Alice In Chains

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Couldn't find a thread. Apparently they are working on a new album. I loved the last one but I'm very disappointed that they only played 5 songs from it live, and only 2 of them regularly. Not that I had a chance to see them live, but still.

Anyway, here's an awesome new Cantrell song that easily could've passed for an AIC song.

Yeah as soon as I posted that I went to YouTube and found that lol.

It seems a bit dull at first but by the end of the song I’m really enjoying it. Can’t wait to hear the rest of the album!

I really like the new song! Great riff, amazing bridge, and beautiful chorus as we are used to hear from AIC.

Can't wait to hear the new album and to see them in the summer!

Apparently Chris Degarmo of Queensryche plays guitar on Drone. That’ll be cool.

I'm not too into the new songs.

I'm also disappointed that the band never played the best songs from the last album. They only played the singles and sometimes not even those on festivals. Cabaret act! The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here? Never played live. Breath On A Window? Never played live. Hung On A Hook? Never played live. Choke? Only 11 times. Phantom Limb? 28 times.

Then I don't see the point in them making new stuff if they are just gonna ignore it live.

EDIT: Also just realized I said something similar in the opening post many months ago :p

I was a little disappointed about that too. I saw them 2 years ago and they only played Hollow and Stone. That album is packed with amazing, underrated songs. I think Breath on a Window and Lab Monkey would be great live. I doubt they'll play anything else from it now, that ship has sailed.

I'm seeing them two days after the new album comes out. I wonder if they'll play anything besides the singles.

I enjoy both new songs a lot! I also wish they played more from their new records with DuVall, they are as great as the ones with Layne in my opinion, but I totally understand why they don't do it.

I think it's clear why it's very important for a band (especially with their legacy) to release a new album. That way they are staying relevant, and it's a great occasion for a world tour. We can listen to their new records and enjoy them every day, but we can only hear them live very rarely (if you live outside of US), so I am not that bothered by it, although I see your point.

I managed to get my hands on a copy and am currently halfway through right now. It gives off a lot of Black Gives Way to Blue vibes, a different direction from Dinosaurs. I must say though that Red Giant is by far the heaviest thing they've ever done.

And my listen is complete! The second half of the album is way better than the first half! Fly and Drone feel somewhat incomplete, and I can't really remember the title track even though i just listened to it 45 minutes ago. Maybe is pretty much Choke 2.0 and All I Am is absolutely amazing! I think it could have went on for another two minutes or so but it's probably one of the most heartfelt songs they've ever done. Very good stuff.

I'll give a full review in a couple days or so. I'm seeing them play on Sunday and would absolutely love to hear a couple of these played live.

Usually Alice In Chains doesn’t rotate setlists on tours but rather switches the order up. I’m really hoping they do as Rainier Fog might be following the same trend as Dinosaurs. Last night was the first show of the tour and they played 3 songs from the new album, and every other song they played I’ve already seen back in 2016. #CabaretAct!

Setlist in spoilers:
1. Never Fade
2. Check my Brain
3. Again
4. Them Bones
5. Dam That River
6. Hollow
7. Last of my Kind
8. Down in a Hole
9. No Excuses
10. Stone
11. Nutshell
12. It Ain’t Like That
13. We Die Young
14. So Far Under
15. Man in the Box

16. The One You Know
17. Got Me Wrong
18. Would
19. Rooster

How much of the lead vocals are Duvall would you say? More than the last two albums or much the same?

So Far Under is really the only song that Duvall sings alone. Every other song features Jerry and him in unison. He has a couple parts alone every here and there but it's pretty much the same as the last two.

Back