Aces High

How good is Aces High on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Aces High

I can never listen to Aces High without remembering it was the first thing I ever saw Maiden play in all its live glory. It is the perfect album and concert opener and epitomizes the band’s rocking side. It’s short but it’s still epic in the way it rolls, turns, dives and lives to fly. Great chorus, great energy. All-time great song. 10

Aces High is a great rocker and the perfect album / concert opener, but it's not one of those instant 10s to me. Bruce sounds great on vocals, the solos are excellent, but I find it lacks just a little something. I'm not sure what exactly, but it's stopping me giving it a 10 like the best classics. 9/10 for me. It's still my equal 3rd favourite song off the album though.

This is possibly Maiden's best rocker.  It was both the first Maiden song I heard on record and the first I saw live.  I still give it a 9, with 10 reserved for Rime on this album.

LooseCannon said:
We're onto Powerslave! Yes, this song is great. It has a combination of finesse and raw power, rather like the Spitfires the track tries to emulate. Bruce is at his best here, one of his top 5 vocal performances in Maiden for sure. The solos are great, the music rocks, you can close your eyes and almost be in the Battle of Britain.

Yep. 10/10.

Since LC said it all, I don't need to do anything but vote.

Aces High is full of gas. Gives energy everytime you listen to it. 10/10

Like so many others, this was the first Maiden track I ever heard, and what a song. Great intro that really builds then lets fly. Great solo, great vocals, great riffs, just an awesome song 10/10

9/10. One of the best riffs Maiden have done. Combine that with some great lyrics, solos and vocal performance to give it a very strong rating. The song's full of energy but doesn't quite have the lasting appeal The Trooper has on me, so it goes below it in terms of marks.

Perfect 10.  Very few rockers come off as onomatopeic (sp?) as this one.  It makes me feel like I'm in a dogfight.  Probably the best song of the shorter ones that Maiden's done.  Great note holding by Bruce.

I like every single second of this song. The Flight 666 version kicks so much ass...

10/10.

This is where all started for me, 25 years ago. The first Iron Maiden song I ever heard. All these years later, it's still powerful, mesmerizing, soul lifting and second to none. One of the best vocal performances by any singer in any era and style of music, one of the best produced records ever with every instrument sounding perfectly. The solos are mind blowing and sonically depict, in perfect form, a dog eat dog air battle. What else can be said? 10!!!

This is probably maidens best rocker other than the trooper. great riffs, solos, vocals, drumming, bass. Its sll perfection. This should be the 'mainstream' maiden song.

An absolute ripper of an opener.

The subdued riff that kicksoff the song and the album is epic, anthemic and emotional all wrapped up in one.

Solos are still fun to listen to 25 years later and The Air Raid Siren soars above the clouds.

The artwork is one of the best eddies too...which adds to the songs icon-ness.

Re: Aces High

9/10, maybe the best opening rocker on any Maiden album, I love how the arrangement is (almost) symmetric (intro, verse, chorus, pre-solo bridge, solo, post-solo bridge, verse, chorus, outro). I also love Adrian's tremolo lick during the second half of the choruses and his solo. And of course, Bruce's vocals. It's incredible that he sung this for almost a year as the opening song on the Powerslave tour.

Ranko said:
I love how the arrangement is (almost) symmetric (intro, verse, chorus, pre-solo bridge, solo, post-solo bridge, verse, chorus, outro).

Well noted. I am curious if we could make a group of Maiden songs (no clue at this point how many) which have (almost) symmetric arrangements.

How can I not give this 10? It rocked last night away, and boy did it ever. People on the dance floor already started looking at me puzzled because I knew every word and every note of this song. this is what heavy metal is all about.

What an opener! Predictable or not, this is a defining song for Heavy Metal genre. 10/10

9 out of 10... My favorite song on the album, and one of the band's best openers. This is an adreneline charged piece of music that creates yet another great mind movie... it's breathless pace conjures up visions of diving Messerschmitts and swooping Spitfires. Nicko's machine gun effect is worth noting and listening for...

This is the song that got me into maiden, and its still in my top 5 maiden songs. I love it! :D

Back