Bruce Dickinson

I've never heard that outro and had no idea it even existed. I couldn't even find it on YouTube. Based on that I'm guessing it was taken out in the 2001 remaster/re-release and not included in any release after that, because surely otherwise some trace of its existence would remain.

The original edition of the album included that bit of spoken poetry ("And all this vegetable world appeared on my left foot. As a bright sandal, formed immortal of precious stones and gold. I stooped down, and bound it on. To walk forward through eternity" read by Arthur Brown) at the end of The Alchemist. In the original Japanese release it appears after Return of the King; the 2005 remastered edition has it after Confeos.

I've never heard that outro and had no idea it even existed. I couldn't even find it on YouTube. Based on that I'm guessing it was taken out in the 2001 remaster/re-release and not included in any release after that, because surely otherwise some trace of its existence would remain.

Yeah it was a hidden track a few mins after the end of The Alchemist on the original release.

It's after a several minute long silence at the end of The Alchemist and was moved to Confeos with the re-release. The track lengths should give you an idea if it's there or not if you can't listen to it.

In the remaster it’s attached to “Confeos”, but yeah, its obscurity is disappointing because I think it’s a great way to end the record.

Here’s an upload of it.
Ha, funnily enough I looked at that video but somehow I managed to skip around through the silence without landing on the spoken section. I just assumed the added length was an uploader error.

It's after a several minute long silence at the end of The Alchemist and was moved to Confeos with the re-release. The track lengths should give you an idea if it's there or not if you can't listen to it.
It's indeed at the end of Confeos in the new digital version. I got rid of the extra tracks because I don't find them very good nor do they really fit the flow of the album (The Alchemist being a bookend and all) and I've basically listened to them once or twice so no surprise I totally forgot. I guess I just skipped over the spoken section because of the silence then.

Still remember the day I heard it first, after running to the music store. It was a more difficult album but with some very good songs and of course the masterpiece Back from the Edge.
At the day of its release I went to the music store, listened to the intro´s at the counter but didn´t buy it because it didn´t grab me. Found the tape in the salesbin of a London megastore abit later and after several listens it clicked. Grungy Bruce but with nice melodies and great vocal lines.

That's the version I listen to. I quite like Return of the King as the closing song.
I love “Return of the King”, but the actual album is on a whole other level for me. Once “The Alchemist” comes to a close the only thing I’ll be able to listen to is the spoken word joke at the end. It’s an apocalypse.

Now, “The Ghost of Cain,” on the other hand, is part of Accident of Birth and not even my vinyl’s exclusion of it will convince me otherwise!

At the day of its release I went to the music store, listened to the intro´s at the counter but didn´t buy it because it didn´t grab me. Found the tape in the salesbin of a London megastore abit later and after several listens it clicked. Grungy Bruce but with nice melodies and great vocal lines.
I bought (and still do if the man kicks his arse ;) ) every Bruce solo album, straightaway. :--)

My dream Bruce set list opens with Space Race, Back from the Edge and Solar Confinement. I think that would be awesome. What a great album!

Songs of other bands which Bruce has performed on his solo tours:

IRON MAIDEN
- Powerslave
- 2 Minutes To Midnight
- Flight Of Icarus
- The Prisoner
- Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
- Run To The Hills
- Revelations
- The Trooper
---------------------------------------------------------

All The Young Dudes (Mott The Hoople cover)
Riding With The Angels (Samson song)
Sin City (AC/DC cover)
Black Night (Deep Purple cover)
Fog On The Tyne (Lindisfarne cover)
Wishing Well (Free cover)
Travellin' In Style (Free cover)
Delilah (Tom Jones cover)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath cover)
Children Of The Grave (Black Sabbath cover)
Shooting Star (Bad Company cover)
Feel Like Makin' Love (Bad Company cover)

*He also performed the song ''Share It Or Lose It'' during the Balls To Picasso Tour 1994/1995 -> this was the original version of the song ''Armchair Hero'' (bonus song from the Skunkworks album).

Last edited:
Songs of other bands which Bruce has performed on his solo tours:

IRON MAIDEN
- Powerslave
- 2 Minutes To Midnight
- Flight Of Icarus
- The Prisoner
- Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
- Run To The Hills
- Revelations
- The Trooper
---------------------------------------------------------

All The Young Dudes (David Bowie cover)
Riding With The Angels (Samson song)
Sin City (AC/DC cover)
Black Night (Deep Purple cover)
Fog On The Tyne (Lindisfarne cover)
Wishing Well (Free cover)
Travellin' In Style (Free cover)
Delilah (Tom Jones cover)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath cover)
Children Of The Grave (Black Sabbath cover)
Shooting Star (Bad Company cover)
Feel Like Makin' Love (Bad Company cover)

*He also performed the song ''Share It Or Lose It'' during the Balls To Picasso Tour 1994/1995 -> this was the original version of the song ''Armchair Hero'' (bonus song from the Skunkworks album).

You can add Children if the Damned (acoustic) to that list. He did play that one on the Accident of Birth promo tour of HMV record stores, although I have yet to find a bootle recording.

His version of All the Young Dudes is a cover of the song by Mott the Hoople, written for them by David Bowie. :)

The title track of Bruce's solo album form 2005 is listed as ''A Tyranny Of Souls'' (in Wikipedia) and ''Tyranny Of Souls'' (on the back of the CD) - which is true? The album is called TOS, so probably the latter....

...although, (for example) the album is called The Chemical Wedding but the title track is without ''The''.

The title track of Bruce's solo album form 2005 is listed as ''A Tyranny Of Souls'' (in Wikipedia) and ''Tyranny Of Souls'' (on the back of the CD) - which is true? The album is called TOS, so probably the latter....

...although, (for example) the album is called The Chemical Wedding but the title track is without ''The''.

I’d trust the album track listing over Wikipedia.

Even if Bruce came out himself and said "it's called A Tyranny of Souls" the title is what's written on the cover.

Back