Bruce Dickinson

Maiden Powerslave listening party twitter feed:

moved to the Powerslave subforum:

Last edited:

AH:
JG: It’s always been thrilling to come onstage playing Aces High, just an explosion of power at the beginning of any Maiden set. Short and to the point, with all the power of Maiden live in a short, concise song with a great theme. 
SH: Hearing it without the Churchill’s Speech intro now is a bit odd, it should almost be there. People have heard it so many times live now that that’s the deal! 

2M2M:
BD: We wrote this on Jersey, where we were holed up in January and February, freezing cold, Atlantic gales lashing the whole place. We were in a hotel, 'locked down' ourselves pretty much, except the bar was open and it was free which was worrying...
BD: I read this book, Dispatches by Michael Herr. It is a short book but it is absolutely incredible. And there’s a line in here which is straight in the song: “Blood is freedom's stain.” It was a US General who said that. 
BD: The song is about the glory of war and the despair and futility of war. It displays the best of humankind and also the worst of humankind in sharp focus. 
AS: I started work on this in Jersey. I pretty much had the music written already & Bruce finished off the lyrics in Nassau. I remember AC/DC arriving at the studio just as we were leaving. Bruce collared Brian Johnson and we played him a rough mix 
Thank you very much!!!

AH:
JG: It’s always been thrilling to come onstage playing Aces High, just an explosion of power at the beginning of any Maiden set. Short and to the point, with all the power of Maiden live in a short, concise song with a great theme. 
SH: Hearing it without the Churchill’s Speech intro now is a bit odd, it should almost be there. People have heard it so many times live now that that’s the deal! 

2M2M:
BD: We wrote this on Jersey, where we were holed up in January and February, freezing cold, Atlantic gales lashing the whole place. We were in a hotel, 'locked down' ourselves pretty much, except the bar was open and it was free which was worrying...
BD: I read this book, Dispatches by Michael Herr. It is a short book but it is absolutely incredible. And there’s a line in here which is straight in the song: “Blood is freedom's stain.” It was a US General who said that. 
BD: The song is about the glory of war and the despair and futility of war. It displays the best of humankind and also the worst of humankind in sharp focus. 
AS: I started work on this in Jersey. I pretty much had the music written already & Bruce finished off the lyrics in Nassau. I remember AC/DC arriving at the studio just as we were leaving. Bruce collared Brian Johnson and we played him a rough mix 
JG: Another fantastic track to play live, great groove, an exciting opening with the guitars getting stronger as the riff opens up, till the band are all in and the song just takes off. Great half time section at the bridge before the chorus takes off.

Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
SH: Well, that was just a bit of a joke... That we couldn’t come up with any words for it because we were Losfer Words… 

Flash of the Blade
AS: A bit overlooked this one. I went a bit mad on the guitar overdubs!

(I'll move these band comments on the album to the Powerslave subforum later)

Regarding Adrian’s comment about 2 Minutes to Midnight, I think H might have got things wrong, unless AC/DC did go to Compass Point in 1984 and the sessions did not result in any album.

Funnily enough, AC/DC recorded Flick of the Switch in Nassau in 1983 straight after Iron Maiden had finished recording Piece of Mind.

Do any of the other lads have any media presence, other than via band press release?
I once found a Twitter page purporting to belong to Bruce - not sure if it was genuine but I could kind of believe it might have been him, because there was not much on there and what there was was short and "sweet", like "fuck X-Factor" etc. Sounds like Bruce ...

That was ages ago though.

To be fair, he was the only band member who could be arsed to be filmed promoting this listening party.

Might be a location issue rather than not bothering, I can't imagine Dave traveling from Hawaii or management sending a cameraman out to Hawaii etc. and most of the rest of them are off the beaten track too.

I can't imagine Dave traveling from Hawaii or management sending a cameraman out to Hawaii etc. and most of the rest of them are off the beaten track too.
I don't think that's really an issue though, since that sort of film can be done with a smartphone app these days. I'd put it down much more to:

1) Bruce is the highest profile member of the band, for a number of reasons, and
2) (being completely honest) Bruce does like the sound of his own voice ... :innocent:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jer
It is a mistake. I got this LP for Christmas and it has the regular Chemical Wedding tracklist.
Does it include the outro to “The Alchemist”? (“And all this vegetable world...”) The one I have from the Soloworks box ended after the “Chemical Wedding” reprise.

Does it include the outro to “The Alchemist”? (“And all this vegetable world...”) The one I have from the Soloworks box ended after the “Chemical Wedding” reprise.

I must admit I have not played the whole album, but it looks as if it is the same version as the Soloworks one.

I've never heard that outro and had no idea it even existed. I couldn't even find it on YouTube. Based on that I'm guessing it was taken out in the 2001 remaster/re-release and not included in any release after that, because surely otherwise some trace of its existence would remain.

Back