GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

Possibly because the echelons of Maiden and Priest's best works are at a far higher echelon than Testament and Kreator, i.e. not as tough for those bands to match their former glorys.
First of there's the obvious question: why are Priest and Maiden top records better than those band's top albums? They only are better if you like them more. But that's not even fulcral point here. We're talking about two different genres: Heavy Metal and Thrash Metal. Two different genres. And fact is Testament and Kreator are two of the biggest Thrash metal bands in the world and those two albums are really excellent and were world wide acclaimed by fans and critics alike. No one saw them comingand I believe they contributed a lot for the resurgence of Thrash Metal (that was dead with the exception of a handful of veterans still grinding it) in the form of a myriad of new bands.

Last edited:
1614014769729.png

1. Pretty good. Bit of a dull progression.
2. As said: copy cat stuff, love the bridge and solo part though!
3. Not good.
4. Good
5. Yes, now we're talking
6. Mwah
7 Good
8. Yes, now we're talking
9. Meh
10 Terribly monotonuous, repetitive overlong song

1614014898017.png
This is not a good part of the album. Traitor's Gate has it moments and No Surrender rocks alright. @karljant I think you missed this line.

Lone Wolf outright sucks, the rest is not that impressive.

Resurrection has these less good songs:

1614015042327.png

... although Temptation has a memorable chorus. But 1-7 is very, very enjoyable. The lead work, drums and vocals are outstanding.

1614015172668.png
1614015216513.png
:applause::notworthy::shred:

Saviour is good, but these Japanese tracks are among the best songs Halford ever sang on. Mindblowing metal.

Last edited:
I dunno, I found Resurrection overflowing with filler, so much so that I’ve never returned to the whole album again. Angel of Retribution kind of suffers from the same thing. Firepower on the other hand is littered with nothing but modern day classics. Of course that’s just my opinion, but to me it’s the only Priest / Halford album I’d place amongst my overall favorites, maybe Painkiller too. It’s just a really refreshing heavy metal ride. Possibly the greatest example of both the fun and the fire that’s within the genre when harnessed correctly.

10 Terribly monotonuous, repetitive overlong song
TRUE!!!!!! Especially the awful refrain. But other than that the resto of the album varies from good to amazing IMO.
:facepalm:... like this one, simply put myfavorite track after Judas rising.
Lone Wolf outright sucks,
Also agree. If Firepower had 2 or 3 less songs it would be nearly untouchable.
1614014898017.png

This is not a good part of the album. Traitor's Gate has it moments and No Surrender rocks alright.
Spectre? Traitor's Gate? No Surrender? Not good???? ....... :eek:

As for Resurrection here are my two cents:

Great stuff:
Resurrection
Made In Hell (although the initial riff is reaaaaaaally similar to the one after the solo in Helloween's I Want Out)
Silent Screams
Slow Down
The One You Love To Hate
these Japanese tracks are among the best songs Halford ever sang on. Mindblowing metal.
Yup. Hell's Last Survivor is amazing. sad Wings is also really good. But the rest of the album IMO is quite meh

I dunno, I found Resurrection overflowing with filler, so much so that I’ve never returned to the whole album again. Angel of Retribution kind of suffers from the same thing. Firepower on the other hand is littered with nothing but modern day classics. Of course that’s just my opinion, but to me it’s the only Priest / Halford album I’d place amongst my overall favorites, maybe Painkiller too. It’s just a really refreshing heavy metal ride. Possibly the greatest example of both the fun and the fire that’s within the genre when harnessed correctly.
Yup, that's also the feeling I get with Resurrection (although I kinda listen to it from times to times). there are great songs there but the others are just skipable (not that they're abominations of any kind... just meh). I don't agree with the take on AOR (always considered it a mix of every Priest's sound from every era done brilliantly, except for that last track about a lizzard in a lake). Firepower on the other hand is almost unanimous, I think. Either one likes it more or less is arguably a great heavy metal record (still there are a couple of lackluster tracks there).

Better than at least 4 Firepower tracks indeed.

EDIT:
If Firepower had 10 tracks it would have been a better ride. Less filler.
11 tracks would be perfect IMO:
  1. Firepower
  2. Lightning Strike
  3. Evil Never Dies
  4. Never The Heroes
  5. Necromancer
  6. Children of the Sun
  7. Guardians
  8. Rising From Ruins
  9. Spectre
  10. Traitors Gate
  11. No Surrender
(Flame Thrower and Sea Of Red aren't bad songs but add nothing to the album IMO)

Back