Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
No screens! They will always use backdrops, because of the lighting. Does nobody watch documentaries? That was said years ago, I think in the Flight 666 documentary.

Losfer Words is on the LOTB soundtrack and that's highly unlikely and after having trouble with Aces High on the Maiden England tour, I don't see Bruce wanting to sing that one again. They haven't done Where Eagles Dare since The Early Days so that one might come back again. The Man Who Would Be King is also quite unlikely.

Where Eagles Dare is probably not ever coming back because it's too hard on Nicko these days, not to mention the vocal melody is pretty high too. I think the only likely opener is The Wicker Man, but even still I'm not sure on that. They might do a surprise thing like on Give Me Ed and use something unlikely as the opener, just so they get out of having to use any of the usual suspects like Aces High.

I imagine the tour set will be a pretty standard classics + a few "modern" classics like DoD, The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers and maybe DoG and Coming Home or something fare. Couple that with Phantom of the Opera, Revelations and maybe a couple of other 80s hits (maybe The Prisoner? it went down well, is easy to perform and isn't very lengthy) along with the usual staples (2MTM, TETMD mostly, I somehow doubt we'll see RTTH) plus one new song and you got yourself a crowd pleasing set for the summer.

Caught Somewhere In Time for the win.
I think I'd give up my left nut to make this happen, but even if Nicko was up for it (I know he'd goddamn well at least try), there's no power on Earth mighty enough to make Bruce even entertain the idea of singing CSiT again.

Where Eagles Dare is probably not ever coming back because it's too hard on Nicko these days, not to mention the vocal melody is pretty high too. I think the only likely opener is The Wicker Man, but even still I'm not sure on that. They might do a surprise thing like on Give Me Ed and use something unlikely as the opener, just so they get out of having to use any of the usual suspects like Aces High.

I imagine the tour set will be a pretty standard classics + a few "modern" classics like DoD, The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers and maybe DoG and Coming Home or something fare. Couple that with Phantom of the Opera, Revelations and maybe a couple of other 80s hits (maybe The Prisoner? it went down well, is easy to perform and isn't very lengthy) along with the usual staples (2MTM, TETMD mostly, I somehow doubt we'll see RTTH) plus one new song and you got yourself a crowd pleasing set for the summer.

About Where Eagles Dare: Nicko plays it regularly at RNR Ribs. I Think it's more problem for Bruce with high pitched very fast lyrics.

Let's try to update the GMETID set:

The Number Of The Beast
The Trooper
Coming Home
Revelations
Phantom Of The Opera
22 Accacia Avenue
*New Song*
Death Or Glory
Brave New World
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
The Clairvoyant
Heaven Can Wait (SIASL)
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
-----------------------------------------
Paschendale
2 Minutes To Midnight
Run To The Hills

This is the altered GMETID set with some songs subbed for songs that haven't existed yet, 1 from each album. The subs are:
DWYBO -> Coming Home
HBTN -> POTO (considering that the Beckett case isn't solved yet)
Wildest Dreams -> *New Song*
Wicker Man -> DOG
The Clansman -> BTATS
BYD ...TTS -> Paschendale

The running order of tracks remains the same, but it's unlikely that they will finish the show with RTTH again. But that would be a sweet set, especially if I did the last modification: HCW for SIASL.

I'm more interested to know if anyone has any wild card closers on their mind, something I suggested with POTO on the previous page and something they did on TBOS tour with Wasted Years.

About Where Eagles Dare: Nicko plays it regularly at RNR Ribs.
I'll admit, despite thinking of him as one of the best drummers to ever grace this Earth, I still consistently underestimate him. I was mostly going by recent performances, where he's slowed down a notch to make things more manageable, but I suppose WED would still be doable even today.

Re: your set, I dunno how realistic it is, even if it would be cool. 22AA was played in 2003, but that's it. They never resurrected it despite having plenty chance to do so, and I feel like they weren't happy with it back then. I imagine if anything rare from TNOTB is getting played, it'll be The Prisoner, since it's a pretty safe choice at this point.

Beyond that, both Paschendale and BTATS got dropped midway through in 2010, which is a strong clue they're not getting played again. Both have wonky time signatures and if they kept fucking up back in 2010, I doubt they'd fare much better today. Also there's low chance of Clairvoyant being the SSOASS pick over TETMD, considering the latter is a staple and just skipped two years in a row.

Also, you're missing the quintessential Wrathchild. There is no way it's not making its way back in since while it was pretty bad in 2014, it was decent filler in 2017 and it's not too hard to sing. It's an obvious choice, as boring as it is.

It's also different to pound out one song at your restaurant while farting around compared to playing 2 hours every two-three nights for months on end.

Even if the tour is indeed LotB branded, I doubt the band cares about what songs would represent the game properly. I can't help thinking that it's kind of below them to base a tour around a mobile game. Personally, I'd rather see a fresh concept in general. Well... Ironically, this comes from someone who considers the Ed Hunter show one of the best ever. ;)

I really wish they debuted a few songs (I mean older songs never played before). It's (technically) an easy way to make this tour something special as opposed to totally random greatest hits package.

