Senjutsu charts position

Well, since we are all getting back to this topic of Symphonic Metal.
I guess my original point wasn't to say that Nightwish were THE only band to invent symphonic metal. Like Maiden, they were at the forefront of a coming new, promising and exciting subgenre and they have carried it right through to this day as leaders in this subgenre.
In 1996 Nightwish had a demo
Therion put out an album
Emma Shapplin put out an album which sold over 2 million copies (not a metal band but this album was opera/rock)
Angra (Not a symphonic metal band)
in 1997 Nightwish put out their album
Within temptation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn49NpOgfnI

Last edited:
Nope... Therion's Theli was released in August and Nightwish's demo was released in October.

BTW if you want to throw Angra in the mix they released their debut (Angels Cry) in 1993. and when it comes to this record alone you have influences all over of classic composers such as Schubert, Mendelssohn and Pachelbel and even excerpts from Paganini and Vivaldi mingled in the songs Winter and the title track. Not to mention Wuthering Heights' cover... so yeah, blatant Symphonic Metal.

Plus there's X Japan's 1993 Art Of Life that was simply recorded with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. If that's not symphonic metal... Not to mention their next two albums are also Symphonic Metal and prior to Nightwish's debut.

Last edited:
@karliant, What‘s your favorite metal band from today? Today meaning post Maiden/Metallica I guess.
Too many to pick just one but I'll try to mention some.
  • Devin Townsend's perhaps the most solid artist from the mid 90's till today in my book (both with SYL and solo).
  • Paradise Lost had one hell of a run in the 90's (from Gothic to One Second) and still manage to release great quality albums from time to time in the 2000's (BTW this is the band I own more discs by far just so you see how much I like these guys... and I have the complete discography of Maiden and Priest).
  • If you want to call Tool metal hasn't got a single bad album (and managed to pull two masterpieces in Lateralus and Fear Inoculum).
  • Rosetta and Cult Of Luna on Post / Avantgarde whatever metal are also two bands from the 2000's that are simply unable to make a single record I don't like.
  • Cynic is another band that's near perfect IMO.
  • Early Mastodon is also brutal (then they became a bit boring)
  • Gojira is somewhat of a hit/miss act for me: some albums are masterpieces others are simply boring.
  • Ihsahn's solo career (former Emperor's frontman) is also filled with superb stuff.
  • Post Dante XXI Sepultura seemed to find their mojo after years of mediocrity.
Then there are superb bands that were formed a few years after Metallica I also love. Not to mention others that to unfortunately have disbanded like Sabbat or Bolt Thrower.

Too many to pick just one but I'll try to mention some.
  • Devin Townsend's perhaps the most solid artist from the mid 90's till today in my book (both with SYL and solo).
  • Paradise Lost had one hell of a run in the 90's (from Gothic to One Second) and still manage to release great quality albums from time to time in the 2000's (BTW this is the band I own more discs by far just so you see how much I like these guys... and I have the complete discography of Maiden and Priest).
  • If you want to call Tool metal hasn't got a single bad album (and managed to pull two masterpieces in Lateralus and Fear Inoculum).
  • Rosetta and Cult Of Luna on Post / Avantgarde whatever metal are also two bands from the 2000's that are simply unable to make a single record I don't like.
  • Cynic is another band that's near perfect IMO.
  • Early Mastodon is also brutal (then they became a bit boring)
  • Gojira is somewhat of a hit/miss act for me: some albums are masterpieces others are simply boring.
  • Ihsahn's solo career (former Emperor's frontman) is also filled with superb stuff.
  • Post Dante XXI Sepultura seemed to find their mojo after years of mediocrity.
Then there are superb bands that were formed a few years after Metallica I also love. Not to mention others that to unfortunately have disbanded like Sabbat or Bolt Thrower.
Cool, haven't heard of Rosetta and Ihsahn, but I like some Gojira and Cult Of Luna (not for too long though). Saw Cynic live once, as well as Mastodon.
And since you guys have been off topic anyway... What about Animals As Leaders, Between The Buried And Me, Polyphia, Sunn O))) and Earth? Important bands?

Ok this thread has gotten way off topic. Use this thread to talk about Senjutsu chart positions and use general music discussion to talk about other bands. I will be deleting off topic posts going forward.
Mosh, you are literally doing God’s work. All I wanted from this thread were the chart positions and all that info is now buried in a sea of Nightwish love/hate/origin story.

All the Maiden charts positions since their debut album. :)

Back