Language topic

What's the problem with Russian Perun, why are you so sad?
I mean you don't have to learn by reading russian classics, they should have lighter material.

So I just turned in my first assignment for the master's program pre-course. I had to read a chapter on The Scope of Sociolinguistics and write a 250 word reflection on how the discipline is relevant to English language learning and what is its view on the language teacher as an authority as a language expert.

This last part made me laugh, because I'm teaching English and I'm FAR from an expert on ANYTHING, much less language lol. But I went with it. Anyway, I read the stupid chapter, realized I should've done this in my mid-twenties when I loved reading self-indulgent academic texts and had an opinion on EVERYTHING, instead of at almost forty when I couldn't care less about any of this *sigh.* The other thing that was kind of amusing was that I'm writing away on my google doc and after a couple of paragraphs I decide to do a word count. Expecting to see something like "215," I let out a loud "HA!" when I see "320." I wasn't really done explaining my point and I actually had to CUT DOWN on my obvious bullshit. After deleting the only part I was 100% ok with going without and not really wanting to rewrite what I thought was an OK piece, I was down to 299. "Good enough," I thought and turned it in.

Sooooo, I just got accepted into the Master's progam! I still can't believe it lol. We were 51 candidates and only 15 of us got accepted. The Program is called MEILE or Master's program in the teaching of English as a foreign language. My research proposal is focused on the audio-language lab in the aid of improving pronunciation. I'm pretty excited, I might not sleep tonight lol.

Sooooo, I just got accepted into the Master's progam! I still can't believe it lol. We were 51 candidates and only 15 of us got accepted. The Program is called MEILE or Master's program in the teaching of English as a foreign language. My research proposal is focused on the audio-language lab in the aid of improving pronunciation. I'm pretty excited, I might not sleep tonight lol.
Oh great, MORE higher education here.

Having some (very limited) knowledge of German helped me out here. I definitely thought 'eekhoorn' was an acorn, though!

I think , the most oldest language in this world is TaMIL, I read in wikipedia. Any other oldest language in this world. Please reply me..

The longest language in the world is the one with the most length, I like length, length is good.

-Prance

Till date i know only the oldest language(Tamil) in this world, But till date I don't know the longest language in this world:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

So first it was the Academie Francaise and now the Real Academia de la Lengua Española that has said, "Inclusive language" aka "Politically correct" is NOT correct.

I don't remember this being an issue in any language, but English, which incidently is not overseen by an academy. This seems to be directly due to the internet and a case of "Well, if they're doing it, so should we." In English this started with the "He or she is coming over." Which is also kinda silly considering the use of "They" is perfectly valid in this case, but recently I've seen a big surge in the Hispanic comunity in the U.S favoring the term Latinx, instead of Latinos. This is particularly silly for me, because "Latinos" is in, well, Spanish. In English one would just say "Latin" or "of Latin descent." No biggie.

The argument in Spanish in favor of using inclusive language a la "he or she" stems from the idea that Spanish is inherently sexist. For example. You have a group of 4 boys. To say, "all of you/them" you say, "Todos." For a group of 4 girls you say, "Todas." "for a group comprised of 50 girls, 40 adult women and ONE baby boy.... You say "todos." Yup, the baby boy takes prescedence over the 90 female members of the group. That's why I have no issue when people say, "Todos y todas," "niños y niñas," etc. Like the argument in English that the default is male, the same applies here. If I say "Todos," the most likely mental picture most people have is that of an all male group until I say something like, "and the women laughed harder." Then one goes back and edits that mental image to include a mixed group.

However, the RAE has said that's BS along with Latinx, todes, and any other attempt at politically correct speech. The French Academy said they didn't allow it, because it would make it confusing to anyone trying to learn the language.

Have you guys noticed that with your respective languages? For those that don't speak English as their first language that is.

The argument in Spanish in favor of using inclusive language a la "he or she" stems from the idea that Spanish is inherently sexist. For example. You have a group of 4 boys. To say, "all of you/them" you say, "Todos." For a group of 4 girls you say, "Todas." "for a group comprised of 50 girls, 40 adult women and ONE baby boy.... You say "todos." Yup, the baby boy takes prescedence over the 90 female members of the group. That's why I have no issue when people say, "Todos y todas," "niños y niñas," etc. Like the argument in English that the default is male, the same applies here. If I say "Todos," the most likely mental picture most people have is that of an all male group until I say something like, "and the women laughed harder." Then one goes back and edits that mental image to include a mixed group.
Yup, Bulgarian works exactly the same. Actually, I would say most European languages work this way, provided they have genders.
I hadn't thought of that as sexist, to be honest. It's just the way the language works. But then again, we're not exactly politically correct as a nation, so the language of inclusivity is seen as a nuisance or something exotic, at best.

Back