When Canada legalized gay marriage, the right wing barely made a stink about it, likely because of this possibility.  And I expect most governments just recognize it, if it happens, and don't fight it.  No point.

Sure, that makes sense.  Just hush it up and brush it under the rug.  Make a big noise and everyone will be going north of the border.

Raven said that around the half of the U.S. citizens don't believe in evolution. I thought that's reason enough to think that there's lots of people within that group who may be fundamentalistic, often not open towards the groups I just mentioned.

Also, keep in mind Foro, that a lot of this information comes from carefully selected polling and statistics conducted by members of the media that are politically slanted in one direction or another. I put absolutely no faith in media polls around this country anymore. I can't remember if you have ever said; have you actually been to the U.S. before?

Even after reading that, its hard to get through my head.  I really never thought that many Americans believed that.

Goes to show what I know.  When I took my Catholicism class, the nun said "you can believe in evolution and the big bang, as long as you believe that god gave it a kick to get started".  I always found that interesting.

In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.

This is the sentence that stuck out the most to me in these findings.

Irregardless, I have no problems with people believing what they want. They have the freedom to do that and it really doesn't enter into the equation much in regards to day to day living for the average American anyway.

Even after reading that, its hard to get through my head.  I really never thought that many Americans believed that.

It's a poll, only 1000 + people at that, and conducted in 2001.

Yeah, I see what you are saying.  I should have read more closely.  Whats the old saying: "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Deano said:
This is the sentence that stuck out the most to me in these findings.

Irregardless, I have no problems with people believing what they want. They have the freedom to do that and it really doesn't enter into the equation much in regards to day to day living for the average American anyway.

It's a poll, only 1000 + people at that, and conducted in 2001.

Legally, polls are required to put in wording warning the reviewer that their polls could have slanted people.  HOWEVER, Gallup is one of the most recognized polling companies in the world.  They are extremely good at wording questions, and making sure that their 1000 people reviewed are a decent sample of Americans.

And, to me, people are certainly allowed to believe what they wish.  However, when evolution becomes a polarizing factor in society, when people are literally ignorant of what it involves and the process behind it, that smacks of poor education or poor emphasis on basic biology.  It's what allows "creation scientists" to come in and use pseudo-scientific arguments to convince people of their point of view.  Basically, I don't care if you believe evolution is right, but in order to have a proper opinion, you must be informed - the vast majority of people who are against evolution are not informed about it, and indeed, a quarter of respondents didn't know enough to say one way or the other.

That's dangerous.

It is indeed dangerous, but unfortunately you just can't force people to become informed. This isn't an issue just here in the U.S., although admittedly, it is highlighted a lot here.

Deano said:
I can't remember if you have ever said; have you actually been to the U.S. before?

I haven't. My views come from the outside world. ;)

However, I know people who live there and I am convinced that the media I see (Dutch Public television) is good enough to trust. I haven't heard about these evolution statistics before seeing this topic, but I have seen enough programs about conservative communities and their views spoken into the camera, to get an idea.

Well, I hope you get the opportunity to visit here sometime, I think you would find a much better representation than what you are used to seeing. I have only been to the Netherlands once and visited Amsterdam and The Hague (of course). I really enjoyed my short time there.

I surely hope I will have the oppurtunity indeed. However, I am not sure if a visit to one or two places might be representative for your whole country, which is so huge! :)

Glad you liked your stay in Holland!

*promo-talk on*

As you might know, Amsterdam is the most multi-cultural city of the world, and The Hague the political center of the Netherlands. Still much more to discover, even if it's such a small country. ;)

*promo-talk off*

;)

Unfortunately the most common tourist destinations for foreigners are the large cities, such as New York, Washington and Los Angeles. I would not recommend doing these on a first visit. While there is plenty to see and do in these places, it can also be too hectic and intimidating to people that aren't used to it. I would stick to places like Florida, Texas or Arizona. The people you meet will be more friendly and accommodating and you would be able to see great examples of our many geographic locations. If you do make it here and would like to see Virginia, let me know, I would be happy to serve as a tour guide. Virginia is also the state most rich in American history with more to see and do in this regard than one could accomplish in a year.

I do look forward to seeing more of Holland, if ever I get to travel Europe for pleasure, yours is the nation I would start in.

Hey, Foro, I'd be happy to show you around the flat part of the midwest, too! 

I'm around 5 hours from Chicago, 3 from St Louis and 5 from Kansas City.  But I can show you around to some pretty cool small town stuff around here, too.  We have a lot of rednecks around here, but it can be entertaining.

Well, that sounds really nice, from both of you guys! I'm not sure if it's possible the next upcoming years, since I know my wife would love to visit her cousin in NY first. But the offer goes for you as well. :)

If willing, please check this 9 minute item about right-winged, Christian Americans, (unfortunately in Dutch, but also many interviews in English) about chastity events, an anti-abortion organisation in New Jersey, a Disney kind of Creation museum in Kentucky, attacking evolution. Their theory: Men & dino's were created together, and lived at the same time, until the flood, but the dino's didn't survive that flood, because there was not enough space in the Arc of Noah.

http://www.novatv.nl/index.cfm?ln=nl&fu ... ge_id=5645
click on: *Camera sign* BEKIJK ITEM

The program was made, last December, and is connected to the elections.

Back