Now Playing (Video Games)

Diablo II has possibly the greatest video game soundtrack I've ever heard. It's not as bombastic as modern soundtracks but the instrumentation is so atmospheric and so...right. Take this theme of a desert town, for example. I'll never get over the genius of this game's soundtrack.

Yes, that's great, although it's not the kind of soundtrack I'm used to. I'm more accustomed to tracks with more... bombast.

Or this one, which is for a desert with a more "wild west" theme to it.

What were your favourite cases? I'm a fan of all three final cases, the two flashback cases, and 2-2.
That sounds about right. I liked the Steel Samurai cases as well. And the final case in Trials & Tribulations did a very good and unexpected job of tying all the series’ loose ends together in the end.

Recently played a beautiful game, Seasons After Fall. The original version is in French with English subtitles, but the version I played was already fully in English. By beautiful I mean the artwork is amazing. You play a fox exploring a forest collecting the power of the seasons, yes jut like Zelda Oracle of Seasons. There's no combat, just plataforming and puzzle solving. Outside of the artwork it has little going for it. It's short (about 5 hours), the story is next to non-existent and only one of the puzzles can be consisered challenging.

However, it was exactly what I was looking for, something to keep me busy without having to think too much or be overwhelmed with side quests. So the impresionist inspired artwork and the string quartet soundtrack was perfect for me. Here's the trailer:

Just found this guy on the youtubes.
Ah, I see you've found Video Game Metal Youtube.
Some recommendations:
FamilyJules (the guy in this video)
GaMetal
RichaadEB
ToxicXEternity

I'd also recommend Tsuko G. - he covers anime music too, and his video game kazoo covers are great. He's also just started a solo career.

One of this months free for GOLD games on Xbox ONE is Shantae and the Pirates Curse, PICK IT UP. I already talked about the other Shantae game, 1/2 Genie hero which I also picked up for free. I've made my way through the DLCs as they get discounted. I'll say it right now, NONE of the DLCs are worth the full price. For those in first world countries they aren't much, under 5 dollars. But 105 pesos is a decent chunk of money. All but one got dropped to 30 pesos (a dollar fifty or so). Except for the one in which you play as the villian, Risky Boots, the others are no more than a costume change with different play mechanics and level redesign to fit said mechanics. Again, unless you end up loving the game like I did, I don't recommend them as they end up being very repetitive as they aren't new levels or worlds, but the same once over and over with different dialogue. I liked the challenge of adapting to the different play styles, but by the last one I started getting aggravated with the repetitive nature of it.

Pirate's Curse is WAY more fun. I played it on "hard" right off the bat and it was a decent challenge. It doesn't have difficulty settings, but it does have an achievement for not getting any health upgrades and that's what I did. I'm currently on my second playthrough on the now unlocked Pirate Mode. In short, in the previous game Shantae loses her genie powers, so she teams up with her nemesis to fight a common enemy and uses her weapons. In the normal mode you have to find each piece of pirate gear and use it to complete the current area as well as being able to back track on other levels.

While The Shantae series constatntly gets called a Metroidvania for the constant backtracking, I see a stronger Zelda influence, especially in this entry. While 1/2 Hero is better looking, has a great title/intro/outro track, gameplay and level design wise, Pirate's Curse is much better. Pirate Mode is a blast, because you start out with all the items and eliminates the need to backtrack. I've also had fun purposefully seeking certain achievements and leaves room for more like the beating the bosses without getting hit, that.... takes practice. Currently not focused on the speedrunning ones from either game, but they'll be there for when I feel up to it. I'm also waiting for the latest in the series, Shantae and the Seven Sirens to drop in price lol. For a series that started on the Gameboy Color it's built quite a following and delivers solid adventures.

I was also happy to see that another game on my wish list got slashed in price to something I was comfortable paying. The game is SLAIN: Back from Hell, a heavy metal inspired gory adventure. Here's the trailer:

Looks amazingly cheesy hahahaha. So my strategy of waiting for monthly free releases and price drops has paid off. Aside from these two I need to get back to KoTOR and Fallout 3 neutral run.

I've been playing Cave Story - one of the greatest freeware games ever released. It's a semi-difficult Metroidvania, leaning more towards the Metroid side of things.

I've been playing Cave Story - one of the greatest freeware games ever released. It's a semi-difficult Metroidvania, leaning more towards the Metroid side of things.
I heard of it, if it's still free I'll pick it up. I picked up the first episode of Life is Strange for free and liked it enough I might drop money for each episode.

