Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

That too, obviously. But if I went straight out and said "I have a shooting license because I want to protect myself against zombies", people might think of myself as a bit unhinged.

It's good to have the knowledge in my repository about what to do when I see someone waving a gun around. It has nothing to do with a country I live in or am visiting. I don't do these things to make a point about another country where there are policies I disagree with. There have been terrorist attacks and amok shootings all over Europe. It's better to know how to get through these situations than not to know. Even if it is highly unlikely that you are ever confronted with them.
I mean, this is pretty much my reasoning for doing it one of these days. I was going to do it sometime in 2020, and, well, yeah. But knowing how to handle a gun safely is just an important skill to have. Having the knowledge of safe gun handling doesn't mean you want to go shoot guns. But I have friends who go to firing ranges and stuff, tagging along would be cool too.

Plus, there's a possibility I end up owning a home in the backwoods someday, where you should have a varmint rifle.

Also, I am currently looking at military maps of Afghanistan in what I swear has no relation to this conversation.

I've done sharpshooting myself, from about late elementary school to end of college. Recreationaly. My family has had arms at home (military officers, service members, etc.), my late grandpa taught me stuff about hunting shotgun and later I learned how to dissasemble AK-47 and all the rest behind it. I don't have any licenses because the laws are tight and I'm not interested in handguns at all. (still own some gear)

P.S. I haven't been in conscription.

Regarding home defense and or zombie invasion I religiously hold the belief that household objects are the way to go. Just throw stuff at them, charge them with a table, hit them with all your guitars, slinge CDs at them. If you need to be cornered be cornered in a kitchen, leave a pan of oil on low-setting electric heater, so you can go full medieval on them.

If it's an easy night of good sleep, make some eggs and bacon in the morning.

Regarding home defense and or zombie invasion I religiously hold the belief that household objects are the way to go. Just throw stuff at them, charge them with a table, hit them with all your guitars, slinge CDs at them. If you need to be cornered be cornered in a kitchen, leave a pan of oil on low-setting electric heater, so you can go full medieval on them.

If it's an easy night of good sleep, make some eggs and bacon in the morning.

Baseball bats are the way to go. Easy to swing and high impact. Avoid anything you need to sharpen unless you know you'll get the opportunity to. Anything that relies on ammo or fuel should be avoided unless you can loot an ammunition plant.

Baseball bats are the way to go. Easy to swing and high impact. Avoid anything you need to sharpen unless you know you'll get the opportunity to. Anything that relies on ammo or fuel should be avoided unless you can loot an ammunition plant.
Baseball bats are mint. Excellent weapons, a real maturation of the mace/club concept.

I mean, this is pretty much my reasoning for doing it one of these days. I was going to do it sometime in 2020, and, well, yeah. But knowing how to handle a gun safely is just an important skill to have. Having the knowledge of safe gun handling doesn't mean you want to go shoot guns. But I have friends who go to firing ranges and stuff, tagging along would be cool too.

Plus, there's a possibility I end up owning a home in the backwoods someday, where you should have a varmint rifle.
Well, I don't know... I rather not visit places with a lot of people who know how to handle a gun. Yikes.

Important skill my Dutch butt.

Last edited:
I guess you may say I am ignorant about it... rather than being busy with it. And I truly believe that I do not live in the surroundings where this skill would help me. If I'd be in the wrong place and at the wrong time, then... well, that's it then.

It could be a culture difference as well. Usually people into hunting, "sport" shooting, or some kind of (army) force would be into this, not the rest of the population. It also could be excellent happiness figures and low deaths-by-guns stats.
Of course that plays a role! Not many weapons around ==> not many people killed by guns ==> not much fear ==> not many thoughts about having a licence.

Last edited:
I guess you may say I am ignorant about it... rather than being busy with it. And I truly believe that I do not live in the surroundings where this skill would help me. If I'd be in the wrong place and at the wrong time, then... well, that's it then.
I mean, you do live in a place where holding a gun is probably irrelevant. There's not much wild game to worry about in the Netherlands, I'd imagine, and it's a very safe place. However, responsible gun knowledge isn't something to fear.

I also know the science behind creating a nuclear bomb. Hell, a regular bomb. Theoretically, I can create an explosive device from stuff in anyone's kitchen, because that's just science. But I'm not running around doing it.

In my country, anyone who wants to legally own a gun has to go through a safety course, because in places that do not have safety courses, guns primarily cause accidental deaths in the home. Here? Not so much.

Where I grew up, most houses in the country had a gun because you could come across a rabid coyote or something similar. That's what varmint rifles are for. But gun murders? Quite rare.

Will also get you membership of various re-enactment societies.
Honestly, this is another thing. There's various historic weapons out there I'm really interested in looking at and understanding, even if I never fire them. The thing that got me interested in the concept was watching Sean Bean fire actual Waterloo weapons, rather than props from Sharpe, and how it changed his outlook for the role and the history. Pretty neat stuff!

I've always been thinking the song was aimed at Motley Crue
Nikki Sixx thought that too, and threw a luvvie fit over it :lol:

Bruce himself said it wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just the attitudes prevalent in the LA rock scene generally. This does not in any way stop your point being valid though - Motley Crue were a prominent example, but far from being the only pebble on that particular beach (unfortunately).

Back