Iron Maiden - artworks with Eddie

Can we say that the cover of TWOTW is the 3rd one without Eddie on it? (after FHTE and Wasting Love) - we know from the video that the rider is Eddie, but his face is not shown.

Curious info:

The original cover art supposedly featured only Eddie and a few monks behind him but the band manager Rod Smallwood felt it looked empty.

I agree with Rod - the cover we got is better imo. Although Bruce called the cover ''embarrassing'' (in his book).

DOD cover.jpg

I wished the artist could finished it. He's a great artist and Eddie's figure here is awesome so the rest of the characters would be great too once finished them.
If Bruce says that in his book, that's really true but he had is mouth very closed at that time about it. I hate when Bruce throws shit about Maiden years later. Did he say itsopinion at that time in the press interviews? The same happened in 1993-1998 when he threw shit about Maiden albums and some members of the band.

If Rod can change the No Prayer for the Dying album cover, why they still allow this album cover in the remasters?
Are Rod and Steve the only members that decide about this sort of things?

Yes it's a bit empty but a decent base to work upon and I see nothing wrong here (Eddie always looked cool to me). Plus I'd rather have an empty yet somewhat decent cover than that CGI aberration.
If Rod can change the No Prayer for the Dying album cover, why they still allow this album cover in the remasters?
Good point. And IMO No Prayer's original Illustration is not their worst cover by any stretch.

I wished the artist could finished it.
Me too. I think the problem with the cover is the use of CGI - the artwork made for the backdrop of the title track during DOD tour is way better.
This is an option, yes. They can release the original cover for the remaster, but without the use of CGI.

Here is the full artwork:

View attachment 17137
Looking at this artwork again (which is full of details), I really hope Maiden to return with a cover full of details for the next album - especially if Eddie is a warrior again. This is a big tradition for Maiden's covers. And a bright cover too.

-> TBOS and Senjutsu are the only album covers of the band with no details (black & dark green backgrounds).

Last edited:
On the single cover of ''Wasted Years'' there are 3 years written - 1986, 1999 and 2050 (August, 25th is the release date of AMOLAD). The funny coincidence is that 1999 is the year of the Reunion with Bruce and Adrian... the prophecy? This always makes me smile. And btw, we can also see an inscription Time Machine Total Status on one of the screens... plus more things: 23-58, Powerslave, TNOTB, Live After Death (pictures) and a football pitch.

Speaking of this single cover, the band did not want to reveal the Cyborg Eddie before the release of the album.

Attachments

• wasted years.jpg
    wasted years.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 24
I know I'm not gonna make new friends with this comment, but I think that Tailgunner picture shows just how limited an artist Riggs really is.

I have to disagree. He's a good artist in his field. I agree that Eddie is not well done on this one. It's much better the main artwork for tailgunner, Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter, Holy Smoke or Hallowed be thy name Eddies are poorly done. It was the time when Derek was really burned to draw Eddies and because Rod.

The backdrop for ''Wasted Years'' during TBOS tour was a strange suprise, but it actually fits - one can expect an artwork with SIT Eddie, but in the video for the song we can see Eddies from the covers of the previous albums (and not only), so it was a nice throwback moment.

The Eddies in the artwork (some are from the Best Of The Beast cover) are: TBOS, BNW, TFF, SIT, Powerslave (mummy Eddie), POM, TNOTB, Live After Death, Maiden England (2013 artwork) and TROBB single.

Attachments

• wasted years live 2016.png
    wasted years live 2016.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Back