Gates of Tomorrow

How good is Gates of Tomorrow on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
This song is underrated. Nice intro, great riff, good verses, awesome pre-chorus and the chorus great. Crazy fast solo from Janick. Awesome harmonies through the whole song. I quite like that song. 8/10

Last edited:
This song is underrated. Nice intro, great riff, good verses, awesome pre-chorus and the chorus great. Crazy fast solo from Janick. Awesome harmonies through the whole song. I quite like that song. 8/10

agreed on all points - I even went a little higher and granted it a 9. Its not a full blown epic or amazing blast of short rocking energy (my 2 criteria for 10's) but there's really no part that's lackluster and every part fits well into the next. Instrumental section is fantastic - some of the harmonies and progressions remind me a bit of the style that Maiden would play in on Flash of the Blade and The Duellists, though I can't draw a clear line to either song (similar vibe though).

I was surprised how much enjoyed this one.

9/10

with recent reviews skewing towards 8, 9 and 10 ratings for Gates of Tomorrow, could be we state for the record that Gates is not only an underrated song but also a hidden gem in Maiden's catalog?

Hopefully the old time "conventional wisdom" about the Dance of Death album being a "Dance of Fillers" may be laid to rest as the DoD album ages like fine wine

with recent reviews skewing towards 8, 9 and 10 ratings for Gates of Tomorrow, could be we state for the record that Gates is not only an underrated song but also a hidden gem in Maiden's catalog?
Those verse harmonies will always sound like shit no matter how long they’re allowed to age. But the rest of the song is quite good.

There's a Harris/McBrain moment in this song. Just this fill alone

is worth 9/10 points. And they record that shit live.

I love the guitar solo on this one - it actually makes me catch my breath. One of those musical moments that makes me forget my problems for a moment and feel happy and excited about life again.
I love the quotes in your signature. That is one thing that I have always loved about Janick. He has his own style and he is proud of it. He doesn't try to change it for anyone. The instrumental section shows off his style-a balance between an excellent sense of melody and craziness! Love it!

According to Dickinson
, the deliberately enigmatic verses
deal with the search for truth in a web of lies and
delusion, in which the individual is consumed without realizing that the truth
is inside him.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Back