The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

Just rewatched Thor the Dark World to prepare for Thor Ragnarok. Better than I remembered and easier to follow this time.

Thor: Ragnarok
was awesome. Marvel really can't make a bad movie. Hela was kinda average, but as a character makes sense: she's the goddess of death and just wants to kill... can't really have a more elaborate backstory. Plus she influenced the MCU a lot (Odin died, Asgard destroyed, Thor lost an eye) and she might not have even died (I'm reading that she disappeared before Surtur got to her). The movie was visually stunning. That final battle was one of the craziest battles in Marvel yet, along with the Doctor Strange one. I can't think of many things that can be criticized... maybe that Volstagg and Fandral were killed off way too fast (would've been better if they all stood against Hela instead of just Hogun. Can't complain about Sif since the actress was filming a TV show, but at least it means she's still alive out there somewhere. Skurge was awesome, although the way he was killed and fell down was tiny a bit cringy, plus I wish he said something before he died. Hulk spoke at last. Thor was at his most badass so far. Loki redeemed himself at the end. Valkyrie was also a badass. Might actually be the fastest paced MCU movie yet... it was frenetic... the only slower moments were when Thor and Hulk were locked in that room for a bit.

Just finished The Punisher. I think this is my 2nd favorite season of the MCU Netflix shows, after Daredevil S1. Totally delivered on everything I expected from it in terms of acting and brutality, except
that there was a long stretch in the middle without any shootouts, but the storyline made up for it. I mean, episode 8 was mostly just Frank/Micro in their hideout and it was one of the best episodes of the season.

Brutality though... I mean, some dumbass reviewers quit after first few episodes because the show "glorified violence" and stuff, but the show handled it pretty great with the debate between Karen and the senator, and the most gruesome moments (Rawlins getting Oberyn'd and Russo getting Jigsaw'd) didn't even have guns. Not that I'm pro-guns or anything (and also not Murican so it doesn't concern me), but I feel like not wanting to watch this show because of gun violence is dumb. And criticizing it for it is also dumb.

From the clips I saw, I would guess it was the graphic detail and squishy sound effects that got to people. It's a bit weird going OTT on that in the context of Marvel shows which are usually expected to be airy and full of one-liners and quirky action sequences. What's the age rating on it? People tend to assume comic book = suitable for kids.

Netflix shows don't get rated because it's technically not TV. I would say it's rated R just without nudity or swearing, but no holding back on blood and gore.

And Marvel shows are way darker than the movies. DC has dark movies and comedic TV shows, while Marvel has comedic movies and dark TV shows.

Perfect timing! I just saw Thor: Ragnarok yesterday and loved it.

This movie looks so amazing already and yet: at what point do we reach character overload? There’s going to be like 25 main characters in Infinity War...

I would enjoy lots more. No reason they can't just drop new superhero teams on us, like MI13 or Alpha Flight.

Edit: MI 13 should include Captain Britain, Spitfire, Blade, Excalibur, Union Jack, and Black Knight. Alpha Flight should include Guardian, Vindicator, Aurora, Northstar, Shaman and Talisman.

If they really want to make it work, sign Daniel Craig to be Captain Britain.

This movie looks so amazing already and yet: at what point do we reach character overload? There’s going to be like 25 main characters in Infinity War...
Not all of them will get significant roles which is fine since most of them appeared in multiple movies before so they are developed and don't need backstories. Looking at the Wikipedia cast list, there's not a single actor/character that didn't appear in at least one previous movie.

Vampire Blade? Don't think I'd like all that lore within the MCU.

What I would like is a Moon Knight Netflix show.

Not all of them will get significant roles which is fine since most of them appeared in multiple movies before so they are developed and don't need backstories. Looking at the Wikipedia cast list, there's not a single actor/character that didn't appear in at least one previous movie.

That's honestly my fear, just an endless movie of, "Hey, remember me! Here's the cool thing I do! Bye!"

Disney and Fox are closing in on deal, could be announced next week: Sources

Marvel Studios are gonna rule the CBM market for years to come if this happens. Iron Man and Captain America dead or written out due to expiring actor contracts? No prob, we're getting Fantastic 4 and all of the X-Men back plus all of the cosmic villains that come with the Fantastic 4 rights :D Just reboot/recast everything except for Deadpool. Keep that one R-rated and since Deadpool breaks the 4th wall anyway, it can just slip from one universe into another without continuity issues.

I know I'm late for Thor:Ragnarok but it still deserves to be praised

This is one of the (if not the!) best movies that came out of Marvel franchise. I loved everything about it:
- the plot (finaly the Marvel movie didn't end with main protagonists find his inner strenght or a group of people comes together to fight the main villian. Really interesting twist on the end)
- the humour (can't remeber when was the last time I laughed loudly during the movie, especially in MCU)
- the soundtrack (any by soundtrack I don't mean Immigrant's song, I mean at the synthy bits when they were on Planet Hulk)
- the scenary (Planet Hulk looked great, but I really wished there were more flashbacks on the Valkyre. That slow-mo fight was amazing)
- the villain (Cate Blanchett appearance was really memorable, not just the acting, but the motivation behind her acts. I don't think she'll fade out with time as some other villains in MCU did)

Speaking of trailer for Infinity war, I can't say I'm impressed. And wasn't this supposed to be a two-part movie?

Back