Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A great and haunting ballad, it really gets its point across - this is one of the tracks that could never work as well with Bruce, IMHO. I also like the guitar lines in the instrumental section, remind me a bit of the even better Como Estais Amigos. 8/10.

This is a solid ballad. Very reminiscent of Fear of the Dark musically, Wasting Love specifically. Blaze gives a great performance, especially during the chorus. Very powerful stuff. Great instrumental section too. I still find it odd that this song is considered one of the lessers of the album. I think it's a highlight.

When I was a young man, I used to think this song had more than it did because Maverick said so.

I was wrong.
5/10.

5/10 crackling Blazes somehow defying extinguishing.

2 A.M. has haunting and glorious melodies, but the lyrics drag it way down. I get that Blaze was aiming his message at the everyman, this song is kind of the depressing version of Rush’s Working Man, but the chorus is far too simplistic. Janick’s guitar playing is stellar, though, and the overall mood is deliciously somber. Blaze echoes the guitar melody at the end and it’s truly a great moment. Too bad about those silly, generic lyrics.

It's been quite a while I haven't listened to this one, just giving it a listen right now and actually it's pretty good, very melancholic, the kind of song you feel like listening to when coming home late at night after having a hard day and being alone with no one there for you. Verses and chorus are ok but the best part is the instrumental which is really cool. Not a song you will remember when thinking about Maiden, even just the Blaze era, but not bad.
7/10

A quieter song, a very melancholic song as the above poster has stated, not the most memorable song but certainly far away from being one of the worst. The chorus is great and the solo is a weird one for Maiden yet it still works. 7/10

6. This song never quite did anything for me, and I consider it to be the weakest on the album. Not that it is one, but if I had to point a filler on this album, this would be it. It deviates too much from the rest of the music on the album, not in a good way. The lyrics are shallow, and it isn't that musically interesting.

I like the theme, and the song altogether is alright, but I still feel like it could provide a bit more on certain aspects like the lyrics. 6/10

Another soft, moody intro that fits the theme well. Blaze actually sounds really good on the softer intro here, which makes me wonder what the hell was happening on all the other songs with soft sections!

"It's meaningless and trivial" sounds a little wonky, and the lyrics in general aren't the most interesting here, but they don't bother me.

The chorus is simple but catchy, and Blaze surprisingly sounds great on it. He's a little pitchy here and there, but not distractingly so.

The chorus gives way to a tasteful musical interlude with a nice solo, eventually returning to the chorus and a reprise of the intro. The final vocal is unfortunately weak and off key ("alone again, alone again, I'm here on my ooooooooown"), so the song ends on a bit of a sour note, but overall I'd say this is Blaze's second best vocal performance on the album.

Simple but strong overall, with a couple of weaker moments. 7/10.

Very underrated song, I re-discovered it and it has a good melancholic feel to it. The verses and the chorus are pretty good. Janick's solo is just fantastic and the twin-lead guitar harmony is also great. This song is in the vein of ''Como Estais Amigos''. Good lyrics. 8/10.

Last edited:
"2 AM" is quite an unassuming song. Lyrics are a little suspect, but it's a great performance overall. The instrumental section is great. Not one of the best songs on the album, but it's very strong. 7

Back