Bruce Dickinson

It is an album that could have been great with just 8 songs, but way back then Bruce and Steve were too worried about being seen as a current band. Are AC/DC massive after Thunderstruck? Let’s write From Here to Eternity to jump on the bandwagon! Are metal ballads a way to reach massive audiences? Let’s pen Wasting Love and see if we can get a massive boost in sales!

So honestly idk what went into making Fear of the Dark. Given how musical tastes were changing in the 90s, think they’d have to make songs that sound a lot more commercial and light to the audience. Hence you had songs like Fear of the Dark (worst title track in my opinion), From here to Eternity, Wasting Love. Plus the album got them to number 1 on the UK charts.

Assuming the above is correct, I am however glad they follow this in the reunion era. Reunion maiden is how maiden is supposed to be (my favorite era) & have aged like fine wine.

Seeing Maidens & recently Bruce’s album position, it’s still good to see that people even today listen to metal & specifically Maiden. I’d love to hear what you guys have to say as to why Maiden even today is so well received as compared to other bands. I my opinion, it would be:
1.) Melody: Let’s face it, no other band comes even an inch close to Maiden when it comes to making their music melodic.

2.) Catchiness: their music always has a catchy tune that sticks to your head.

3.) Music discipline: Thanks to Arry, even though their production isn’t great, I think cause of Arry the band are still where they are today & Arry has been very, very particular and disciplined when it comes to writing music. No drugs, alcoholism and all that crap which other members of other bands deal with.

Last edited:
1. The melodies and harmonies definetly. A fan recongnise one of their tunes within a second. Very easy to whistle or hum along to.
2. Having Eddie as a "member". He is very important.
3. You know what you get from them. They always deliver quality music with no BS experiements like Lulu, Nostradamus, Super collider, Tin machine, Jazz.
4. high class musicians, who are very down to earth. No drugs and rock star attitudes, they have done this job for years. If you look closer within their staff, this also goes for Rod and the crew. All normal, hard working and easy going human beings.

So honestly idk what went into making Fear of the Dark. Given how musical tastes were changing in the 90s, think they’d have to make songs that sound a lot more commercial and light to the audience. Hence you had songs like Fear of the Dark (worst title track in my opinion), From here to Eternity, Wasting Love. Plus the album got them to number 1 on the UK charts.

Assuming the above is correct, I am however glad they follow this in the reunion era. Reunion maiden is how maiden is supposed to be (my favorite era) & have aged like fine wine.
I agree. An opinion I've had for many years is that Fear of the Dark was Maiden's attempt to find commercial/chart success in America. I've felt the production was done with airplay success in mind. Chains of Misery seemed like it could have been played on radio stations. There were several what I would call radio friendly songs on it. Of course you had the power ballad. Bruce going on MTV saying it was the best album they've ever done (of course they are always supposed to say that)

That didn't happen and the band probably thought screw it and just do what they want to do going forward.

Fear Of The Dark (the song) fundamentally changed how Steve approaches his songwriting for epics and became the blueprint for the reunion era. Since then we've gotten mostly single guitar melodies, or ones in octaves instead of harmonized twin lead guitars in thirds or sixths. There has also been a more conscious effort to have singable guitar lines for more audience participation.

I don't like much of Fear of the Dark.
The title track is great though. Be quick or be dead is unique and interesting. Afraid to shoot strangers is pretty decent, but I don't think it has staying power (i.e. it was really enjoyable when first released, but I'm quite bored of it now). Most of the other songs are forgettable.
Wasting Love is OK, From here to eternity isn't good
Apparation isn't good
Fugitive isn't good
Fear is the key isn't good
Chains of misery isn't good

Overall, I'd be happy just having the "Fear of the Dark" song and throwing away all the rest.
Not enough good songs for an EP. Just release the single, album cover art is fantastic would have been great art for a single.
Uh oh, is this you being an overly critical fan? :p

Just kidding, it's subjective after all. It's a shame that Judas was never played live. I could see that one working perfectly well and becoming a staple, but alas, we'll never know.

