Now Playing (Video Games)

got all the collectibles etc
Wow. I haven't quite finished the game yet (still on Reflections), but I had to start skipping about 25% of the strawberries from the hotel onwards.
Except for the Mirror Temple - that level's filled to the brim with easy berries.

So the PS5 was officially announced and it was... underwhelming. The reveal itself was meh, I thought the PS itself looked cool and stylish, reminded me of the xbox 360 reveal. Yet no price was announced and no mention on the hyped backwards compatability. Xbox already said they were all in on it with the Xbox series X, what will Sony's response be? I like that there are two versions with the digital one most likely being a hundred dollars cheaper.

The memes are out comparing the Switch to a toaster, the Xbox to a minifridge and the PS5 to a router. I'm still going to wait a few years before deciding which one to get.

I agree with the overall sentiment here, not overly impressed with the style and a bit tired of yet another one to be honest. Feels like I just got a PS4, ok, that's a number of years ago now but still. Also sad that the new Assasins Creed game (Valhalla) is coming out for PS5, that would mean I need to buy the new thing! Argh! But I am psyched for this latest installment in the AC franchise. :D

I agree with the overall sentiment here, not overly impressed with the style and a bit tired of yet another one to be honest. Feels like I just got a PS4, ok, that's a number of years ago now but still. Also sad that the new Assasins Creed game (Valhalla) is coming out for PS5, that would mean I need to buy the new thing! Argh! But I am psyched for this latest installment in the AC franchise. :D
Yes! I'm really excited too. Didn't know it was a PS exclusive, that might change later.

You're playing Super Metroid?
Never my favourite series, but at least it has one of my favourite songs: Overgrown Brinstar

Favourite Nintendo game/franchise, I can't stand the music anymore, one of the best soundtracks up to that date but it's too atmospheric and it lacks musicality. I've replayed the game so much, and wasted many hours on many romhacks, the soundtrack became annoying.

This is by far my favourite Metroid song

FUCK MARIDIA SO FUCKING MUCH!!!

In case you didn't know this - you do not have to traverse Maridia without Gravity Suit.

Favourite Nintendo game/franchise, I can't stand the music anymore, one of the best soundtracks up to that date but it's too atmospheric and it lacks musicality. I've replayed the game so much, and wasted many hours on many romhacks, the soundtrack became annoying.
My favourite Metroid song isn't even in a Metroid game - it's the Norfair remix in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. 30 seconds of curious ambience, and then it gets funky.

This is by far my favourite Metroid song

In case you didn't know this - you do not have to traverse Maridia without Gravity Suit.
I got the gravity suit. It's having to swing back an forth between stuff with the grapple beam that's hard for me. Even the moon jump using Pro Action Replay doesn't work because the navigation on that is too slow. The part at 6:45 here is impossible:

In the room at 6:00 you can speed boost. Open up the right door first, then dash through that room into the Mocktroid room, here you charge and you need to get up to top fast, open door and shinespark to the right. Then you'll get through that problematic room in 3 seconds. However in order to get up fast you'll need to single wall jump pretty consistently

Also you can single wall jump that last problematic barrier in the area you linked. If you hit that platform ceiling when spin jumping left, deactivate high jump boots, this leans the jump curve.

Btw, here's the grapple nervewracker from SZM

I suck at wall jumping. They should have made it so you get a wall jump upgrade and then have it be like Ninja Gaiden or Batman for NES. Knowing what's left isn't a whole lot, I'm satisfied with how far I got.

Don't tell me you watched that final battle in YT video without experiencing it first. Besides after Draygon you go to Ridley's lair and then to Tourian so I wouldn't consider 30% of the game not being a whole lot.

Wall jump can't work like in Ninja Gaiden, SM's physics system is more elaborate. It allows you to gain altitude even if the walls are inclined.

Tourian isn't that big from what I saw. And I can't complete Maridia anyway because I can't do any of the required moves so it doesn't matter.

There is no point in playing Super Metroid if you don't enter Lower Norfair.
Man, the grapple thing isn't complicated. What's the exact problem, you can't swing to the right and grab that final block or?

Draygon can be quick killed easily. So the only thing between you and Ridley are a couple of grapple blocks, don't give up.

Btw. I acknowledge the grapple beam being the worse tool in the game, by far. Maybe play Zero Mission or AM2R if you haven't already, cause they don't feature it.

I'm not too worried about it. I watched some step by step guides on how to do the required moved and I still can't get any of it down. After my run with BOTW, I'll have to check out ZM. I haven't played any randomizers, hacks or homebrews ever and that's definitely something I need to get into some day.

Well hacks and randomized tend to be more difficult than vanilla SM.

Did anyone try A link to the past <-> super metroid randomizer? It spreads items for both games throughout both games. You can set that you want sword and morph ball in the original location for easier start.

I was doing pretty well with my reading when the nephew came over to spend a couple of days with us. All he wanted to do was play Plants v. Zombies Garden Warefare 2 and Castle Crashers. We worked on getting collectibles, knocking out some missions and achievements for him. He talks of nothing else. We spent time at my mother-in-law's and he spends considerable time there consider both his parents work a lot. First thing he asks, "Did you bring the xbox so we can play Plants versus Zombies!?" "No." "Oh. So can I come over so we can play?" Aaaaand he was allowed lol. Little man is watching youtube videos on how to get the collectibles and strategies. From the moment he wakes up, between and during meals and before he goes to bed all he talks about is how to get the game's collectibles. I created a monster lol.

Anyway, he's gone back home so I can get back to my reading.

Well, the game controller I originally ordered was the wrong one so I returned that. Then the one I did order never shipped out. Finally, the third one actually shipped today so next week for sure!

I've played BOTW for 2 nights now and let me say it is quite the interesting experience in a very amazing way! I got to Kakariko village, but took a completely different way by accident because I floated down to this one lower part on the way there and never warped back to the shrine that was closer to the main path. It was cool though because I discovered another shrine in that area. The game definitely has a bit of an overwhelming feeling to it, unlike anything I've ever experienced! Time to go hunting for more shrines now!

Back