The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts as well. I doubt they will market a "farewell tour." As a side note so glad I never fell for the shit that Kiss pulls. As far as I'm concerned their farewell was when I last saw them in 2000 with Peter and Ace.
I think if Maiden does it they'll be upfront from the get go and say it'd be the last major tour and there'll only be mini-runs of 8-10 shows a year afterwards or that they'll continue as a recording band.

Kiss on their latest tour started off saying "That's it, there's nothing coming after this. It's over." Now they're being wishy washy as to what's actually coming next.

Not only that, but he delated to buy tickets for opening show in Slovenia, I was waiting for him to decide and now it’s sold out. Nightprowlered, grrrr!
Speaking of which NP will attend the opening show, together with Matic I think.

You’ll go?
I bought the ticket, I had the feeling floor ticket will sell out quickly. I can't believe Zare hesitated for this tour.
We'll probably have some kind of MF meet-up in Ljubljana.

Regarding Maiden retirement, the first time I had this discussion was 15 years ago, and this is what I concluded: we won't see it coming until it comes. Then we'll all be surprised, but we'll still say: “We should've known, it was so obvious.”
That's Maiden.
Unpredictable in their predictability.

When do you guys think rehearsals will start? They usually start rehearsing like 1-2 months before the beginning of the tour, right?

I don't think they would market it as such, but I believe that when the time comes they'll not end it on an album tour. The final tour will be some kind of LOTB-esque hits tour. Basically a farewell tour in all but name.
I can see them doing something like Rush did with R40.

No way I can see them doing something like Motley Crue pulled off a few years back.

I don't think they would market it as such, but I believe that when the time comes they'll not end it on an album tour. The final tour will be some kind of LOTB-esque hits tour. Basically a farewell tour in all but name.
I think if Maiden does it they'll be upfront from the get go and say it'd be the last major tour and there'll only be mini-runs of 8-10 shows a year afterwards or that they'll continue as a recording band.
^ This is very likely.
I think at this point the following years will be...

2023 - Future Past Euro
2024 - Future Past N. America/Everywhere Else
2025-2027 - New Album packaged with a 'Farewell' tour
I'd say:

2023: TFP Euro
2024: TFP NA/SA
2025: TFP Euro/Asia/Australia
2026-2027: new album tour... or History/Hits tour (I doubt it), but 50th anniv (it's possible). A hybrid tour won't work unless they play some 90's era songs or rarely played songs.
2028 - it's anyone's guess. Probably a classics tour.

^ This is very likely.

I'd say:

2023: TFP Euro
2024: TFP NA/SA
2025: TFP Euro/Asia/Australia
2026-2027: new album tour... or History/Hits tour (I doubt it), but 50th anniv (it's possible). A hybrid tour won't work unless they play some 90's era songs or rarely played songs.
2028 - it's anyone's guess. Probably a classics tour.
I can’t see Nicko drumming in his mid 70s.

sold out Dublin or Belfast ever before.

Think they've all been as good as sold out since 2003 except the RDS. There may have been tickets available on the night ( I couldn't tell you if there were or not) but there was no obvious empty seats to be seen at any of the gigs I was at, so if they weren't totally sold out they were close to it. I saw the numbers from the Ormeau Park gig last year and it was something like 20 odd tickets not sold.

I tend to agree with this.

I don’t think for one minute they’ll embark on a farewell tour as such but they are likely to make an announcement that they are going to do one final major world tour but they’ll state that the band will not be calling it quits and they will continue on, just on a smaller scale. This leaves the door open for festival headlining and one off gigs.

If they do make this sort of announcement I very much doubt they’ll carry on making albums too. They’ve always been more of a live band and I feel that if they can’t go out a tour an album they won’t bother. We could get some tracks here and there as part of box sets that were ideas they had if they had done another full album.

For a final major world tour I’d love it if we got a set list with one song from every album, be tough to choose as some classics would get left out but this would be awesome. A big video and live album release too, maybe as part of a box set. Also be so cool if they could get as many old members of the band involved as possible, Paul and blaze, Dennis Stratton and even some of the guys from the old pre debut lineups. Fantasy thinking I know but would be awesome.

I am not sure that is ever going to happen unless they increase ticket prices even more or decide to go on stage with a very cheap production. Putting a new show together requires a significant financial investment that is only recovered after a good number of tickets have been sold over several weeks worth of shows.

I do not see them just releasing new albums without touring either. The money is in the latter, not in the former.

For a final major world tour I’d love it if we got a set list with one song from every album, be tough to choose as some classics would get left out but this would be awesome. A big video and live album release too, maybe as part of a box set.
Great idea, but it's unlikely.
Also be so cool if they could get as many old members of the band involved as possible, Paul and blaze, Dennis Stratton and even some of the guys from the old pre debut lineups. Fantasy thinking I know but would be awesome.
It would be cool, but I doubt it.
I am not sure that is ever going to happen unless they increase ticket prices even more or decide to go on stage with a very cheap production. Putting a new show together requires a significant financial investment that is only recovered after a good number of tickets have been sold over several weeks worth of shows.

