2020 (2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo

Yes, thankfully the turbocharged Nike 100m spikes were not approved, so I don't expect Bolt's record will be broken but it's a matter of time something equivalent to be approved in the future.

Still, just as Jesse Owens, it will be extremely difficult to "break" his legacy.
Today I understand (and have seen explained) that the new spikes (which are apparently allowed) are still clearly faster. I can understand how that is unfair towards older athletes who were not allowed to renew their material.

Obviously today's spikes are faster than 2016 or earlier but I was talking about the spikes below which Nike claims can boost times up to 4% and they are not allowed.

spikes.png

It's not about the olympics per se but about waterpolo and handball, and on the example of waterpolo game between Cro and Srb, when someone is held underwater for 20-30 seconds and judge does nothing, because he doesn't perceive it or just allows the type of the play, do you feel like it gets in the way of the sport? For some time I feel like handball and waterpolo neds VAR, handball needs some serious rules about what consitutes a "passive attack" among others, waterpolo needs VAR and drone cameras submerged deep in the pool. The subjective impression referees have on the game sways the game a lot.

waterpolo game between Cro and Srb, when someone is held underwater for 20-30 seconds and judge does nothing, because he doesn't perceive it or just allows the type of the play, do you feel like it gets in the way of the sport?
holy cow.

Just re-watched the women's 100m final. Elaine Thompson-Herah seems to wear the Nike Zoom MaxFly which have some similarities with the unauthorized Viperfly (posted above) but are not as fast. I believe this is the model you've been talking about @Forostar

100m men favorites Trayvon Bromell as per this article wears New Balance and Andre de Grasse Puma, Lyles I believe Adidas, so Bolt's records might be safe for now.

Max_1800x1800.jpg

Phenomenal race in the womens 100 meter. The wind was -0,6. With better conditions I think it could have been a world record.

I can understand how that is unfair towards older athletes who were not allowed to renew their material.
Well, many of the official records are from the worst doping era anyway. That's more unfair than new material.

I mean, how many DDR/SSSR top athletes in the 70s and 80s were clean? And some high-profile Western athletes as well, like Ben Johnson. So if new and better shoes can help erase records from that era - yes please.

Most official records have been blown away in the last 10 years, depends on the sport, but some still remain. New tech, new training regimens, the expansion of sport to more areas of the world, we are finding better, stronger, faster athletes.

But I think the growth of tech is fine, as long as everyone has access to the same.

It is satisfying that these old records were not blown away by gadgets, which have nothing to do with talent or anything else personal. It was pure effort and strategy.

When Wayde van Niekerk broke Johnson's 400m WR in Rio, he stressed out that if he did that while being clean, other people can do that. Like if he was the exception.

New WR in the women's triple jump. The old record was from the first athletics world championship I remember that I followed closely - Gothenburg 1995.

The men's 400m hurdles final will be a thriller. All the big favourites (Warholm, Benjamin, Samba, and Dos Santos) showed good form and had no problems qualifying for the final.

Last edited:
No world record yet at the 100 m men. * Nods in satisfaction *
And an Italian (half American) won. The Italians win it all this year. Euro football, Eurovision, and the king number of the Games. :--)

That high jump was special. Two golden medals!

Back