GREATEST METAL ALBUM CUP - Winner: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son!

I’m gonna go through some of In Utero, because honestly Liebe is Rammstein’s worst album and I would be fine with voting against it.

Symphony X opens with a wide lead but Accept could easily run away with this.

Divine Wings of Tragedy is an incredible album. It's dynamic, powerful, epic, and super catchy (as you can tell by the featured song). It's somewhat low budget sounding, but the instruments are still crystal clear and the playing is incredible. I'm a sucker for the epics: The Accolade and the title track are some of the most epic and melodic prog metal tunes you'll ever hear.

That said, when this album rocks, it rocks hard. The one thing that separates this band from similar groups, such as Dream Theater, is they can write really punchy quick Metal songs with great riffing. Of Sins and Shadows, Sea of Lies, and Out of the Ashes all pack huge punches in under 5 minutes. Great well rounded album.

Skyclad was really nice. Danzig wasn't too bad either.

This AC/DC wasn't the worst kind. Opeth sounded just like Opeth. I decided to vote against AC/DC, as in general I don't like them.

I decline to listen to Rammstein voluntarily. Brings back unpleasant memories from the first time I heard their music and ugly flashbacks to a cold sauna, 4AM, and the smell of vomit. Got to know their oppressive style too well later on, because one of my exes listened to this stuff. So, this might have been a great song, but I'll never know. Nirvana's Milk It, on the other hand, really rocks.

Symphony X was a lot of fun. Accept was ok as well, although I was surprised how soon the song ended.

Also, MindRuler might be interested to know my Metal Album Cup notebook got full, and I now have a new one. It's a fancy one, bought in Croatia if memory serves me right.

I have never heard of Skyclad before. The sample was nothing at like the artwork led me to expect and decidly non-metallic. It had the Celt-folk sound and pub-style vocals reminiscent of the heavier moments from one of my favourite non-metal acts, the Vancouver-based Spirit of the West. I absolutely loved it and want to hear more.

Does anyone else hear Bowie’s Putting out Fire With Gasoline in that Danzig song? I‘d say Danzig falls into my secondary musical comfort zone: simple, muscular heavy rock, although I’d prefer The Cult as far as that style goes. I’d have no problem listening to more, but it doesn’t excite me near as much as the Skyclad song did.

Reactions: Jer
Skyclad - A band I like a lot but don't have a lot of material from, only Silent Whales of Lunar Sea and a double cd compilation of all the albums up to Silent Whales. So I'm not familiar with this album, but this sounds great and is produced a bit more commercial and polished than the stuff I'm familiar with, particularly the vocal. Definitely going to check the whole of this album out off the strength of that track, buying it most likely, and even checking the other two albums between it and the material I'm familiar with.

Danzig - opinion given a few times.

Danzig with the win, an unfortunate tie for Skyclad, but I'd be voting for the first Danzig even ahead of the Skyclad stuff I'm more familiar with, but not by very much it has to be said.

AC/DC - Third best album from the Brian Johnson era, Rising Power, the title track, Landslide, Guns for Hire, Bedlam in Belgium or Brainshake are all tracks that if I was at a gig and they busted them out I'd go nuts.

Opeth - had a listen to this track after the last round because someone posted it in the thread, same idea as the previous track that had been in the game, stick loads of disparate sections together into a big long song a la Satan's Fall/Halloween as I said for the previous song. Which if you do that too often makes it sound like the whole thing is just slapped together. Vocal is bad. Rip off of Hey You from Pink Floyd at around the 6 minute mark so maybe this album doesn't even count as metal :lol:

AC/DC with the win

Rammstein - Too overproduced for my tastes

Nirvana - opinion given a few times

Rammstein with the win

Symphony X - another one of these bands that I've only been aware of from people mentioning them on forums, opening section is promising reminds me of Prong of all bands, but the power metal vocal snaps me out of it

Accept - not bad but we've heard this kind of thing a million times before, ends quite abruptly, is this an edit?

Accept with the win, don't care too much for either, but I'll decide in favour of Accept, a charity vote as I like their earlier stuff.

