Adrian Smith

I dunno, I really like the reggae part. The genre — from what I’ve heard — is a lot about being happy and casting your cares aside, very appropriate to what Bruce is getting across in Tears Of The Dragon. He’s learning to like himself. It’s a cool piece after the solo and leads into that final chorus brilliantly. Honestly like it more than what H did with it live, although it was cool too.

At risk of starting a 'he butchered my solo' conversation here, I really don't like what Adrian did to that. I don't think it worked at all.

I dunno, I really like the reggae part.

I really like reggae, for me it's quintessential summer music, but I don't find it in TOAD that interesting.

At risk of starting a 'he butchered my solo' conversation here, I really don't like what Adrian did to that. I don't think it worked at all.

You mean the clean licks? They were there played every time just weren't as prominent (in volume) when Roy Z was on board.

The planet rock uk radio streaming interview to Adrian about his book, Maiden and musical influences

Some interesting bits:

- he wanted to play guitar and be in a band after he heard Deep Purple's ''Highway Star''. Machine Head album changed his life.
- he and Dave used to play songs of Santana, The Beatles, Thin Lizzy (he mentioned ''Whiskey In The Jar'').
- he thinks UFO are one of the few bands that combined melody and rough edge perfectly.
- Michael Schenker was his guitar hero as a kid.

He also selected some of his favorite songs:

UFO - Lights Out (he likes this song a lot)
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
King's X - Dogman
Pat Travers - Makin' Magic
Joe Satriani - Summer Song

Last edited:
Which is incredible, as Schenker is less than 2 years older than him. Schenker was incredible since he was 15.

You can clearly hear Michael Schenker’s influence in Adrian’s playing. What a phenomenal guitar player, someone who can make a guitar cry in ways that nobody else can.

Back