Iced Earth

Unfollowed and forgotten about. Never really cared for his singing anyway.

Knick: I don't follow, why would that suggest Barlow took part in or supported this?

and Barlow is a cop, so I’d be real shocked if he wasn’t one of them as well.
It’s interesting because another friend of mine and I discussed this last night. He was actually under the assumption that Barlow was a moderate Democrat. I personally think he’s conservative, but I would hope he’s not in this sort of camp since everything I’ve seen of him has shown him to be a humble guy always willing to help his fans and the people he works with. But association with Schaffer... yeesh.

Didn't Barlow congratulate Biden following the election? Or something anyway.
This was all I found on Facebook. He’s stayed silent during the election.
5A015E3A-0FB2-4D20-8014-87C0596848A3.jpeg

EDIT: Also his blog from way back doesn’t mention politics at all. Just comic books and heavy metal.

Might have been what I was referring to. Still, Schaffer wouldn't have sent out any sympathies no matter what happened to Biden

There was another post by Stu asking people their opinions on what was happening last night. A few people said they knew Schaffer was there and the few posts I saw were quite critical.

Edit: from some of the stuff I've seen posted by Stu in the past, I got the impression he had Schaffer-of-centre political leanings. I was surprised to begin with.

Unfollowed and forgotten about. Never really cared for his singing anyway.

Knick: I don't follow, why would that suggest Barlow took part in or supported this?
Not saying I think Barlow would necessarily support this, but considering how long he spent in Camp Schaffer and the fact that he is a police officer leads me to believe he would be more on the side of the right.

Regardless, he seems level-headed and normal to me, so no worries. Moderates from either party are about the only people I can handle anymore.

Well, first of all, meme or not, indeed after I saw the photo, Watching Over My has been playing in my head throughout the day. I'm not even trying to be ironic or anything, just... thinking about stuff.

I mean, I never particularly liked JS, at least not for his music. I just can't get into IE in general, though there are songs here and there (the Something Wicked triptych, Inferno etc) that I genuinely like. On the other hand, I always kinda had a soft spot for him precisely because he was a right wing nut.

Now, don't get me wrong, my "conservatism" is really worlds apart from any type of American Conservatism in general and I wholeheartedly disagreed with most of his ideas, as little as I might have known them. But to be outwardly outspoken in a true minority way, especially in metal where most people are young and lefty and liberal and progressive (just look at this very forum), that was something I appreciated as a - at least - integrity and courage. Same with Megadave, actually.

And yes, I hate Alex Jones as much as I'm allowed to hate anyone.

But this... this really disappointed me. Like, the noble demon is not that noble anymore. I just wonder whether there's going to be any buyer's remorse further on down the road and whether he's gonna regret this - probably - spur-of-the-moment decision.

(also, I don't really think he is truly the violent type, I'd guess that he more or less came across the situation, yes, probably wanting to storm the Capitol, but I doubt even he himself knew it was going to escalate this much - from whatever limitations he has, I always found him to be possibly not as dumb - though I guess that many people would say that a right-wing conspiracy nut has to be dumb by design, but I digress)

And I pity him. Really. In a way. Maybe that's why the most emotionally charged IE song plays in my head.
Like, I know what it is to let yourself get drawn into the moment and do something wild and reckless and wicked... and suddenly realize nothing's the same anymore and that you crossed the line.

Doesn't everyone?

Don't know, it kinda fascinates me as a situation... and paradoxically makes me want to really go and listen to the music more (on Spotify, I won't be really buying that).
Much like being fascinated by the history probably made people listen to the Mayhem songs, because there's really no other reason, because it sounds like shit (sorry, Magnus)

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."

Last edited:
Jon Schaffer has made it to the biggest national newspaper here, pretty sure for the first time ever.
I was never a fan of Iced Earth or power metal in general, but I've had similar experiences with other musicians, so I understand the disappointment of their fans.

I refuse to let an artist's political beliefs taint my enjoyment of the music they've made (or will make). For example, Ted Nugent is absolutely nuts, but that doesn't stop Stranglehold from being a kick ass tune.

It really shouldn't be that bizarre to see Schaffer amongst those people in Washington, as he's never hidden his political beliefs. Still, unless he's actually wielding weapons and causing harm to innocents, I'll still listen to Iced Earth. While they haven't released much that's worthwhile for some time now, they have some classics that I refuse to let Jon's current actions sour.

How long until we can fully rewrite the lyrics to The Gettysburg Trilogy from Schaffer’s point of view while storming the capitol?
Should be easy

‘Twas January 2021
A nation in turmoil, the end has begun
Election frauds all around
D.C. is now our battle ground
Come high noon, we will descend
We’ll bring the liberals to their end
The Capitol is ours today
Hold the reb flag high — cuz there’s a devil to pay!

Jon Schaffer has made it to the biggest national newspaper here, pretty sure for the first time ever.
I was never a fan of Iced Earth or power metal in general, but I've had similar experiences with other musicians, so I understand the disappointment of their fans.
Here too.

Does anyone here think, given Schaffer's inability to keep people in his band for more than a few years at a time, that Stu would have his job for over a decade now without at the very least tolerating some of Schaffer's extreme views?
Tolerating, no. Selling, yes.

Schaffer's beliefs already did sour the music.

Back