Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

Lots of reading and being a obsessed with guitar gear and playing...:p

The Black FR Classic Strat is the guitar which was used on and off from 99 till today. Two years ago it had the pickguard and pickups replaced with DiMarzios, but it seems that the pickups were switched back.

How do you know all this stuff about which guitar was retired at what time and replaced with an identical copy?

Janick has mentioned it when interviewed. Hardly a typical question for a mainstream rock magazine, though.

Dave Murray interview in the recent Guitarist Mag with photos of guitars. The black Floyd Rose Classic strat has the Hot Rails pickguard again.

Damn, I should have bought that yesterday.

Janick has mentioned it when interviewed. Hardly a typical question for a mainstream rock magazine, though.

Yes Jan mentioned it, but there is also a photo of his guitar cases and serial numbers on them, which shows that all the guitars are vintage reissues or custom shop apart from his Iron Maiden guitar.

Dave has used Marshall amps his entire career. How would they justify calling a Victory amp a signature amp when all his classic signature sounds came from Marshall amps?

H's LADO at LAD is been always my favourite. Dave's Strat at hammersmith '82 is THE Heavy Metal Guitar.

But you got to remember... adds are something and reality is something else. For example look at G3 2003, the beginning of Satch's endorsment deal with Peavey. It was said that he was using 3 modified Peavey triple X amplifiers, but if you look carefuly there are two Marshalls in a rack by his guitars. Also the end of his endorsment deal: Peavey was saying that they are developing a special 50-watt JSX for his Chickenfoot gig and what happens? Satch shows at the first CF show with three Marshall JVM 210 half stacks.

P.S. Dave was also endorsed by Crate in 1992.

But you got to remember... adds are something and reality is something else. For example look at G3 2003, the beginning of Satch's endorsment deal with Peavey. It was said that he was using 3 modified Peavey triple X amplifiers, but if you look carefuly there are two Marshalls in a rack by his guitars. Also the end of his endorsment deal: Peavey was saying that they are developing a special 50-watt JSX for his Chickenfoot gig and what happens? Satch shows at the first CF show with three Marshall JVM 210 half stacks.

P.S. Dave was also endorsed by Crate in 1992.
Okay, so they were certainly still endorsing GK around SSoaSS! :p

I perhaps should have been clearer, since you are clearly referring to touring gear; but I meant they were still using GK amps in the studio when recording SSoaSS. I'm sure they were using Marshall equipment in the studio too. Yes/no?

EDIT: Guitar World magazine article from October 1988 (tour had started) has some quotes, from Adrian anyway, talking about guitars & amps they used in the studio during SSoaSS:
Adrian says he brought about twenty different axes into the studio, but ended up using just his main Jackson Strat: "It just comes up trumps every time." His amps are new-model Gaillen-Kruegers that are rack-mounted with his effects, a T.C. Electronic 2290 and a Lexicon delay. He uses 2 x 12-inch Gallien-Krueger stacks dotted around the stage for a monitoring system, the real details of which he's keeping mum about because of what might happen "once people find out I've got me own system... !" And he's even got a way to bring his studio sound to the stage.

"I've got real studio-quality effects for the road this time," he explains, "and with some help from the record's second engineer, Stephane Wissner, I can get the same sound on stage. The Germans are so efficient; he was really on the case in the studio. He wrote down every setting for every effect I used on the record and then sent them to me.

Last edited:
Yes I'm aware of the guitarists using those solid state amps on SIT. I meant something along the lines of "nearly his entire career".
Why don't they just release a Marshall signature series then? I think it's bullshit to make a signature series on something that doesn't fit the definition of 'signature'.

Dave has used Marshall amps his entire career. How would they justify calling a Victory amp a signature amp when all his classic signature sounds came from Marshall amps?

Yes I'm aware of the guitarists using those solid state amps on SIT. I meant something along the lines of "nearly his entire career".
Why don't they just release a Marshall signature series then? I think it's bullshit to make a signature series on something that doesn't fit the definition of 'signature'.

This is the way that business works and has always worked. Smaller companies are easier to get better deals out of than large ones like Marshall - Murray is nowhere near the status and influence of Marshall and a partnership on the large scale is unlikely. Marshall releases signature models based on people like Zakk Wylde and Kerry King. Janick couldn't even get a Fender deal, and went with Sandberg.

Iron Maiden poses a big problem in marketability, because the members are hardly known at all except by the fans of the band.

This is the way that business works and has always worked. Smaller companies are easier to get better deals out of than large ones like Marshall - Murray is nowhere near the status and influence of Marshall and a partnership on the large scale is unlikely. Marshall releases signature models based on people like Zakk Wylde and Kerry King. Janick couldn't even get a Fender deal, and went with Sandberg.

Iron Maiden poses a big problem in marketability, because the members are hardly known at all except by the fans of the band.

Yeah but Jackson took the risk with Adrian signature and it wasn't a faliure. Still don't know how can Kerry King have his signature model with Marshall.

Back