Official Hockey discussion thread

I think he’s talking about the Hawks getting a prospect back, which apparently this did. Deal was literally just updated

Duncan Keith + Tim Söderlund for Caleb Jones + a 3rd

I think he’s talking about the Hawks getting a prospect back, which apparently this did. Deal was literally just updated

Duncan Keith + Tim Söderlund for Caleb Jones + a 3rd
Oh. He is about a wash with Jones. Söderlund is a pretty small forward with some skill, but nothing special. The fact he did not get a callup last year when half of Rockford played for the Hawks says a lot

209943772_2938871566335422_5339025172221740726_n.png

Wild are buying out Suter and Paraise

Kind of surprised about Suter, he he still playing a pretty good game, Paraise was obviously toast

Last edited:
Parise is better than his points suggest but not a 7.5 million dollar player anymore. Yeah, the Islanders seem likely for him on a small deal. Suter will get lots of interest. Colorado would be the best landing spot for him, if the goal is to win a Cup.

Parise is better than his points suggest but not a 7.5 million dollar player anymore. Yeah, the Islanders seem likely for him on a small deal. Suter will get lots of interest. Colorado would be the best landing spot for him, if the goal is to win a Cup.
Will be interesting to see what Suter signs for. A tad younger and still playing better than Keith. I have gotten some amusement looking at Oilers fans comments about the Keith trade. If he signs for the same/less that 2 years/$5.5M per, I will get some more amusement.

The Oilers fans I know are furious right now, and understandably so. And even moreso when Suter was bought out. Man, what a terrible trade. The worst since Ryan O'Reilly? Probably.

The Oilers fans I know are furious right now, and understandably so. And even moreso when Suter was bought out. Man, what a terrible trade. The worst since Ryan O'Reilly? Probably.
When the team hires 2 GMs in a row that still think it is the 1980s/90s ... that is pretty much what you get. Holland was comparing this to getting Chelios in Detroit.

When the team hires 2 GMs in a row that still think it is the 1980s/90s ... that is pretty much what you get. Holland was comparing this to getting Chelios in Detroit.
The difference being that Chelios was, uh, good in 1999, and Duncan Keith has been cooked for 2-3 years. Yeah, Holland has not been a good GM. Better than Chiarelli - however, that's a low fucking bar.

The difference being that Chelios was, uh, good in 1999, and Duncan Keith has been cooked for 2-3 years. Yeah, Holland has not been a good GM. Better than Chiarelli - however, that's a low fucking bar.
Yeah .. the Hawks pretty much hosed Chiarelli on the Manning trade a few years ago (of course they hosed themselves by signing him to begin with), but the Oilers bailed them out.

As someone who greatly respected, yet hated that team in the 80s, I have been enjoying their failures since .. but even I am getting to the point of feeling sorry for them ... yet happy to know there is a place to dump some bad contracts.

My relationship status with the Oilers is now officially "It's Complicated"

Well it's just sad. They picked first overall, what, four times? And they have only converted that to one series win in 11 years. Plus the Leon Draisaitl draft? I mean, come on. This is ridiculous at this point.

They don't have a goaltender. They don't have a defense corps. They don't have anyone who can score aside from Connor and Leon. It's a shell of a team.

I'm reading the protected/unprotected lists and There are a few WTF moments for sure. Boston didn't or more like COULDN't protect Louzon. MTL is not protecting Price!? The guy that carried you to the final? is it cap space? Age? Both? Tarasenko in St. Louis makes sense in the context of his health issues. He's been very vocal about his lack of trust in the organization as a whole. With Ovechkin I see it as a mix of age, health, MAJOR dip in production and well... money, he's still Ovechkin. Any others that raised eyebrows for you guys?

With Price, they trust his ridiculous cap hit will protect him. This lets them also protect Jake Allen, who many experts expected to go to Seattle, to maintain what was a pretty successful tandem.

Ovechkin is a UFA. Which means even if Seattle takes him, all they get is his negotiating rights until free agency opens up, at which point Ovi is free to re-sign in Washington. Seattle is allowed to negotiate with UFAs over the next few days, to see if they're interested in signing, before they pick a guy off a roster.

It's likely some will get picked, even to get flipped for rights reasons after. But Ovi? Nah, he's one of those guys that if he wants to go to Seattle, he'll tell them. And he doesn't, he wants to stay in Washington.

The draft was pretty anti-climatic this time around. Hawks lost no one of note, so I am happy with that. Again. Oilers fans losing their shit, Larsson pretty much took the same money to sign with Seattle

The trade and FA season should be pretty interesting.

I agree it wasn't too exciting. Part of the reason was that most of the picks were leaked, the other reason is, at least the impression I got, many of these players seemed very happy to go to Seattle. The vegas players made it clear they were pissed their teams didn't protect them and underestimated them. To this day they play with that chip on their shoulder. That in itslef will make Seattle different. The league, players and fans knew what to expect this time around. Everyone thought Vegas would be like any other expansion team and suck ass for several years. Instead they made the finals. Those expectations are now on Seattle... by everyone. We'll see.

I agree it wasn't too exciting. Part of the reason was that most of the picks were leaked, the other reason is, at least the impression I got, many of these players seemed very happy to go to Seattle. The vegas players made it clear they were pissed their teams didn't protect them and underestimated them. To this day they play with that chip on their shoulder. That in itslef will make Seattle different. The league, players and fans knew what to expect this time around. Everyone thought Vegas would be like any other expansion team and suck ass for several years. Instead they made the finals. Those expectations are now on Seattle... by everyone. We'll see.
I think they have a foundation of a decent team and a ton of cap space (and probably some trades to make) to get better. Question is how much.

I did like the Octopus making the pick from Detroit though

Canadiens defenseman Shea Weber's career is likely over because of injuries, while left winger Jonathan Drouin is expected to return to the team next season, general manager Marc Bergevin said on Thursday at the team's year-end news conference.

Too bad, he was a hell of a player. Wicked shot

Back