Metallica

I've only heard the first 4 tracks so far, but my one complaint based on them would by summed up by this quote from that review "not a huge number of dynamic shifts."

It's definitely really samey and always full-on. The album desperately needs a ballad to break it up a bit, even flippin' St. Anger isn't nearly as lacking in dynamics which is saying something since that album is aggressive in all the wrong ways.

I think they attempted this by putting Lux Aeterna in the middle of the album rather than in the obvious opening spot but it just doesn't work there and it too is full distortion all the time, just a bit faster than the midtempo tracks around it. It's like HTSD disc two all over again.

I think they attempted this by putting Lux Aeterna in the middle of the album rather than in the obvious opening spot but it just doesn't work there and it too is full distortion all the time, just a bit faster than the midtempo tracks around it. It's like HTSD disc two all over again.
Yeah, I think it would’ve made more sense as the second track. (I do like the way the title track opens the album.)

Yeah, I think it would’ve made more sense as the second track. (I do like the way the title track opens the album.)
Meh. Lux Aeterna is pure opener material, 72 Seasons just kind of starts with some jingle bell hi-hats and bass. It would've been just fine in the traditional Metallica title track spot, but I'm guessing management or someone said title tracks should open the album and be singles since that's how it's been for two albums now.

I've only heard the first 4 tracks so far, but my one complaint based on them would by summed up by this quote from that review "not a huge number of dynamic shifts."

Finished listening to it, so impressions on first listen:

Not as good as Hardwired, it's probably in the ball park of it but Hardwired has more stand out tracks

As above, dynamics is the main thing. About 8 of the tracks start of with a buildy up intro before kicking into a groove and then a big long section where the verse-pre-chours and chorus all run together. If they'd just kicked into the groove straight away on about half the tracks it would have given the illusion of a more dynamic album, and Lars does not have the finesse for these build up sections, just beating along to James does not offer any sort of gradual heightening of tension

Lux Aeterna, Too Far Gone and Inamorata are the only tracks that break the mould a bit.

Lars drumming is much less annoying than on recent albums, but he really needs to shut the fuck up in that Planet Caravan/Victim of Changes breakdown section of Inamorata.

What a very strange replacement. I mean, that's great and huge for Floor, but seems like a very strange pairing considering she's touring on a straight-up pop album.

What a very strange replacement. I mean, that's great and huge for Floor, but seems like a very strange pairing considering she's touring on a straight-up pop album.
She should do a complete set of Megadeth covers just to make a statement.

New tour kicked off in Amsterdam tonight...

1. Orion
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
3. Holier Than Thou
4. King Nothing
5. Lux Aeterna
6. Screaming Suicide
7. Fade to Black
8. Sleepwalk My Life Away
9. Nothing Else Matters
10. Sad But True
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Ride the Lightning
13. Battery
14. Fuel
15. Seek & Destroy
16. Master of Puppets

Thought they'd do 4 songs each night from the new album, so, that's a bit of a surprise it's only 3.

New tour kicked off in Amsterdam tonight...

1. Orion
2. For Whom the Bell Tolls
3. Holier Than Thou
4. King Nothing
5. Lux Aeterna
6. Screaming Suicide
7. Fade to Black
8. Sleepwalk My Life Away
9. Nothing Else Matters
10. Sad But True
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Ride the Lightning
13. Battery
14. Fuel
15. Seek & Destroy
16. Master of Puppets

Thought they'd do 4 songs each night from the new album, so, that's a bit of a surprise it's only 3.
It'll be interesting to see what they play on night 2. Hopefully these:

Blackened
Harvester Of Sorrow
The Four Horsemen
All Nightmare Long
Creeping Death
Whiplash
Phantom Lord
No Remorse
The Thing That Should Not Be
Metal Militia
Cyanide
The Judas Kiss
Spit Out The Bone
If Darkness Had A Son
72 Seasons
One

Apparently they soundchecked Until It Sleeps last night, that's one that hadn't been played in a while. From what I've seen of the stage, it's an interesting concept in doing an in-the-round show in a stadium, but I feel it's something I'm going to like better when I actually see it in person.

If they have to play something from Load, I would pick Until It Sleeps, as mentioned and some of these:

The House That Jack Built
Bleeding Me
Wasting My Hate

That's all. The only other song from Re-Load would be The Memory Remains

Last edited:
I really don't see what Newsted adds to it. Anyone can do cookie monster vocals. Get someone who can actually harmonize with James and plays the bass as well as Rob and you'd have something. Also Mustaine is overrated.

Back