Maybe they will let the fans decide the setlist again. They did the last time they had a game-inspired tour.

Yeah, but the times are different now. Last time they braved songs they had last played in 1985 just to honor the terms of the agreement and I just don't see Maiden of today pulling out something like SIASL just because the fans wanted it. If they do it, it'll solely be because they want to.

Yeah, but the times are different now. Last time they braved songs they had last played in 1985 just to honor the terms of the agreement and I just don't see Maiden of today pulling out something like SIASL just because the fans wanted it. If they do it, it'll solely be because they want to.

Nicko stated he wants to play SIASL and 22AA again. So I hope that Bruce and Steve listen to him. The biggest difference from past tour's setlist is that Steve leaves the primary setlist choices to Bruce since his treatment (he said that in an interview) and I think it would be interesting to see what Bruce imagines as a greatest hits setlist, since he hasn't created one yet (it was always Steve until 2016). With his input we already saw the inclusion of COTD, Powerslave and Wasted Years as a closer. So with a lot more space in the set it will be really interesting.

About Bruce's view on songs, based on interviews and his book:

-His favourite DiAnno sung songs are: Murders In The Rue Morgue, Prodigal Son and Killers.
-He thinks that Hallowed, Trooper and TNOTB are essential Maiden tracks.
-His other favourite songs to perform from the 80's include COTD, Revelations and Powerslave
-He thinks that Still Life is one of the best tracks on Piece Of Mind (along with Trooper and Revelations)
-He rates SSOASS the album as one of Maiden's best
-He dislikes Dance Of Death apart from Paschendale
-He doesn't like NPFTD very much (and FOTD to some extend)
-The only 3 tracks from AMLOAD and TFF he talks about in the book are BTATS, El Dorado and Coming home, but he doesn't say that they are below average albums (as he says about DOD)
-He says that TBOS is a very important album

+Steve also said that Blaze tracks probably won't be performed again.

That should give us more guidelines about the set than LOTB soundtrack.

+Steve also said that Blaze tracks probably won't be performed again.
Would you ever consider taking some tracks that Maiden would never do, such as ‘Burning Ambition’ for example, and dropping them into the British Lion set?
No, I mean, I think it would be all too easy to do that, and maybe even songs from the Blaze years which may never see the light of day with Maiden again.
People ask me that question, and yeah, on one hand, but I think, if I did that, I’d have to do a third project. I wouldn’t want to do it with this, because this is a totally different thing, and it’s more rock and roll than metal anyway, and I think those songs, if I did it, maybe I’d get Blaze or someone to do it with; I don’t know, it’s not something I particularly have the time to do, or have the inclination right now anyway!
http://www.eonmusic.co.uk/steve-harris-eonmusic-interview-august-2017.html
Remember, he was asked doing about performing "tracks that Maiden would never do". Does that include all of the songs from those years now, since it has been 13 years that a Blaze track was performed? I'm not 100 % sure. At least it is clear from the quote above that Steve still likes those songs.

Bruce's opinion on The X Factor album in 1996:
He thinks the X Factor is a decent album, but that Maiden should change musical styles to fit Blaze Bayley's vocal style, just as they did when Bruce replaced Paul Di'anno.
http://www.ram.org/music/articles/dickinterview.html

Last edited:
Maybe they will let the fans decide the setlist again. They did the last time they had a game-inspired tour.
And then we'll have a five hour set with:

Phantom of the Opera
Hallowed be thy Name
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Alexander the Great
Sign of the Cross
The Clansman
Paschendale
Dance of Death
Empire of the Clouds
Yeah, that's true too. Either way Where Eagles Dare has most likely been laid to rest for good.
Sad!

there's no power on Earth mighty enough to make Bruce even entertain the idea of singing CSiT again.
As far as the vocals are concerned, this song must be boring as hell for a singer indeed (although musically, it is another story)... but I guess the cyborg jacket was too much of a trauma to allow him to consider the song "objectively" ;)

Last edited:
8e304b2e-s.png

That's the setlist of the game :rolleyes: and from it I really want they to play one of my top 5 songs by Maiden -> Out of the Silent Planet :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think it would be interesting to see what Bruce imagines as a greatest hits setlist, since he hasn't created one yet (it was always Steve until 2016). With his input we already saw the inclusion of COTD, Powerslave and Wasted Years as a closer

Bruce has been deciding the setlists together with Steve for a very long time and was the main culprit for the 2008 setlist (Steve just made some suggestions to Bruce's list... I bet Fear of the Dark was one of them). He was also instrumental in bringing some older songs to the setlist after his 2002 solo tour.

By the way, from his book it becomes evident that he really likes AMOLAD, even though he might not namecheck songs apart from BTATS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back