New Single - The Writing on the Wall

Can't stand the intro and the main riff (average rock stuff, like many H riffs), but the vocal melody line, the chorus and solos are fine. Anyway, if they continue their historical trend, this gives little indication on the remaining songs.

Last edited:
They don't, but there are explicit references in the promo: Belshazzar's Feast, Daniel, and the writing on the wall.

So it was reasonable to think that Maiden may have written about this topic. Instead Bruce seems to have used Babylon's fall as loose inspiration for a fantasy/apocalypse tale. Which is perfectly fine, but I would have preferred (and was expecting) a historical epic theme instead.

The video and theme actually strikes me as quite kiddish, but it's just personal taste really. I'm sure others love the fantasy/apocalypse setting and that's fine also.
OK, it's pretty common for lyricists to use metaphors and such. They are writing songs not history books. But OK fair call. You like what you like.

Delain did a song about Babylon. HMmm, actually that was probably a metaphor there also. Sorry, never mind, forget I mentioned it. LOL.

How? Where? I've seen this mentioned a couple of times but to me the entire song is different in both riffing and feel.I don't rea
I don't really hear this either. I hear a little bit of a Priest riffing under the first bunch of solos, and overall, I hear tons of Bruce solo material vibes, no surprise this is an Adrian/Buce song as if something for a future Bruce solo album. Another surprise, the solos are NOT those typical Maiden solos, while the rhythm section still brings back an 80s vibe.

I think this is my listen number 6 or 7.

I enjoy the overall positive and optimistic feel of the whole song. But to me this the single feels like just a part of something bigger, like an introduction. I put big hopes in the "story written by Bruce".

There are a few bars from the intro, that I would omit completely. They don't add to the song and feel stitched in just cause they were lying around.

Adrian's solo though!!!! My lord, I love it more and more each listen.

Mother Russia vibes at 4:04min between the solos

There's another part like that, in another song that I remember vividly, but I can't recall where - it's even closer to this than MR. I thought it was near the end of Wild Wind, but that one's too slow, probably something else still.

EDIT: Maybe I'm imagining things, checked some songs and couldn't find it now.

Last edited:
@Forostar , what's your take on the solos?
Looks like this thread is divided:. 1/2 say Dave plays the 1st one & H the 2nd one while other 1/2 say H plays both (I think H plays both)
Okay @terrell39 thanks to you I decided to take a listen. And I do not regret it! :)

First:
Man, that 2nd solo segment... such an awesome, loose-but-directed interplay/accents in the accompanying music (drums, bass, rhythm (also acoustic) guitars). Great groove. Love to see that live!

I can see the confusion about that first solo. There are certainly aspects of both. While I hear some Adrianic elements, the high fast work (also the choice of note in the beginning) and that type of feel leads me to think it's Dave.

Last edited:
Okay @terrell39 thanks to you I decided to take a listen. And I do not regret it! :)

First:
Man, that 2nd solo segment... such an awesome, loose-but-directed interplay/accents in the accompanying music (drums, bass, rhythm (also acoustic) guitars).

I can see the confusion. There is certainly aspects of both. While I hear some Adrianic elements, the high fast work (also the choice of tone in the beginning) and that type of feel leads me to think it's Dave.
The second solo is also a bit Pink Floyd-ish to me, it's becoming one of H's best solos with time I think, a classic one.

First:
Man, that 2nd solo segment... such an awesome, loose-but-directed interplay/accents in the accompanying music (drums, bass, rhythm (also acoustic) guitars). Great groove. Love to see that live!

I can see the confusion about that first solo. There are certainly aspects of both. While I hear some Adrianic elements, the high fast work (also the choice of tone in the beginning) and that type of feel leads me to think it's Dave.

edit: while I wrote that I'm beginning to doubt already. ;--)
Maybe Shirley and the band fooled us and took parts of both guys ;)
First half definitely sounds like Dave (that legato playing). That last bit makes me doubt.

the outro lead is also Dave (like his stuff in Out of the Shadows)

After many listens of the new single, here's my opinion:

The song is still 50/50 for me. The only reunion era single which I didn't liked from the first listen... hope it will grow on me.
I don't like this kind of animated videos.
The production is good - a little bit similar to the one of TBOS album.
The single cover is too cartoonish cheap CGI stuff. Hope the album cover will be a lot better. At least it's a proper single cover.
I'm not a big fan of the western melodies during the intro, but actually the melody is cool.
Acoustic intro is mandatory for their albums. It's not so bad.
The guitars sound is good. The drums sound is not bad too.
The best part of the song is the instrumental section - great solos (Adrian's solo is unique) and especially triple-lead guitar harmonies (the melody after the 1st solo which has a ''Mother Russia'' vibe is pure gold).
The chorus is not bad, but the singing from Bruce is too low. His singing in TOAC is also low, but it is much better and he sounds better in TBOS album imo.
The vocal melody of the verses and the intro fits the atmosphere and the theme of the song.
The song is too slow (even not mid-tempo). Not much energy in it. Hope for a more fast-paced songs.
The rhythm riff is too ''live sounding''.

- Smith/Dickinson combo has better songs. Maybe it's a Bruce solo song redirected for Maiden again.

A bit different song for Maiden. My expectations were high. I think Maiden can do a lot better than that. Hope this will be the worst song from the album.

Another nod to the lyrics. This was probably written in 2019 and we know what has happened since then...everything from political turmoil and covid, this is spot on.

Maybe Shirley and the band fooled us and took parts of both guys ;)
First half definitely sounds like Dave (that legato playing). That last bit makes me doubt.

the outro lead is also Dave (like his stuff in Out of the Shadows)
Yes, it can be :) To me it's still Davey for the first solo and H for the second, 90% sure LOL

Listened to it on a loop on Amazon Music yesterday evening, and a few more times this morning. Reinforced my initial impression on watching the YT premiere: underwhelming. Dislike the intro and the incongruous southern/country rock-ish riff, and find the rest of it, with exception of the solos, a bit plodding. However, Adrian's solo is *magnificent*, and I suspect I'll enjoy track more in the context of the album.

Can someone make a list of all references in the video?

Edit: I did it (not sure if these are all though):
The Four Horsemen are Reaper Eddie (DOD), Cyborg Eddie (SIT), Pharoah Eddie (Powerslave) and Mayan Eddie (TBOS) + 5th member with an axe (Killers Eddie)
Samurai Eddie from the LOTB game.
The picture of Eddie's face from ''Twilight Zone'' single cover in the sand.
Sooty (from the front of Nicko's drum kit live).
crashed Ed Force One (from TBOS tour).
crashed R101
posters of ''Can I Play With Madness'' Eddie - not sure about this Eddie.
Eddie's Archive box set in the sand.
NPFTD tombstone.
broken helmet from TFF album cover.
Trooper beers.
the apple from SSOASS album cover.
Cart & Horses
Aces High bar
A clock in the sand frozen at 23:58.
Ring in the form of POM Eddie head.
666 inscription (in Roman) on the car.
The flag from ''The Trooper'' single cover.
The tower from the Belshazzar's feast poster.

Last edited:
Back