Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I think Jan brings the riffs and melodies and Steve puts them together to flow like a song and writes the lyrics.
The lyrics and vocal melodies. This is what Harris does when he co-writes a song. They made it clear several times. For instance, he wrote a first version of TBoS and "lost" it, having to write another vocal melody. I would love to hear this first version he was very plesed with.

From the track by track superfan review I realized one thing guys:

We already really really like Stratego and this is what he said about Days of Future Past!!!

"The Verdict:
At this point, we’ve reached what is the strongest song yet (and not just because it’s a short one), as Senjutsu begins its fast-rising upward arc.
"

We are in for an absolutely incredible song if its even better than Stratego. I can't even imagine this scenario. So hyped!!!!
Can't wait to hear ''Days Of Future Past''. I expect an amazing chorus (again), riffs, melodies and a brutal solo from Adrian.

Btw, he was also right that ''Stratego'' has a big DOD vibe - BNW vibe too, I'd say.

Can't wait to hear ''Days Of Future Past''. I expect an amazing chorus (again), riffs, melodies and a brutal solo from Adrian.

Btw, he was also right that ''Stratego'' has a big DOD vibe - BNW vibe too, I'd say.

One of the reviews quoted that it’s got an Eastern-like melody. Can’t wait to hear it.

One of the reviews quoted that it’s got an Eastern-like melody. Can’t wait to hear it.
The instrumental part after the guitar solo is indeed eastern sounding to me. Other than that, I can't hear any DOD or BNW here, only Bruce solo material. I wanted to say, in Stratego. Great stuff nevertheless!

Last edited:
Judas Priest is a great band and Faulkner Has given them fresh sound. But comparing them and Maiden is just not fair. JP is band that want to play old school metal. Maiden want to play what they want to play, even if its country folk with hard rock.

I cant understand how some people be so disrespectful towards artists to say that they should sound like other bands. Imagine telling Van Gogh that he should paint more like Picasso.

What's even more bad is that these things are said by nobodys. People who maybe play guitar covers in their bedrooms to post them later on YouTube and somehow they think that this gives them right to tell others how to write their music.

I never understood why people had to compare Maiden with other bands like Priest or Metallica. Sure, if you´d ask 100 people to name one great metal band those will be Top 3 for sure. But 3 very different bands.

The weird thing about people is that There are also people who say "meh, gallop again, they are making the same music for 40 years. I get it, this is their thing but someone should say them it is 2021" while maiden fans cheering four "oh a galllop song again after such a long time, this is like classic maiden"

Same song. Some people criticize them for making the same music and some people criticize them for not making music like they used to do in 80s'.
I mean, it is obvious: It is not Maiden, It is YOU! You don't want classic maiden, you want your youth. You don't want maiden to make modern music, you want to bash a legend band. It is okay to not like maiden at all. It is okay to like one of their eras only. But I don't understand how the same song can be an excuse to hit from both sides.

The same people who complain about that stuff totally ignore the throwback songs they do get, and say they aren't good either. Like Death or Glory, which was a very strong song in the short, rocker vein - but it still wasn't good enough.

That's because of the monkey line. Totally cringe, ruins the song, can't take Maiden making a joke of themselves, we should edit it out.

I'll say this much: There was a lot of negativity about all Maiden releases, but it's been on the rise exponentially. What we are witnessing right now does not compare to the period before TBOS. People never counted bars or talked about shifting tracklists of an album they haven't heard yet or editing songs before. I don't know if people have gotten more neurotic during the pandemic or if it's because they have had all their, erm, 'critical thoughts' jammed up in them for six years and need to get them all out at once, or because everyone thinks their opinions matter now, but it's getting really bad. If I were Maiden and saw the meltdown, I'd just go, "Okay, you people obviously don't want the album, so you won't get it. We'll play the full Powerslave album next tour instead."

I'll say this much: There was a lot of negativity about all Maiden releases, but it's been on the rise exponentially. What we are witnessing right now does not compare to the period before TBOS. People never counted bars or talked about shifting tracklists of an album they haven't heard yet or editing songs before. I don't know if people have gotten more neurotic during the pandemic or if it's because they have had all their, erm, 'critical thinking' jammed up in them for six years and need to get them all out at once, or because everyone thinks their opinions matter now, but it's getting really bad. If I were Maiden and saw the meltdown, I'd just go, "Okay, you people obviously don't want the album, so you won't get it. We'll play the full Powerslave album next tour instead."

It's almost like a disease, too many people are constantly online getting radicalised by reading constant negativity. Posters turn almost into a self parody style caricature of themselves, they posted a few negative opinions in the past so now they need to one up those previous comments.

And it's not just Maiden forums in case anyone thinks I'm being too precious. Someone mentioned youtube comments, which is the example par excellence of this sort of toxicity

It is not a joke tho. It is a quote. It sounds cringy but that line gets lots of hate and I think it doesn't deserve it.

I know it's a quote. I was paraphrasing the haters for their ridiculous backlash.

I thought about pointing that out, but then I thought it would be obvious.

I think that issue with Death and Glory is in low esteem of some fans. They just cant stand that someone will associate them with song that has line 'monkey out of hell'.

I think that issue with Death and Glory is in low esteem of some fans. They just cant stand that someone will associate them with song that has line 'monkey out of hell'.

I think that the line should be read in the sense of "climb out of hell like a monkey". Because monkeys are fast climbers and to someone living in 1914 it was a pretty apt comparison.

I think that the line should be read in the sense of "climb out of hell like a monkey". Because monkeys are fast climbers and to someone living in 1914 it was a pretty apt comparison.

The songs about the Red Baron and the pilot himself had said that his plane climbs like a monkey and turns like a devil. Why are Maiden getting shit for this ? They’re just re-quoting the Barons lines.

Guys, if I remember correctly, all forum members, who are not so happy with Maiden sound, compared Priest and Maiden in terms of album (specifically Firepower) production, not songwriting itself. Let's not deviate from that. You say Firepower sounds clinical, artificial and not 'real'. We say it's best produced Priest album in many many years. With all that studio magic and trickery. That's fine. We can agree to disagree.
In my book, studio album must be polished. That's all.

The songs about the Red Baron and the pilot himself had said that his plane climbs like a monkey and turns like a devil. Why are Maiden getting shit for this ? They’re just re-quoting the Barons lines.

Yes, that is my point.

Back