2020 (2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo

1) Major sports tournaments ending in shootouts suck, and forever will. A truly ridiculous and braindead way to pay off a sporting competition.
2) Hey how about that gold medal, probably the most consequential Summer gold for Canada since Donovan Bailey won the men's 100m spring in 1996.

Yeah, I am fine with shootout type things in a long regular season. But they should do it more like Hockey playoffs in the Olympics... play until someone wins

Canada is doing well. Their best Summer Games in the post-1992 era when it comes to amount of gold medals.

1984: 10
1992: 7
2020: 6
Rest of participations: less than 5 (per edition)

Last edited:
USA has the least amount of gold medals since 1936. Their worst games of the last 85 years, although it's still a few days of course.

Well 1984 doesn't count due to boycotts. But pretty happy with 2020 so far from a medal perspective for a country of only 38 million.

Joshua Cheptegei run too tactically the 10k run a few days back and lost a gold that he shouldn't. Time will tell but he has the potential to be a top 3 long distance runner of all time, if not the greatest.

Thankfully today he did a guts race for the 5k. He seemed clearly very anxious at the starting line, yet delivered a close to OR (2008, Bekele) performance. Canadian Ahmed did an interesting final 200m stretch and took the silver while American Chelimo dived for the 3rd place.

The other Ugandan Kiplimo just the 5th place. Some expected even silver from this talented young man.

Attachments

• licensed-image.jpeg
    licensed-image.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 1
In 10 minutes it will start the most anticipated Olympic's event for me: Men's Marathon. Originally the greatest runner of all time, Kenenisa Bekele was though to participate but Ethiopian Committee decided not to support him for a reason.
We still have some great runners participating, most notably the arguably greatest Marathoner of all time, Eliud Kipchoge from Kenya.

He is the WR holder & defending Olympic Champion.
He has been unbeatable from 2014 -2019, until last years London Marathon where he suffered from ear infection.
He has born close to and lives in Kaptagat, one of the cradles for World's long distance runners. Many top runners train with him in Kaptagat training camp as Geoffrey Kamworor (former WR 1/2 Marathon), Stephen Kiprotich (Gold 2012, London Olympics), Abel Kirui (Gold 2012, London Olympics) & more.
The current running shoes carbon fiber plates revolution has been literally prototyped & tailored by Nike on his feet and resulted to his historic INEOS 1:59 Challenge performance in Vienna, when he became the first human to break the 2 hours barrier.

An article about his likely VO2max.

unnamed.jpg

What an amazing Olympic Games these were for the Dutch. Not as many gold as in Sydney (2000), but fuck... big in Japan.

Their best athletics score as a nation in the history of all Games and World Championships. The successes of the last days were too many to rave about now, but the silver medals for the 4x400m(!) and the marathon(!) should surely be mentioned.

Ahead of big sport nations like France, Germany, Italy, ahead of the rest of the EU, the Netherlands end up as a record 7th in the medal table. The highest rank ever, with a record of 36 medals (which does not always says anything because earlier Games had less medals available.)
USA had a strong last day and ends up as best nation.

2020 Summer Olympics medal table
RankTeamGoldSilverBronzeTotal
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China.svg.png
China
22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png
Japan
22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
Great Britain
22px-Russian_Olympic_Committee_flag.svg.png
ROC
22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
Australia
22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png
Netherlands
22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
Germany
22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
22px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
Brazil
22px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
New Zealand
22px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png
Cuba
22px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
Hungary
22px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png
South Korea
22px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png
Poland
22px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
Czech Republic
22px-Flag_of_Kenya.svg.png
Kenya
22px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
Norway
21Jamaica4149
22Spain38617
23Sweden3609
24Switzerland34613
25Denmark34411
26Croatia3328
27Iran3227
28Serbia3159
29Belgium3137
30Bulgaria3126

Last edited:
I only heard about scandals, doping, abuse of athletes and animals, political persecution and racist remarks by coaches during these games. Were there any sports going on?

Next to great sport I saw a couple of Germans doing some racism and horse beating. Belarussia's long arms reached into the Games indeed, trying making it difficult for their own athletes.

But the good thing is that I hardly saw athletes causing problems.

I only heard about scandals, doping, abuse of athletes and animals, political persecution and racist remarks by coaches during these games. Were there any sports going on?
Yes. The individual performances with passion and drama. That's the beauty of sport. Even though I am thousands of kilometers away, I am totally living this tournament with the people I'm seeing. These were wonderful weeks. The end of a long, long sports summer.

Last edited:
Was anyone else slightly disappointed that there wasn't much kitsch Japanese pop culture on show during the Olympics? They could have had costumed mascots like cat/apple/drummer guy for every single sport

I'm very happy with the Olympics. Lots of super exciting competitions and stellar performances, records, and historic moments.
Good result for Bulgaria overall, with 3 gold and a total of 6 medals. Sounds pathetic by some countries' standards, but we appreciate every little success.
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. :huh:

What an amazing Olympic Games these were for the Dutch. Not as many gold as in Sydney (2000), but fuck... big in Japan.
Yeah, you're welcome. Thanks to our incompetent olympic, hell, SPORTS people in general, one of those medals, women's bow and arrow, was actually a Mexican athlete, who had married a Dutch athlete, asked to train in the Netherlands, but still represent Mexico and she was told... no joke. No, if she couldn't train in Mexico she couldn't represent Mexico. Let that sink in.... the pure idiodicy of that statement came from official channels. I mean... we have little to no proper training grounds for ANY sport. Most of our atheletes buy their own equipment (our bronze medal winner in women's gymnastic for example) or train abroad, because they have to. But somehow, this ONE athlete was not allowed, so given her new nationality she represented the Netherlands instead giving you a silver medal. God I hate my country sometimes.

USA had a strong last day and ends up as best nation.

And somehow it was still their worst showing since the 30s.... Goes to show this edition of the Olympics was a small miracle that it even happened. No crowds, athletes getting COVID, All nations not doing as great as in other editions, etc..... I think there's just collective relief that they happened at all.

Was anyone else slightly disappointed that there wasn't much kitsch Japanese pop culture on show during the Olympics? They could have had costumed mascots like cat/apple/drummer guy for every single sport
I suspect a lot of this stuff was eventually cancelled due to COVID restrictions. Which led to Olympic coverage that really focused on the two most important things at the Olympics: the events and the controversies.

Back