Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Going to ask here - how many people are interested in an Senjutsu release party? We can put the album on, talk about it, drink Trooper.

It can be done by Google Meet, which means no installing apps for @Perun.

Depends on the time chosen and other variables, but it definitely sounds sweet and I'd like to be there.

Also, I never saw/heard y'all, ever, so it'd be a nice first as well (I actually proposed a video chat some time back, but forgot to follow up on that).

Sounds manageable, especially since it's a Friday (if we're talking about the 3rd), worst case scenario I'd join a tad later (but that probably won't be necessary).

Any predictions of how long from new lp announcement to tour announcement?
Books of Souls tour was announced less than 1 month after lp released.
We know June and July are booked next year for end of LOTB tour so assume will take couple months off before starting up again so September start at earliest.
Really think tour will announce and go on sale 1 year ahead of time?

Any predictions of how long from new lp announcement to tour announcement?
Books of Souls tour was announced less than 1 month after lp released.
We know June and July are booked next year for end of LOTB tour so assume will take couple months off before starting up again so September start at earliest.
Really think tour will announce and go on sale 1 year ahead of time?
Still think LOTB last leg will be rebranded.

The Senjutsu thread is abnormal, it's more a dump than a thread. I want to follow up on someone's post about something and meanwhile 3-4 new posts appear about 3 other things.

About the interview, I can't quite pick out the workflow due to the way Dickinson phrases it. The part about Harris's songs can be read out as him forming songs out of the band jams.

He first talks about rehearsal, and then Harris shuts out for a couple of days, comes with a song then everyone's "back in studio". If that's chronologically correct, those Harris songs might've had a lot of input from everyone in the band, being sourced from jams. However, it may be that they rehearsed Harris' ideas from the get go, and after capturing that on tape, he would then work with whole parts, to arrange a song 'draft' which the band would work on in the studio.

In any case the amount of Harris credits is very large. It might be that all the songs he's credited in, were constructed from band jams. Dickinson mentiones him and Smith sitting down and writing songs, but doesn't say about Harris sitting down with anyone, as he did with AMOLAD, with Smith and later with Gers and Murray. It might be incomplete info but it also might be indicative of the studio process they've had. Perhaps ideas that Gers and Smith had were rehearsed, jammed, and then utilized by Steve in the arrangements. And just maybe, some other Smith's co-credits might've been lyrics too.

About that collaboration, it's now clear that both of Smith/Dickinson duo worked together on everything ("sat down with guitars and singing"), therefore a strange combo of Dickinson music and Smith lyrics isn't out of the option.

I would really like to believe that the writing process behind the bulk of the album isn't the same that was used with The Red and The Black.
However due to the quality of the lead single (great arrangement, sound, texturing and details, considering it's a three chord song) I am very optimistic.

The Senjutsu thread is abnormal, it's more a dump than a thread. I want to follow up on someone's post about something and meanwhile 3-4 new posts appear about 3 other things.

About the interview, I can't quite pick out the workflow due to the way Dickinson phrases it. The part about Harris's songs can be read out as him forming songs out of the band jams.

He first talks about rehearsal, and then Harris shuts out for a couple of days, comes with a song then everyone's "back in studio". If that's chronologically correct, those Harris songs might've had a lot of input from everyone in the band, being sourced from jams. However, it may be that they rehearsed Harris' ideas from the get go, and after capturing that on tape, he would then work with whole parts, to arrange a song 'draft' which the band would work on in the studio.

In any case the amount of Harris credits is very large. It might be that all the songs he's credited in, were constructed from band jams. Dickinson mentiones him and Smith sitting down and writing songs, but doesn't say about Harris sitting down with anyone, as he did with AMOLAD, with Smith and later with Gers and Murray. It might be incomplete info but it also might be indicative of the studio process they've had. Perhaps ideas that Gers and Smith had were rehearsed, jammed, and then utilized by Steve in the arrangements. And just maybe, some other Smith's co-credits might've been lyrics too.

About that collaboration, it's now clear that both of Smith/Dickinson duo worked together on everything ("sat down with guitars and singing"), therefore a strange combo of Dickinson music and Smith lyrics isn't out of the option.

I would really like to believe that the writing process behind the bulk of the album isn't the same that was used with The Red and The Black.
However due to the quality of the lead single (great arrangement, sound, texturing and details, considering it's a three chord song) I am very optimistic.
I thought the described Harris approach was mighty interesting. I interpreted it as really him working on a song alone, and then -when done- he explains it to all the guys, everybody joins in (kinda the way Bruce did Empire of the Clouds, although I think Bruce came out of his isolation several times, and showed some of his stuff to others/'Arry before continuing). This happened four times. :--)

I'm hoping for some weird rhythms. Some unexpected stuff. Long songs need that.

As if less preparation than before was done in all the songcreations, before the studio time. Most was created or at least shaped/finished in the studio. Sound very organic and spontaneous.

Last edited:
I thought the described Harris approach was mighty interesting. I interpreted it as really him working on a song alone, and then -when done- he explains it to all the guys, everybody joins in (kinda the way Bruce did Empire of the Clouds, although I think Bruce came out of his isolation several times, and showed some of his stuff to others/'Arry before continuing). This happened four times. :--)

Agreed. Pretty sure it was a method he used when writing Alexander as well.

The Senjutsu thread is abnormal, it's more a dump than a thread.
The interesting bits are scarce indeed. It is a thread dominated by manic posters, some of them posting uninteresting content. Several other topics are suddenly very active as well. (sorry, can't make it sound more positive).

Last edited:
Agreed. Pretty sure it was a method he used when writing Alexander as well.

Rime too

I'm hoping for some weird rhythms. Some unexpected stuff. Long songs need that.

Same here.

Also using TRATB as an example, that kind of a song can be done in 1 day by band like Iron Maiden if it's done part by part. There's really nothing to rehearse, it's just a bunch of riffs and melodies over their standard grooves. I would like it to be opposite this time, e.g. Harris put twists and turns there that are non trivial.

Can we ballpark the studio days they used this time around? For comparison to other albums. There is 80 minutes of material, if my hopes are correct it should be an AMOLAD-style album(*), seems like songwriting went seamless but they did use attention to detail this time (as opposed to Book of Souls)

(*) The bulk of the album are long songs - 7+ min, you don't try to do filler with long songs, and then there is only a handful of short songs, and everyones attention will be there too, because they contrast the bulk. We now have twice less, 3 as opposed to 6 on TBOS, "shorter" songs. This does point to a consistent album.

Back