Adrian Smith

Fantastic album. I like all the songs except that spoken interlude. Production/sound quality is absolutely fantastic, H should totally produce next Maiden album. All instruments sound clear and heavy. I like the vocals a lot, very original and unique, though maybe a little bit too weird to people who don't like harsher vocals. H is in top form here. A little bit more of double bass would've been good, but overall drums are nicely played. I liked the addition of viola on some songs. Overall, my second favorite 2012 album, after Borknagar's "Urd".

Fantastic album. I like all the songs except that spoken interlude. Production/sound quality is absolutely fantastic, H should totally produce next Maiden album.
Pass. Ultra triggering doesn't fit Maiden. Awoken Broken has a great Metal production though.

Thanks for the link, Forostar.
Wow, Urchin played so many gigs in 1979. I never thought they were so active.

You're welcome Ariana. It must have been frustrating that the band did not get much bigger. They worked hard for it. The reviews they got for their singles (source http://evilways-urchin.webs.com/discography.htm) are pretty devastating as well:

1977-05-21NMEBlackLeatherFntasy-review.jpg

1978-04-29NMEShesARoller-review.jpg

Finally finished my Awoken Broken song-by-song review (earlier songs on pages 6 and 7):

10. Search for Bliss
Dynamic song with a stimulating bass. The song's sound and dynamics remind me of Inside the Machine (from Brucey's Skunkworks album). Adrian does co-lead vocals in the chorus and he brings 2 solos. First a "modern" one and the second is a "classic" one that I like in particular.

11. Snake Ladders
One of the lesser songs. Kinda dragging and I constantly must suppress the urge for change.
I definitely not like the chorus (monotone and repeated too often). What's interesting though, is that Adrian does the high bluesy vocals. He's really a good singer.
From 2.30 the song gets a bit more interesting with its sliding interlude and after the "crazy" and fast vocals.
But as soon as the chorus returns, it's "ah not again".

12. Mirror and the Moon
Beautiful album closer. First I was afraid we'd get some Journeyman kind of song (light song without any tension) but I was pleasantly surprised by the chorus which is pretty different with its darker colour.

Tough luck for Urchin, obviously. Personally, I like both singles, especially She's A Roller.

I heard that some record company actually released some of Urchin's work but I haven't got round to look for it. Anyway, Adrian said in an interview that they did so without any permission from him or any other Urchin member. Not that he minded, it was just that the quality of the sound wasn't as good as he wanted it to be for a release.

On that site you can find info on how to order those albums (I still need to do that myself!).
But I wonder if these are the same releases you and Adrian are talking about. Do you have a link or other info on what Adrian said? Sounds interesting. I don't think I ever read or heard him talk about Urchin, apart from the Maiden biography and the Maiden vid 12 Wasted Years. Maybe what you said was in the biography, but I must have forgotten about it, then. Thanks in advance!

I am also curious when that material was recorded. Another reason to order those releases (if the info is in there).

Actually, it was an interview for a Bulgarian radio about the time of Awoken Broken release. I'll try to find it and translate that piece into English.

No problem, it's a pleasure.
I tried to find the actual recording of the interview, since it's in English, but no chance. I only found the text of the interview. Here's the part that refers to Adrian's old side projects:

Q: Adrian, I'm going to ask you about an old band of yours - Urchin. What do you remember of the times you spent with Urchin, before you joined Maiden?

A: Those were good times. That was one of my first bands and I remember we turned an old shed into a rehearsal room, where we also used to sleep. We also did a lot of gigs – I remember we had 150-200 gigs a year, even back in the 70's. I still meet some of the guys and we have a lot of fun recalling the places we played or things that happened back then. Great memories!

Q: A small label, called High Roller recently released two compilations of Urchin records. I don't know whether you were involved in it, but my question is if you have any plans to release similar compilations, containing your works with A.S.A.P and Psycho Motel to save collection maniacs all their troubles?

A: You know, this may be a very good idea – releasing a compilation of those records. I also have many records that we did in the 90's, with The Untouchables, as well as with the initial version of Psycho Motel, which was at first called Skeleton Crew, haha! I have plenty of things that I could release if people are interested in hearing them. As far as Urchin records go, I must tell you, those are things that we recorded on a 4-track analogue recorder (not sure that's the correct term, sorry!), in somebody's basement, more than 30 years ago. These people from the label you mentioned had no permission to release the records, not from me, or any other Urchin member. They didn't even ask if they could release them. I'm not that kind... but still they could have called.

Q: That's strange! I find it surprising they didn't get in touch with you.

A: It's not very difficult to get in touch with me. They just didn't want to do it. They release some old demo tapes of bands they never ask for permission. If they had asked, I would've probably agreed, but these records are just not good enough. It's not much of a problem but I got a bit frustrated, that's all. I was surprised as well.

Very interesting! Thanks a lot! :)

Now I wonder if he'll still release this stuff himself or not. If yes, then I am not in a rush to get these non-permission releases.

You're welcome.

I was thinking the same thing, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more interest in his projects now than back in the 90s.

Thanks for finishing the review Foro. Good stuff.
I think I posted this on another thread recently, but Awoken Broken is right there with Clockwork Angels as my favourite album of the year.
Mirror and the Moon has emerged as one of my favourite songs.
Also, the Scientist (good song too) was a regular album track when I bought it from iTunes Canada. No Mooncusser though.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone happen to know how hard it would be to find Silver and Gold on vinyl? Now, I'm not talking online like Ebay or Amazon but somewhere random at like a record store or a flea market type place? I know the cd is out of print but I'd assume that there would be used vinyl floating around out there.

Any info would be great! :)

No idea really.
It would be logical to assume that there are still copies available somewhere but finding one would take some serious perseverance, I think. On the other hand, there were a couple of cds for sale on eBay last time I checked, so finding one online would be much easier. :)

Thanks for the info! :)

I usually go to places that sell used records and I'm going to one this weekend so I wanted find out what my chances were of finding a copy. Needless to say, if I do happen to find one, it will make my day! :D I want to make it a sort of 'mission' to see if I can find it just somewhere around but if not, then I always have the internet to fall back on.

Silver and Gold was obscure when it was new and was a released at a time when CDs were starting to take over.
Chances of finding used vinyl would be pretty slim I think.
But it would be a nice find if you could.
(I'll cling to the CD I bought back when the album was new.)

I'm not going to get my hopes up in finding it but I'll definitely be on the look out for it any record place I go. Hell, if I find it used on CD somewhere I'd be happy with that! I've heard the album and love it and it would just be a really cool thing to have on vinyl or CD. Like I said earlier, if all else fails, I have the internet :).

What really needs to happen though is a reissue.... Come on Adrian! There's people out there who love the A.S.A.P record! We deserve a reissue! Then again, not sure if hes the one who decides that sort of thing...

Back