I've been meaning to get into Skyclad for awhile. The vocals are a little iffy, but The Answer Machine? was a lot of fun, thanks for nominating it @Jer!
Opeth is interesting. I don't know that I like it, but it's interesting. Really enjoy some of the guitar work, even if some of it is a little off. You can tell it's a first album, for sure, but it's got quality. Whereas AC/DC's 1983 version of their one album is one of their least interesting.
Rammstein. Nirvana remains not for me.
Symphony X in a walk for this guy. My review of the album is here, but I'll post a few choice bits:

1. Of Sins and Shadows - Here we go. Here we fucking go. An absolute cracker of an opening track.... Killer dueling guitar-keyboard solos. And the chorus soars, an apex of rapid, fierce progressive rock. 10/10.*
4. The Accolade - ...This is an aggressive progressive metal piece, designed to challenge the listener and either convince them that Symphony X is the band they want, or to force them to reject this style of music and go back to AC/DC and Kiss for hard rock simplicity. The break at 7:34, where bells ring in, we get what sounds like a lute? That would have made a song on the first two Symphony X albums sound ludicrous. Here, it's masterful and this band is only 3 years older than the first album. ...10/10*
8. The Divine Wings of Tragedy ...This one goes to 11/10.*

Opeth is so good. The combination of power, drama and melody is unmatched by few bands outside Maiden and the depth of creativity and craftsmanship is first-rate. Really one of the only bands to ever force me to overlook my distaste for extreme singing.

I am voting for AC/DC simply because I think they will get smoked and I want to throw them a bone. As I said in my previous post, I have a weakness for sweaty pub rock and nobody does that better. Malcolm Young is king of catchy riffing and Phil Rudd has no peer in this style of bedrock drumming. Flick of the Switch lacks highest highs but it is no frills kickass rock from start to finish.

the power metal vocal snaps me out of it
Sorry, I don’t really understand this. Russell Allen has one of the most atypical power metal voices, in that he’s not trying to go all high with his voice, but rather utilizes a lower rumble that will knock you off your feet. I would say — on this album definitely — that he sounds more like Dio than anyone else, but with his own special flair that sets him apart and, to be honest, I prefer him over Dio. He’s a terrific singer.

I find a lot of how Rammstein presents itself as cringey but there is no denying that track is smooth and glossy without ever not feeling heavy, or straying too far into pop. It goes down real easy.

The In Utero song is much more raw and has way more edge, but not quite as fun or catchy. It’s pointed more in a direction I like, and if you asked me which band I liked better, I definitely prefer Nirvana. But this song doesn’t quite hit the target, so I’m going with Rammstein in a close vot.

Skyclad - A band I like a lot but don't have a lot of material from, only Silent Whales of Lunar Sea and a double cd compilation of all the albums up to Silent Whales. Definitely going to check the whole of this album out off the strength of that track, buying it most likely, and even checking the other two albums between it and the material I'm familiar with.
The Silent Whales Of Lunar Sea was actually the first Skyclad album I tried, and I wasn’t totally sold at the time. The ones that come after are much more to my taste. If you like the lighter approach on The Answer Machine?, then try Oui Avant-Garde A Chance, the maxi-EP done in a similar style. If you want it a little heavier, Folkémon is a great choice, as are Irrational Anthems and Prince Of The Poverty Line.

If you go earlier than Silent Whales it gets a bit rougher and more like Sabbat. If you delve into the post-Walkyier period (after Folkémon) then the music is still great and the singing is better, but the lyrics take a nosedive.

Sorry, I don’t really understand this. Russell Allen has one of the most atypical power metal voices, in that he’s not trying to go all high with his voice, but rather utilizes a lower rumble that will knock you off your feet. I would say — on this album definitely — that he sounds more like Dio than anyone else, but with his own special flair that sets him apart and, to be honest, I prefer him over Dio. He’s a terrific singer.

It all just sounds like power metal to me, I honestly can't tell good from bad, I'm sure fans can in the same way that I can tell Flick of the Switch is a lot better than most other Brian Johnson era albums whereas non AC/DC fans just say it's the same album all over.

The Silent Whales Of Lunar Sea was actually the first Skyclad album I tried, and I wasn’t totally sold at the time. The ones that come after are much more to my taste.

That's a coincidence, you didn't post on the official Maiden forum about 15 years did you?

I like both bands in the fourth matchup, but I know Accept much better and probably prefer their sound.
But this matchup forced me to go deeper into the actual albumS, and there is no doubt the Symphony X collection has way more depth. Symphony X pretty easily, an album that I have to give a serious look.

Interesting round overall for me.

Back