GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

It also pilfers musical bits from other, better albums — the vocal melody in “Ghost In The Machine” borrows heavily from the chorus guitar melody of Gamma Ray’s “Watcher In The Sky”; the title track swipes the vocal melody from Yngwie Malmsteen’s “Disciples Of Hell” and the descending guitar bit from Queensrÿche’s “Spreading The Disease”; “Born As A Stranger” and “The Launch” both rehash the verses of Maiden’s “Man On The Edge” with different lyrics; and the outro of “The Hunger” rips off the outro of Queensrÿche’s “I Don’t Believe In Love”.

:lol: you even left out the for me most obvious one the outro of Evolution ripping off The Thing That Should Not be

Reactions: Jer
I really dislike Cradle's chewing gum version of Symphonic BM. Mutter is far from being a great album but it gets my vote here easily. Rammstein.

Now this is an interesting match. Metal Church's debut is one of the first iconic Speed Metal records and although it features some great tracks I'd lie if I told you I like it more than Superunknown. So I'll go with Soundgarden. Nevertheless if Metal Church wins it's ok for me too.

Blaze's debut is ok-ish. Fear Inoculum is the best record I've listened to in the last 10 years. Tool.

Moving Pictures is a classic and features perhaps Rush's most well known track but it never rang with me. I prefer some of their 70's sound (especially an album featuring Cygnus X-1). A Farewell To Kings.

Cradle vs Rammstein is a battle of two bands that has succeded in carving their own niche in the metal world and I can respect them both for that. Cradle is the more interesting band of the two for me.

Metal Church vs Soundgarden. I like Metal Church but Superunknown is a classic hard rock/metal album in my world - Yes, it's bloated and it might not be perfect from start to finish but it has tracks like My Wave, Fell on Black Days, Black Hole Sun, Spoonman, The Day I Tried To Live, 4th of July...

Tool

A Farewell To Kings
is my favorite of these two.

Rammstein gets my vote simply on the vocals alone. They're not incredible, but they're not Dani Filth, and thus, win.

I also wouldn't necessarily consider Soundgarden metal, but Superunkown is a superb album and absolutely trumps Metal Church.

I really do love Silicon Messiah, but unfortunately it got a tough draw. Many of you know: I'm not a huge Tool fan. I think 50% of their material is absolute horseshit. But the title track, Invincible, Descending, and (especially) 7empest are simply light years better than the best Blaze has to offer.

Rush. Oh, also Moving Pictures.

Coming in to the last bit and we only have 18 voters. Are there other voters out there? Will the tie be broken?

1. Cradle of Filth is not my cup of tea. Those times where I've found stuff I like within the realms of black metal, it's been nothing like this rather generic stuff. I stand by my own nomination here and vote for Rammstein. (Btw, the title track from Mutter, in my opinion, makes a more interesting twist on the "cloned child with no mother and no identity" than Maiden did with New Frontier).

2. Metal Church doesn't do much for me. Soundgarden isn't on my favourites list either, but Cornell was a great singer and if I vote based on the samples included here, my vote goes to Soundgarden.

3. The Blaze song chosen here is great, but I must admit I like Tool more and they get my vote this time.

4. Out of the two Rush albums I've listened more to Moving Pictures and I'll give that my vote.

Last edited:
1. Cradle of Filth is not my cup of tea. Those times where I've found stuff I like within the realms of black metal, it's been nothing like this rather generic stuff. I stand by my own nomination here and vote for Rammstein. (Btw, the title track from Mutter, in my opinion, makes a more interesting twist on the "cloned child with no mother and no identity" than Maiden did with New Frontier).

2. Metal Church doesn't do much for me. Soundgarden isn't on my favourites list either, but Cornell is a great singer and if I vote based on the samples included here, my vote goes to Soundgarden.

3. The Blaze song chosen here is great, but I must admit I like Tool more and they get my vote this time.

4. Out of the two Rush albums I've listened more to Moving Pictures and I'll give that my vote.
* rubs eyes *
It's the Wingman !

I could barely make it through two songs of Cradle of Filth. Rammstein wins by default.

Metal Church is fine. Certainly not great. Soundgarden takes this one easily.

The third match was by far the hardest. Blaze unfortunately keeps getting really bad matchups. Tool by a hair. I'd be totally fine with a Blaze win though.

Both Rush albums are great. I could go either way here. Moving Pictures is definitly more iconic, so I'll give that one the vote.

Rammstein decisively eliminates Cradle of Filth from the game. They'll face Mastodon next.
Soundgarden eekes out a win on Metal Church. That was their only album, so the next challenge for Soundgarden will be Gojira.
Tool slips past Blaze Bayley, who is done in the GMAC. Darkthrone is the next contender.
Rush thoroughly defeats Rush, with Moving Pictures crushing A Farewell to Kings. Next up is Carcass.

Back