Out of the Shadows

How good is Out of the Shadows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
This is an extremely powerful and emotional song, and the last on the album under the 7-minute mark. The acoustic backdrop was an excellent choice, as it creates a very calming atmosphere to fit its sad yet very beautiful lyrics. Outstanding guitar work and a great vocal delivery from Bruce. 8.

A heavy opening riff with backing acoustic guitars gives way to a sweet clean lead with some electric fills. Bruce delivers an excellent soft verse on a bed of tender arpeggios, eventually kicking into a soaring, glorious chorus.

Another round of verse and chorus, then we get a very tasteful solo and another round of the chorus. A nice melodic break follows, eventually building back into that excellent chorus, and wrapping up with a soft outro. "The man who casts no shadow has no soul..."

I love how the lyrics might be about a vampire contemplating the meaninglessness of immortality, or might be a metaphor for a recluse who is reluctant to rejoin the world, or perhaps a blend of both.

Superb. Aside from a few of those staccato notes at the start of the solo, I wouldn't change a thing. 10/10.

Maybe not the most inspired track in the way it's written, but it manages to have a unique sound which keeps it interesting. Extremely good use of the three guitars - nice guitar fills throughout from Dave, very nice acoustic accompaniment from Janick and H delivers a great main solo. Bruce gives a very powerful and emotional performance of some very evocative lyrics, he doesn't sound bored to me :rolleyes:

What really makes this track stand out to me on this track is its placement on the album. This is a bright spark of hope and beauty in among all the doom and gloom. 8/10

This song is the reason why Brave New World is my current favorite album. Imagine AMOLAD without this song..

"Coming Home" possibly. It is a better written song, but the overall sound of TFF drags every song down for me. Tears is good, I don't put it quite on this level though.

I turned on AMOLAD for the first time in a while driving home in the car today.

Apart from this being one of the most boring and unmemorable Iron Maiden songs, I found something else to nitpick about. The solo is one of the worst Iron Maiden solos ever. I have no idea what Adrian was trying to do. The rest of the solos on the album had been so good up to this point and this just went absolutely nowhere. Very anti-clamactic. If this solo had been somewhat similar to Gates of Urizen (in my mind both similar songs, but Gates is way better) then maybe this song could have been saved. Worst reunion era song. I lowering my vote to a three.

...one of the most boring and unmemorable Iron Maiden songs,

yD-dQYN8ZBKHybi_2YKrCZo7lP0=.gif

The solo is one of the worst Iron Maiden solos ever. I have no idea what Adrian was trying to do. The rest of the solos on the album had been so good up to this point and this just went absolutely nowhere.

This is interesting. Despite my love of the album, I think it has some of the worst Maiden solos (you mentioned the solos up to this song, These Colours and Longest Day in particular are pretty poor shows) but this one has been one of the few standouts to me.

Back