Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Loved the moment when he picked The Parchment as his second favourite and stated it as "bit of surprise" as it has some "repetition." :D

The best part is that he said that the people who listened the whole thing really loved The Parchment.... Showing again that despite some slips Steve knows what he's doing :)

Great stuff overall. Takes a few spins to 'grasp it', but the rhythm and vibe is very cool. Old school. If I had to be a little critical....its Jan's solo. Its good and fiery, but from a melodic point of view, I feel he's stuck repeating the same lines and runs. I think he's done this exact type of solo in about 5 or 6 songs already. I always think Jan is better when he reigns in the freewheeling style. I know he likes that playing edge, but to keep the pace...he repeats the same 'isms' over and over that he seems overly comfortable with. Anyways, its a small thing, and the track is great really.
Also same as with WOTW release...the Youtube version is a little muffled. Spotify is better. Gonna test out itunes now
Will listen on iTunes when I go out later. TWOTW sounds killer on my system in the suv.

I am not an expert in music but I love it when Bruce sings refrains in lower ranges in modern Maiden era. This song shines. I dont feel the same about songs like El dorado where he tries to go higher.

After first listens I like it. I like the bass drum driving the song. Riffs are ok. Keyboards are a welcome addition, especially well working in the breakdown and chorus after the solo (very climatic part btw). And it's nice to hear Bruce sounding better and more refined than on TBOS, also more of his lower registers.
Now what I don't like is Janick's solo. I like his songs. I even don't mind him following the vocals (though I think in this song it does not work quite well). But tbh this solo sounds weak.

Very excited to read so many positive takes on Stratego. I have to wait 8 more hours until I'm back home and ready to listen... At least it looks like I won't be disappointed when I finally hear it!

This is opening more and more. I like this one alot. Really compact rocking piece, it has the gallop and classic Maiden feelings.
Now that I listened it for the 2nd time on headphones, it does sound really good thinking of the mix, also there's bit of Bond feeling present.
Sort of has solo-Bruce feelings, I like his doubled vocals and the whole performance from him is so fucking good and nailed. I love him.
I got my hopes high for the album, both song so far are good and getting better with each listen.
Thanks Iron Maiden! :cheers:

After first listens I like it. I like the bass drum driving the song. Riffs are ok. Keyboards are a welcome addition, especially well working in the breakdown and chorus after the solo (very climatic part btw). And it's nice to hear Bruce sounding better and more refined than on TBOS, also more of his lower registers.
Now what I don't like is Janick's solo. I like his songs. I even don't mind him following the vocals (though I think in this song it does not work quite well). But tbh this solo sounds weak.
agreed. Janick kind of phoning it in....the usual stuff, not really connecting to the theme of the song....just his usual fast patterns. Thats my only real issue too

It's interesting that it's Janick who has consistently brought the gallop in post reunion Maiden. As if the others are tired of it, but Janick wasn't in Maiden when the gallop was most prominent. But was a Maiden fan, and wants to recapture what he liked when he was just a fan and not in the band.

I'm kinda surprised with all the positivity from you guys.

The song didn't click for me on first listen. I'm on the third listen now and I am starting to enjoy it.

I feel like there's something lacking. It sounds like Bruce is kinda muddy, doesn't it? Well, at least on spotify.

I don't know what to think yet, really. Just started to listen on youtube now and it sounds better. I'm confused, sorry.

Edit: Bruce sounds less muddy on youtube for me. Cool.

Last edited:
agreed. Janick kind of phoning it in....the usual stuff, not really connecting to the theme of the song....just his usual fast patterns. Thats my only real issue too
I do think he nailed it with the solo. I do hear that his solos are pretty much similar to his past stuff but it actually synchs in well with the mood and melody of the track. It is a bit of a dark song and I think his solos actually fit these dark mood songs well. His solo sounds very similar to that of ghost of the navigator.

If I were to nitpick after multiple listens-
The only issue i have is Janick following Bruce in the verse. Because his voice is already low in the mix, it is a little distracting for me. Also, that underlying melody could have been played as a rhythm rather than in a single lead note the way he did.

Back