Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

In the Holy Smoke official video Janick appears to play a natural finish stratocaster with an uk flag sticker on it! Not sure if is natural or yellow, the image is not good!

In the Holy Smoke official video Janick appears to play a natural finish stratocaster with an uk flag sticker on it! Not sure if is natural or yellow, the image is not good!

It's a stripped 70's strat that has Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. Used to be black when he played with Gillan and White Spirit. It was his main guitar before Maiden. In White Spirit it had a black pickguard, but with Gillan it already had this one and the GB sticker.

Warning for the haters... Vintage Janick prancing.

Last edited:
In the Rainmaker video, Adrian seems to play a Gibson Les Paul Custom in Alpine White with a black pickguard.

Yup, probably a loaned guitar. Janick is also playing what looks like a loaned white Strat, Steve is playing his 1 signature bass (probably loaned, again) and Dave is playing the HSS non-floyded Strat he was using on DOD.

Does Janick ever use Floyd Rose?

He had a Charvel with it during No Prayer sessions (Holy Smoke video)... But I can imagine why he doesn't. It's because he would probably cut his hand badly with it while doing his stage tricks (FR's are quite dangerous for windmills and things like that).

I can’t understand how his guitar stays in tune during the entire concert without the Floyd.

I can’t understand how his guitar stays in tune during the entire concert without the Floyd.

Locking tuners, graphite, lots of guitar changes (15 on the current tour, he is basically changing guitars before every song that has a bit of clean in it or needs a wireless guitar; the only 2 times he plays 2 songs in a row with the same guitar is FTGGOG -> Wicker Man and SOTC -> Icarus, because the latter two have no clean playing in them) and almost no tremolo use.

But still, even with a traditional Strat trem, some people manage to keep the guitar in tune. Jeff Beck, EVH (1st album) and Gary Moore in the early/mid 80's for instance.

Also, Janick's guitar is probably a bit off anyway, it just isn't as noticeable since Maiden has three guitarists. It was definitely out of tune for basically all of the 90s live releases (even the bootlegs) although admittedly back then he actually used the tremolo which would affect it.

Also, Janick's guitar is probably a bit off anyway, it just isn't as noticeable since Maiden has three guitarists. It was definitely out of tune for basically all of the 90s live releases (even the bootlegs) although admittedly back then he actually used the tremolo which would affect it.

Well, I doubt that, since Ade is a tunning nazi (according to his own words) and would probably drive him crazy).

Didn't Adrian use many more guitars on e.g. the World Slavery Tour (haven't checked Dave, but the same might be applied to him)?
At least, he carried around more:
[/spoiler]

By the way, I always liked this photo from 1983, although it doesn't state which were used ;) :
guitars2.jpg
New member hi everyone, what is that piece of white scratch plate I see sneaking through behind the SG that is on the front right of shot?

Saw this interesting video today. Shows an ESP Firebird-style guitar apparently owned by Dave around the Seventh Son-era. Not the type of guitar I'd expect to see him using!

This studio isn't very far from where I live, so I could go along and give it a play if I wanted...

Well, Bill Barclay was Dave's long time guitar tech, so I assume ESP build few guizars in the custom shop fror Dave to try when he was endorsing them. He maybe didn't like the shape, so he gave the guitar to Bill.

AFAIK Dave was ESP endorser until Jackson won him over after H told him how much you can customise the Jackson (I think his Candy Apple Red Jackson has the same neck profile as the Kossoff Strat and Adrian's White Jackson was modelled after his 57 Strat).

Saw this interesting video today. Shows an ESP Firebird-style guitar apparently owned by Dave around the Seventh Son-era. Not the type of guitar I'd expect to see him using!

This studio isn't very far from where I live, so I could go along and give it a play if I wanted...

OMG, the guy selling this thing is such a tool. He is selling it for $25,000.

This thing was clearly never played on stage with Iron Maiden. He has no provenance that it was owned by Dave or Adrian, but only indicates that it was owned by Bill Barkley. His evidence for that is a letter from a used guitar store 20 years ago. But, it comes with a tear out of the Yellow Pages show me the listing for the guitar store, so I guess it must be real and worth 25 grand right? :innocent:

Beyond that, I would be embarrassed to play a guitar with such cheesy graphics.

Back