Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crimson Idol, Jan 15, 2014.
US Viewers are down to less than a million for Legion. Surprised it was renewed.
Finished Iron Fist premiere:
It's quite solid! Apart from some hammy CGI (which tbh is the case for all Netflix MCU shows), it's very well done. Set up all the core characters and what they are about and enough mysteries to keep it interesting without making it complicated. Also one of the reviewers said that Danny is the least likeable Defender so far and I disagree. Matt Murdock and Jessica Jones are very moody, so he's definitely more likeable than them (not better, just more fun and relatable).
Finished the whole show!
Alright. It does have a lot of problems. Fighting choreography had to be better. It gets better in each ep but it should've been even better than in Daredevil for a character like Iron Fist. Also there are a few major plotholes: Danny leaving his phone at Bakuto's yet he somehow got it back in the next episode. Also Joy suddenly wanting Danny dead after arguing with Harold about Danny being framed. Some dialogue was a bit iffy too.
But there's a lot of good stuff too. I thought acting was quite solid throughout the whole show once you ignore some bad dialogue. Guy who plays Ward was awesome in particular. All the characters were very well developed and went through quite a lot of "he's good-he's bad-he's good-he's not that good/bad" etc. Also, unlike LC, 2nd part of the season was way stronger, and unlike JJ, it didn't struggle to stretch the story believably enough over 13 episodes.
Harold Meachum was a great villain and they did a good job of tricking us he was a good guy after all after his 2nd death. I kinda wish he had another outburst like he did when he killed poor Kyle.
Theory time: Bakuto spoke about answering to someone, so I presume that someone is Sigourney Weaver's villain character in The Defenders, if The Hand is the villain there. As for IF Season 2, Finn Jones needs to train martial arts more and the showrunner has to be changed, plus new fighting choreographers hired.
Overall Netflix MCU standings: DD S2 first 4 eps > DD S1 > JJ > DD rest of S2 > IF > LC.
New Spider-Man Homecoming trailer:
1. NO COSTUME!
2. Episodes 10 & 11 almost lost me. Too many twists. Too many characters changing their allegiances.
3. At the end of episode 13 when Danny and Harold are fighting on the rooftop, the first time Danny knocks Harold down, why did he run away back into the steam!? With his training he could have EASILY overpowered Harold at that point.
4. More than once throughout the series, Claire tells Danny she has met powered individuals before yet not once does Danny ask about them. You would think he would be slightly curious.
5. We never saw the Dragon in the cave or the moment Danny received his power. We did not see much of K'un-L'un at all.
6. Joy switching allegiance at the end of the series was stupid.
7. Did Danny ever punch Ward at least once for how mean Ward was to Danny as kids?
8. David Wenham (Harold) I liked but he was a bit too...campy? hokey?
1. Jessica Henwick (Collen) and Tom Pelphrey (Ward) were the highlight of the show for me (acting wise). I was already a fan of Jessica Stroup (Joy) from The Following TV series. I think I would like Finn (Danny) better if he wasn't so confused all the time.
2. Episode 6 where Danny faces Gao's challenge of three different fighters I enjoyed. Although Danny is an idiot for doubting his decision at the end. Of course he made the right call. That is what makes him a hero.
3. I did like the positive outlook at the beginning of the series, but it did not last.
Overall I guess I enjoyed it, but it is my least favorite of the Marvel Netflix series so far.
Defenders release date & new teaser:
Killer teaser trailer for Thor Ragnarok
3 new X-Men related films confirmed for next year. Overkill?
Defenders trailer is finally here (needs DD in the suit though)
It took me 2 months to slog through Iron Fist. One of the worst shows I've ever seen, and I watched three seasons of Arrow.
Seen GOTG2 the other day and had a review in drafts because I didn't have time to finish it and now it's gone. So shorter notes:
It's not as good as the first one which is why it's getting a lot of bad reviews. Which really isn't fair. First movie is one of the best sci-fi/fantasy movies ever and it was always going to be hard to top it. Plus it attracted a lot of non-superhero fans who were attracted by the novelty factor which obviously is gone since it's a sequel.
It's an awesome movie though. I would say it's in the top half of MCU so far.
First of all, visually it's the most stunning MCU movie so far. If you thought Doctor Strange was psychedelic and crazy, you ain't seen shit. GOTG2 is way, way crazier.
All the characters that returned from the first movie are developed even more and all the new ones are very cool. Ego is one of the best MCU villains so far, Kurt Russell really killed it. Mantis is a very cool addition to the team, it'll be very interesting when she gets to use her powers in Infinity War. Sad that Yondu died but his funeral is definitely one of the best MCU moments so far. Musically and visually perfect. Only fault I can think of is that while he was developed as a character in the movie, Drax didn't get to do much fighting.
I thought it was better than the first one. Better story, more character development, finally an awesome villain. I'm actually really surprised at the reception. It was missing all the typical Marvel movie flaws.
I also thought it had more heart than maybe any Marvel movie so far.
Black Panther teaser trailer:
Just rewatched Transformers 3 (2007 Dark of the Moon) and noticed how much the end of the Avengers (2012 NYC battle with the aliens) stole from this Transformers film finale. 1. The floating large alien ship which looks EXACTLY like the floating Chitari ship which the aliens lept out of. 2. A laser shooting from a tall building into the air opening a portal to another world. 3. Massive destruction and loss of life. etc...
Dark of the Moon came out in 2011, while Avengers was already deep into shooting.
Inhumans trailer. Even though it will be on TV as a series, 1st 2 episodes will debut in IMAX theaters
So, is this not going to tie in with Agents of SHIELD? Cause that's dumb.
Also, I'm gonna have a hard time ever seeing that guy as anyone other than Ramsay Bolton.
I agree that eventually the 2 shows must crossover considering how focal the Inhumans have been on AOS the past few seasons. Probably gonna give the Inhumans tv show a chance on their own first before crossing over.
Just hope we see Black Bolt in the suit eventually
Separate names with a comma.