I heard of it, if it's still free I'll pick it up. I picked up the first episode of Life is Strange for free and liked it enough I might drop money for each episode.
The (original) PC version is always free; the console ports cost money.
https://www.cavestory.org/ is the game's website; it has downloads, walkthroughs and info.
The game is less than 5 MB in size. No, that's not a typo.

Loved the game until the ending. Terribly disappointing.

Most of the reviews of seen compare it to Contra in gameplay and difficulty.
The main Contra stage design is only for the 6 or so run-and-gun stages, which (I think) are optional. The bosses play very much like Contra ones, and the difficulty level is an apt comparison. It's still a very fun game with fantastic graphics and music.

The main Contra stage design is only for the 6 or so run-and-gun stages, which (I think) are optional. The bosses play very much like Contra ones, and the difficulty level is an apt comparison. It's still a very fun game with fantastic graphics and music.

LOVE the graphics, one of the reasons I went for Seasons After Fall, the artwork is amazing even if the game was pretty meh.

Speaking of which, played through Slain Back From Hell. It's fun enough. Again, glad it went on sale, don't recommend it at full price. Also, the main draw for me was the whole, "heavy metal inspired," aaaand, it falls flat. The soundtrack is fairly generic and repetitive. The 8-bit-ish graphics are retro cool and the gameplay is rough at first, but once you get the hang of it (VERY patterned based), it gets easier. The first time I died I got an achievement called, "Get Used To It." Reminded me of the main selling point for the Demon/Dark Souls/Bloodbourne saga. And yes... You will die, A LOT. It's all about timing, for parrying, critical hits, and enemy behavior. I've got my eye on two more achievements that are fairly easy to get (not using a special weapon in a level/finding alternate exit), but not bothering with the beating each boss without losing any health.

This current binge I'm on of focusing on free/discounted games reminds me of when I used to go to the dollar theater. Sure the movie might have been bad, but I paid ONE dollar to see it in theaters... not bad. Same with these games, got them as part of my membership or for about $1.50? Eh, not bad.

Some games may never go down that cheap, but still worth waiting to see how low they go during the holidays lol.

Due to my current economy I decided to play through my back catalogue of games rather than purchase new ones, even if they are at ridiculously discounted prices. The first one I powered through was The Turing Test. Have no idea how I got this game. My guess is the ex downloaded it way back in the day.

At any rate, on the surface it's nothing more than a Portal clone. You get woken up by the ship's A.I, T.O.M. You are on an international space station orbiting Jupitor's moon, Europa. TOM explains he has lost communication with the grownd crew and hasn't had an update in 500 hours. After consulting with Earth it was decided to wake you up to go check it out. When you make it down there TOM mentions that the rooms have been altered. He says, "They're Turing Tests." Even if you haven't played Portal, that tells you right off the bat who the "bad guy" is.

Unlike Portal, your protagonist, Ava Turing (no mention if she's a descendant of Alan Turing), isn't a silent protagonist. You engage in limited conversations per room with TOM and they debate life, conciousness, morality, ethics, what is humanity, etc. You find documents discussing this as well.
also, while in Portal you play as the peep working your way through these puzzles and eventually face-off against GLADOS, here, you end up playing a type of co-op where you and TOM cooperate to make it through later stages of the space station and at the end, as TOM you decide wether to allow Ava to shut you down, or you kill her. The ending of the game doesn't change based on your decision. So that was cool.

Lastly, I never finished Portal, just couldn't break through one of the puzzles even after looking up the answer, couldn't get the timing down. I'll admit it, Portal made me feel dumb and unskilled. This game made me feel like a freaking genius lol. it has about 77 puzzles of which I looked up 7, of those seven 3 I looked up just to make sure I was doing the right thing and just wasn't getting the timing right. I was. 7 of the puzzles are optional. They are behind "restricted area" doors and just flesh out the story more. Of the 7 the first isn't solvable on your first go. TOM tells you, "We can't solve this one, yet." The Walkthrough I found to help with the puzzles I hit a wall even tells you, you find the solution later in-game. I kept my eyes peeled for the answer... NEVER saw it, so it was one of the 4 puzzles I just cheated at.

Overall a pleasant experience. You never get too frustrated, the talks between Ava and TOM are interesting if no more than pop philosophy. They talk about the Turing Test, the Chinese Room, The Trolly problem, etc.

Back