Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the new album was recorded in Dolby Atmos that could sound absolutely incredible
dubly_spinal_tap_t-shirt_530p.jpg

I am guessing Belshazzar's Feast is written by Janick, Steve and Bruce. Since Steve now has had lots of practice writing short songs with British Lion, i fully expect this to be a quick 7.30 mins. They have written songs like Dance of Death, Monstegur etc so Belshazzar's Feast doesn't seem that far off.

Last edited:
I am guessing Belshazzar's Feast is written by Janick, Steve and Bruce. Since Steve now has had lots of practice writing short songs with British Lion, i fully expect this to be a quick 7.30 mins. They have written songs like Dance of Death, Monstegur etc so Belshazzar's Feast doesn't seem that far off.
While I doubt we are getting a title like that, it's time for another Bruce and Janick collaboration!

Has anyone seen this version of the Seventh Son Eddie before? It is the first time that I see it. Is this a new one?
Not much help, but I had a shirt with that art on it back in the late 80’s. Forgot where I got it (in U.S) but it’s been out there before.

The wind blowing makes me wonder if my supposition for what WOTW is correct (Written on the Wind).

Writing on the Wall is similar, and may have inspired Belshazzar's Feast, but I like Written on the Wind better.

Fair enough, everyone has their own tastes and there is nothing wrong with that

It's also about limits of budget and space, and what alternatives you can get in that direction.
If i put 7.1 in Amazon I'll get as first result "Fluance Elite", a shitload of speakers, for about $900 new. I can count 18 individual drivers in 8 boxes some of them being floorstanders meaning a lot of wood in the package.

The 7.1 system is about $50 per driver. If you invest that $900 in a stereo product, you're ending up probably with 6 drivers on 2 3way bass reflexes, meaning $150 per driver. The quantity of wood on 7.1 vs higher quality of way lower amount of wood on stereo. You get a product in another quality bracket.

And then you need to count in the receiver/amplifier. Their cost is high and their power usage is not minuscule.

If you're talking Atmos effects only, those can be done by DSP, there's an application from Dolby for that.

For native recording, if the band is compatible why not, Pink Floyd used quadraphonics and panning to get surround even in 70s, but Maiden have been always live mixed in stereo so why even bother. Of course I wouldn't mind if there was native surround downmix published, that would mean we could rip out some instrument stems out of it.

The Dolby DSP application just multiband compresses and equalizes the package, when you apply it to a normal stereo mix, and maybe saturates and enhances a bit. Basically like the Ozone mixing plugin. So you get that "phat bass man". I instantly turned it off. Actual summed (or played back through an atmos system) mixes I can understand, but I don't like it. The DSP app is just a gadget, music wise, at this point, but that may change with Atmos mixes in need of decoding or something.

Last edited:
The Dolby DSP application just multiband compresses and equalizes the package. So you get that "phat bass man". I instantly turned it off. Actual summed (or played back through an atmos system) mixes I can understand, but I don't like it. The DSP app is just a gadget.

"Hello! Dolby Atmos will work with any standard pair of headphones…in fact, that’s what it’s designed for! You don’t need a special sound card on PC or any special hardware on the Xbox One either (As long as you have one of the controllers with a headphone jack).

A lot of the headphones that are sold today as “surround headphones” are actually just stereo headphones using software a la Dolby Atmos."

"Hello! Dolby Atmos will work with any standard pair of headphones…in fact, that’s what it’s designed for! You don’t need a special sound card on PC or any special hardware on the Xbox One either (As long as you have one of the controllers with a headphone jack).

A lot of the headphones that are sold today as “surround headphones” are actually just stereo headphones using software a la Dolby Atmos."
I tried it. It sounded like ass. Multiband compression and EQ and MAAGIC (?). That's pretty much what it sounded to me like it does on a normal stereo track, which was supposed to be "enhanced". Playing around with phasing etc for immersive audio, nah, pass.

Summed Atmos mixes, with weird ass panning, that's a different story. I get it, but I don't like it.

Last edited:
View attachment 15605
View attachment 15606

Leana, Bruce's fiance, shared this about an hour ago on her Instagram. Post deleted a few minutes later.

New concept art from the album booklet, or something?

And those 3 words.... Mene Tekel Upharsin!

It's coming.
For fuck's sake.

3 days.
"The phrase mene mene tekel upharsin appears in Daniel 5, along with its translation. Some translations spell upharsin as parsin. The phrase appeared on a wall in the palace of Belshazzar, the acting king of Babylon. He is referred to as the “son of Nebuchadnezzar (Daniel 5:18, 22), although he was not Nebuchadnezzar’s immediate successor (Jeremiah 52:31). The biblical account of the mysterious and frightening appearance of the phrase mene mene tekel upharsin has given rise to the modern expression “the handwriting on the wall,” meaning “a portent or warning of inevitable misfortune.”"

WOTW is most certainly Writing on the Wall indeed. I really think it's the album's name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back