Out of the Shadows: 7/10+1
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg: 10/10+1
For the Greater Good of God: 10/10+1
Lord of Light: 10/10±0
The Legacy: 10/10±0

Average: 8.6/10 +0.3

3 more tracks making it to 10 is big.
Lord of Light remains the best.
Different Worlds stays outside the realms of "actively dislike".

Those are 4 updates done I believe, for the s/t, VXI, AMoLaD and TBoS

Last edited:
Just went through this in the individual song threads.

Different World - 8/10 >
These Colours Don't Run - 7/10 >
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 9/10 >
The Pilgrim - 7/10 >
The Longest Day - 10/10 >
Out Of The Shadows - 10/10 >
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg - 9/10 >
For The Greater Good Of God - 10/10 >
Lord Of Light - 8/10 >
The Legacy - 7/10 >

Average: 8.5/10
Weighted: 8.6/10

A surprising latter-era classic, and clearly the best of the reunion-era albums, in my opinion. I would go further and say that A Matter Of Life And Death is the album that The X Factor always aspired but ultimately failed to be -- a moody, melancholy masterpiece that tackles big ideas in a very personal way. This is how you do it, gentlemen.

I'm so glad I got to see them play the whole album live. What a great show. I just wish they'd released an official video of it...

(Album rankings by person post >)

Last edited:
Different World - 7
These Colours Don't Run - 7
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 10
The Pilgrim - 9
The Longest Day - 6
Out of the Shadows - 8
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg - 9
For the Greater Good of God - 10
Lord of Light - 7
The Legacy - 9

A total of 81 out of a possible 100.

Different World - 8
TCDR - 7
BTATS - 10
Pilgrim - 8
Longest Day - 9
OOTS - 8
TROBB - 9
FTGGOG - 9
Lord of Light - 9
Legacy - 9

This time around : 8.6 again? I believe I didn't give a single 10 last time, curious what songs perked up. I guess Pigrim...

I would go further and say that A Matter Of Life And Death is the album that The X Factor always aspired but ultimately failed to be -- a moody, melancholy masterpiece that tackles big ideas in a very personal way. This is how you do it, gentlemen.
This is something I actually thought about for a very long time, and while I agree that it's a better similarly-styled album (even though I love the other album very much), it's not nearly as personal as TXF. No Maiden album (or song) is, really.

AMOLAD is good but inconsistent. DW is an excellent opener, but TCDR is just... there, I guess. Necessary to the album but not outstanding as a song. It does get better again with the double shot of BTATS and TP, but the next double shot of TLD and OOTS are as bad as the previous are good. However, the last four songs are all great and it ends on an absolute masterpiece.

But TXF has eleven songs and each of them are perfect and each of them are important to the album as a whole. They’re similar works but very different at the same time. The X Factor is better.

But TXF has eleven songs and each of them are perfect and each of them are important to the album as a whole. They’re similar works but very different at the same time. The X Factor is better.
Take this the other way around and it's exactly how I feel.

AMOLAD does not feel very personal at all. Coming Home the most, but in some exhuberant way. TXF atmosphere is mostly different from AMOLAD. The albums have the long length in common but feel different in my ears.
Outside. 4 is just songs I don't care about much. But I'll probably change the ranking system after I finish re-listening to all the albums but currently I think it's about as good as Sun and Steel.
As bad as. 4 is a weak grade: dislike.

Hahaha yeah what a blunder. Well, then definitely not that personal at all. The most unpersonal album perhaps?

I suppose Out of the Shadows could be if Bruce had his own kids births in mind, but I'm not so sure. Yep, not very personal at all.

Guys, seriously, stop with the "this is the right way to grade songs" shit. It's very annoying. Is it that hard to understand that people just do it differently? Try not to pick on those who think in a different way than you do. It's completely fine as long as it's a joke and nothing more, but it becomes very clear when it happens that some people actually mean what they say about it.

Back