I do not see them just releasing new albums without touring either. The money is in the latter, not in the former.
Good point, but if they only play say 2 (not full) months per year, I doubt they will use a big stage production, especially without a new album theme. The tradition will be broken. The money is in touring, but selling new albums is still something. They can release albums and still play a multiple shows per year... with a stage production like for the 2003 (Give Me Ed) and 2005 tours, I guess. Or just one backdrop and Marshalls.
If they do make this sort of announcement I very much doubt they’ll carry on making albums too. They’ve always been more of a live band and I feel that if they can’t go out a tour an album they won’t bother.
I thought so too, but Steve seems to have a different view, which is surprising.
We could get some tracks here and there as part of box sets that were ideas they had if they had done another full album.
This and - I want some leftover songs from the writing sessions of all of their albums.

Last edited:
So what do you think about this scenario - guys are rehearsing and trying to make Alexander work, but it is just not happening. So instead thay opt to play Rime of the Ancient Mariner like on the orginal tour. Would you be happy with that switch or still prefer to witness Alexander?

Or worst scenario - they switch Alexander for Wrathchild

So what do you think about this scenario - guys are rehearsing and trying to make Alexander work, but it is just not happening. So instead thay opt to play Rime of the Ancient Mariner like on the orginal tour. Would you be happy with that switch or still prefer to witness Alexander?

I’d prefer Alex for the sake of the tour, but I have never seen Mariner live, so I would be super happy. I think Mariner is a better song.

And that would be kind of a perfect callback to Somewhere on Tour hehe.

If I’m forced to see wrathchild again I’m gonna lose my mind..

In my eyes Rime is a masterpiece, so I definitely would be not mad. "Blimey, they left out Alexander, like on the original tour" :D
In other words, worst case scenario, Rime instead of Alexander is acceptable. But, let's say, Dream of Mirrors, Nomad, No More Lies, Legacy, When The Wild Wind Blows would anger me. And don't get me wrong, those songs are fine, but nowhere near Rime and Alexander. Imo.

Last edited:
For a final major world tour I’d love it if we got a set list with one song from every album, be tough to choose as some classics would get left out but this would be awesome.

Going a bit off-topic, but I'll do it anyway...

The "one song from every album" thing has often been presented as a fan-fantasy and a potential concept for another "hits/history tour" or the "final tour" and while it would be cool if the song selection was interesting, I'd actually go as far as to say that I'd personally prefer a different approach altogether.

Would the song from "Iron Maiden" be the title track? Probably. That already rules out Phantom of the Opera and Remember Tomorrow, then. Yes, many major hits would be left out and there would certainly be some very interesting cuts from a handful of albums, especially from the later ones, but... Would I really prefer getting Tailgunner or Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter over, say, Remember Tomorrow, Powerslave or e.g The Clairvoyant just for the sake of having one song as No Prayer for the Dying representation? I know a lot of people would also prefer those No Prayer cuts, but I think the "one song from each album" approach presents itself with some serious pacing issues when it comes to setlists. For example, if the sole Killers cut would be Wrathchild, I would probably just prefer another cut from some another album. As good and energetic live song as Wrathchild is indeed. The albums from the past two decades would probably get some of the longer songs represented. The setlist balance would probably be very good anyway, as the shorter tracks would probably dominate the 80's cuts, but overall, I'd much rather take more deeper cuts altogether, even if it comes with the expense of not getting representation for a couple of albums at all. I love many songs on The Final Frontier, but I could very well do without El Dorado or even When the Wild Wind Blows brought back if it provides a chance for, say, Rime of the Ancient Mariner and some very juicy deep cut in the vein of Still Life or something.

I know, this is very speculative, but I've always thought that the "one song from each album" doesn't sound like a pattern Maiden would strictly follow. :D It's a cool idea, I just kind of hope it doesn't quite come to that... ;)

I would be very happy with Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Sure, Alexander the Great is a good song and the crowd reaction would probably be out of this world, but for me, Stranger in a Strange Land is probably the "major" Somewhere in Time song I'm looking forward to seeing and for me, Alexander has never really been on the top of my set wishlist, really. So I'd be fine with something else being played instead if the setlist is otherwise very interesting. I mean, if I could choose between a generic (e.g TFF 2011) kind of a set with Alexander the Great or a setlist structure similar to LOTB 2018-19 & TBOS tours without Alexander, I'd probably go with the latter.

I'd like to underline that all of the above is about my personal preferences. I'm super happy if I'll get to see Alexander the Great played live and I'm very happy for all the people who've dreamed about it for years, even decades. I mean, for me, seeing Seventh Son of a Seventh Son live in 2013 and witnessing For the Greater Good of God, Sign of the Cross and Flight of Icarus on LOTB tour was a dream come true; for me, it was probably what Rime of the Ancient Mariner was for a lot of fans in 2008-09! So I can imagine Alexander being somewhat a similar, even greater, experience for a lot of fellow Maiden fans! :)

I would rather have Rime. Without a doubt, atleast over Alexander

My wish list from Somwhere in Time are the title track and Stranger

I'd rather see solid renditions of Rime from each night of the tour than trainwrecks of Alexander from each night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back