Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

The Time Machine has some very catchy melodies.

There's real cool vocal stuff as well, where he sings melodies that match the 3 different guitar parts, not sure if my music theory is right but it sounds like he start off a verse matching the main melody, then changes to the harmony and then finally into the octave.

The outro of the title track is one of my favorite endings of a Maiden song - best outro in the album for me.

I was probably a bit OTT saying "disappointing", as only in the context of a very good album, and it's the one track for me that hasn't improved since the first listen, but it's still a good song. I love the outro riff, it's just the last few bars of it when it seems like it's trailing off coming to the end that doesn't work great for me.

I really think certain people didn’t catch or undertstood the album at all. It’s certainly the most interesting album in years. Senjutsu(the song) is fucking heavy, dark, brooding. It got everything I love from the band. Stratego made me cry when I first hear it. And so on for the rest of the album. I’m a big Bruce solo fan and I feel it’s the closest to his solo album. I hear a lot of chemical wedding in Senjutsu. For me, the darker albums stood the test of time and I feel that Senjutsu is one of them. The album deserves a lot of spins to really understand everything. Parchment is another masterpiece. Incredible! Celts for me is a better clansman Heavier in places, tasty guitars/bass works and the chorus(Spirit, cry….) is out of this world. Funnily enough, I was never a big fan of Hell on earth. I still love it but I thought it was too happy(except the lyrics) at first‍

Celts for me is a better clansman Heavier in places, tasty guitars/bass works and the chorus(Spirit, cry….) is out of this world. F

I mostly agree with you about Senjutsu (being dark, very enjoyable and interesting records with some AOB/CW/TOS callbacks and whatnot), but for me, Death of the Celts might be the weakest track on the album and probably the only one I'd be... um, you know, if it came to that, ready to drop. I think it's very solid song. Intro is nice, melodies are nice, verses are nice, solos aren't bad either and there's a few cool moments here and there. It just feels like a Steve Harris song that a Steve Harris Bot would write. Everything comes the way it should in a this kind of a Maiden song. Just as it should and as you'd expect. It's very Maiden, altogether, but (for me, anyway!) not very exciting. I often feel that it doesn't really have a climax and while most, if not everything in it is very good, it just... goes on does whatever it does quite well, but just for the sake of... doing it.

I'm not very good at this, but it just doesn't click to me. Maybe it will, eventually! Who knows. :) Other than that, I think the album is very strong! Other tracks that I feel are on the weaker side have more "saving graces":

Lost in a Lost World might have some lackluster moments, but it's got a few ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT moments and melodies too. Not to even mention the beautiful outro.

The Time Machine, as @Kalata suggested, is bit of a "signature" Gers(/Harris) song, but that comes with... yes, trademark Gers intro, trademark Gers riffs, some trademark melodies... but hey, it's got a great vibe and recycled as the Maiden moment (The Edge of Darkness called and wanted it back :D) in the middle might feel, IT ROCKS. Some great vocal lines, too.

I'll just say this: I wasn't too far off on the colours!

mbCRwsT.jpg

“We all still enjoy making new music and will never take our longevity and success for granted," says Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson. "We’re immensely proud of Senjutsu and it’s great to hear Classic Rock voted it #1 Album of The Year."

“We all still enjoy making new music and will never take our longevity and success for granted," says Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson. "We’re immensely proud of Senjutsu and it’s great to hear Classic Rock voted it #1 Album of The Year."

What a surprise, #1 album in Classic Rock, which essentially reads like a press release written by Rod whenever Maiden do anything! :lol:

Well deserved #1 in my opinion.

I’d say Gojira’s latest album deserved it more, but at the end of the day it is a matter of taste. Senjutsu would not even be top 3 of 2021 for me.

That being said, Gojira are #1 album of 2021 for Metal Hammer, so perhaps Classic Rock are trying to please the older generation of Iron Maiden fans who still buy magazines.

I’d say Gojira’s latest album deserved it more, but at the end of the day it is a matter of taste. Senjutsu would not even be top 3 of 2021 for me.

That being said, Gojira are #1 album of 2021 for Metal Hammer, so perhaps Classic Rock are trying to please the older generation of Iron Maiden fans who still buy magazines.
Yep, a matter of taste. I don’t listen to Gojira so I wouldn’t know. But perhaps the writers at Classic Rock genuinely think it’s the best and aren’t trying to appease anyone. Don’t be a cynic..

Back