I agree. An opinion I've had for many years is that Fear of the Dark was Maiden's attempt to find commercial/chart success in America. I've felt the production was done with airplay success in mind. Chains of Misery seemed like it could have been played on radio stations. There were several what I would call radio friendly songs on it. Of course you had the power ballad. Bruce going on MTV saying it was the best album they've ever done (of course they are always supposed to say that)

That didn't happen and the band probably thought screw it and just do what they want to do going forward.
Yep and that’s exactly what they’re doing now. They wanna do what they want regardless of commercial success. They have a sound, a certain melody that appeals to their fan base and that’s what they’re doing. Sometimes, you just gotta do what you’re the best at (musically) & commercial success would follow. And that is also why their reunion albums will never be forgotten albeit not as memorable for many fans as the 80s era.

The Apparition is the fucking worst Maiden Song ever.
*I Live My Way has entered the chat
It's not even a Song LOL
Agree with this. It's just a jam with almost no structure.
It is an album that could have been great with just 8 songs, but way back then Bruce and Steve were too worried about being seen as a current band. Are AC/DC massive after Thunderstruck? Let’s write From Here to Eternity to jump on the bandwagon! Are metal ballads a way to reach massive audiences? Let’s pen Wasting Love and see if we can get a massive boost in sales!
FOTD was a victim of the early 90s CD boom when record labels thought that squeezing more tracks onto the additional space the discs had over vinyl would result in more sales.

Hence why for a good decade or so we had albums in nearly every genre that were far too long and chock full of filler.

There's at least 3 songs on FOTD that should have been b-sided.

So honestly idk what went into making Fear of the Dark. Given how musical tastes were changing in the 90s, think they’d have to make songs that sound a lot more commercial and light to the audience.
Indeed. But we also need to add that by 1992, vinyls were clearly on the wane and that 74'-CDs had become the standard (they became 80' long a couple of years later), which prompted labels to demand from bands that they fill these 74 minutes to the brim. Hence more songs to write and less time to spend on each of them. Songs like "The Fugitive" would have certainly been better if trimmed a little bit, not to mention what's on The X Factor.

Last edited:
Not in my world. I perceive it as some poorly baked GNR wannabe song. And I like November Rain.

Agree about 8 songs.
From Here To Eternity may be a AC/DC wannabe tune but nonetheless it's a great rocking song in my book. Unlike Wasting Love and other filler songs.

Are metal ballads a way to reach massive audiences? Let’s pen Wasting Love and see if we can get a massive boost in sales!

What are you guys smoking? Yes, it's a powerballad. But poorly baked? The lyrics are a few steps above Axl. And if "Wasted Years" is about longing for home while being on tour, this one is about having a lot of meaningless sex. I'd say that's a pretty fresh take on the power ballad.

For the record, I'm loving The Mandrake Project and "Many Doors To Hell" is probably my #1 song this year.

What are you guys smoking? Yes, it's a powerballad. But poorly baked? The lyrics are a few steps above Axl. And if "Wasted Years" is about longing for home while being on tour, this one is about having a lot of meaningless sex. I'd say that's a pretty fresh take on the power ballad.
I don't like how it sounds. Very unMaiden. It's how I perceive this song and none can be done about it. I always thought that Maiden are very poor at power ballads. (Metallica's Nothing Else Matters, on the other hand, is a Masterpiece)

Indeed. But we also need to add that by 1992, vinyls were clearly on the wane and that 74'-CDs had become the standard (they became 80' long a couple of years later), which prompted labels to demand from bands that they fill these 74 minutes to the brim. Hence more songs to write and less time to spend on each of them. Songs like "The Fugitive" would have certainly been better if trimmed a little bit, not to mention what's on The X Factor.
So I’d say X factor had some meaningful, long songs (barring a few) unlike Fear of the Dark and the album wasn’t a drag. I’m not saying FOTD was a drag but quality of tracks was crappier than that on X.

Seeing Maidens & recently Bruce’s album position, it’s still good to see that people even today listen to metal & specifically Maiden. I’d love to hear what you guys have to say as to why Maiden even today is so well received as compared to other bands. I my opinion, it would be:
1.) Melody: Let’s face it, no other band comes even an inch close to Maiden when it comes to making their music melodic.

2.) Catchiness: their music always has a catchy tune that sticks to your head.

3.) Music discipline: Thanks to Arry, even though their production isn’t great, I think cause of Arry the band are still where they are today & Arry has been very, very particular and disciplined when it comes to writing music. No drugs, alcoholism and all that crap which other members of other bands deal with.
Sorry what? Do you mean generally or just in metal.

If metal then two bands immediately come to mind, Nightwish and Sabaton. Plenty of others out there as well but i'd be here along time naming them all :D

Back