Iced Earth

Sounds like his freedom is reaching the end. I hope he gets the full 3650 days of purgatory in a federal prison. Maybe he won’t be brainwashed any more after that much solitude. These weren’t nightmares after all, this was life and death.

I hadn't paid attention to iced earth after the glorious burden, on a whim I got dystopia and regretted it. Haven't bought anything iced earth related stuff since and it's f I list n to them it's usually horror show... No huge loss. Sad, but eh. I was much more hurt with iron maiden's alleged and proven cases of musical theft.

Joke all you want. As disappointing as it was to see schaeffer there it wasn't at all surprising.

137083966_10157478974175684_7702377656372987763_n.jpg

So after reading everyone's reactions on what happened and after thinking about it a little, I realized that Schaffer's turning into a terrorist would have very little (if not zero) effect on my appreciation of Iced Earth. I've never liked Schaffer as a person much in the first place and I seem to be capable of separating the human from the artist quite well, since I have been able to enjoy Megadeth and most of all *gasp* Pantera, despite finding Anselmo to be a complete prick.
I've never paid any money for Iced Earth products anyway because I come from the realm of pirating, lately Spotify (and YouTube), so whatever. Would I go to see them live? Probably, if that ever happened. I haven't seen them live, so I might as well do if I had the chance.

Having said that, I don't disagree with people who take a more extreme stance towards the band. However, the only way in which it affects me is that I might have to find someone else to go to the gig with. :D

I'm no fan of Iced Earth but if I was I could probably turn a blind eye to it, what he did was be part of an angry mob, I doubt he was a ringleader or anything. I can turn a blind eye to Dave Holland in Priest, although I concede it's a lot easier with him as a) he was in the band long before I got into priest, b) he wasn't a key memebr and c) he wa pretty much a hired gun, but his crime is worse than Schaffer's. Although I can probably see people now seeing meaning in some of Schaffer's "patriotic" lyrics that was probably just written off as "history" before.

It would have to be a Varg or Dissection level of crime for me to really question one of my absolute favourite bands, although I'd imagine if Schaffer was the ring leader of Anthrax or some band like that that I'm not a huge fan of I'd probably have an easier time of abandoning them.

I'm no fan of Iced Earth but if I was I could probably turn a blind eye to it, what he did was be part of an angry mob, I doubt he was a ringleader or anything. I can turn a blind eye to Dave Holland in Priest, although I concede it's a lot easier with him as a) he was in the band long before I got into priest, b) he wasn't a key memebr and c) he wa pretty much a hired gun, but his crime is worse than Schaffer's. Although I can probably see people now seeing meaning in some of Schaffer's "patriotic" lyrics that was probably just written off as "history" before.

It would have to be a Varg or Dissection level of crime for me to really question one of my absolute favourite bands, although I'd imagine if Schaffer was the ring leader of Anthrax or some band like that that I'm not a huge fan of I'd probably have an easier time of abandoning them.
re: Dave Holland, first and foremost A): his "crime" was a very, very shaky case.

Last edited:

Iced Earth, Dissection and Burzum are three wildly different situations for me.

With Iced Earth, I got into the band then progressively over the years found out how crazy Jon is.

With Dissection, I heard their music and liked it, but long after Jon died and when I already knew his whole case. He's long gone and while I won't buy Dissection merch as I don't like it that much, even if I did, it wouldn't go to Jon anyway.

With Burzum, I checked them out when I already knew how crazy Varg was and still is and thought it was garbage, and over the years he got even worse than he already was and I have no desire to ever listen to Burzum again.

Curious to see what this means for demons & wizards, as i dont think Hansi is taking this lightly

Burzum just aren't all that great :innocent: What I do find weird is the handful of Vargfans who seem to practically worship him as a person as opposed to just loving his music.

Interesting that the Blind Guardian camp felt compelled to make a statement. I wonder if Hansi Kürsch got a call from the FBI. And with that in mind, I also wonder if the police of Georgetown, Delaware is currently undergoing personnel revisions.

It’s weird seeing an Iced Earth statement from everyone but Jon. Or in other words, it’s weird that the statement was sent as from the band instead of individual members. It’d be like getting a statement of intent from Iron Maiden from Blaze Bayley and not Steve Harris because Steve Harris kicked a soccer(foot)ball through the windows of the Royal Palace.

It’s weird seeing an Iced Earth statement from everyone but Jon. Or in other words, it’s weird that the statement was sent as from the band instead of individual members. It’d be like getting a statement of intent from Iron Maiden from Blaze Bayley and not Steve Harris because Steve Harris kicked a soccer(foot)ball through the windows of the Royal Palace.

For all we know he's in custody and not allowed to make any public statement.

Back