Mastodon

Lucky bastards attending Graspop on June 18th will also have the chance to see Mastodon. They aren't a festival band at all but they always propose interesting setlists.

Some information about the next album. I'm happy to know Troy is getting more involved: he was definetely the weakest link on recent album and tours.

No mention of Brent (who used to write the best stuff)...

Finally some new Mastodon!

New song on friday (great riff) https://lightthetorch.mastodonrocks.com/

and a compilation of "rarities" in September.

Mastodon have announced the Medium Rarities compilation. Here is the track listing. 'Fallen Torches' is the only new song here. 'Fallen Torches' was okay. I suppose I will like it more with more listens. The riff at the end was awesome, but wtf was that mix?

01 – “Fallen Torches
02 – “A Commotion” (Feist cover)
03 – “Asleep In The Deep” (instrumental)
04 – “Capillarian Crest” (live)
05 – “A Spoonful Weighs A Ton” (The Flaming Lips cover)
06 – “Toe To Toes” (instrumental)
07 – “Circle Of Cysquatch” (live)
08 – “Atlanta” (feat. Gibby Haynes) (Adult Swim track)
09 – “Jaguar God” (instrumental)
10 – “Cut You Up With A Linoleum Knife” (Adult Swim track)
11 – “Blood & Thunder” (live)
12 – “White Walker” (from Game of Thrones)
13 – “Halloween” (instrumental)
14 – “Crystal Skull” (live)
15 – “Orion” (Metallica cover)
16 – “Iron Tusk” (live)

The new song is great and the tracklist of the upcoming compilation is very promising, there will be a lot to dig in for die-hard fans. To me, Mastodon is the most interesting metal band.

However, I think that everything beside music has been a complete mess in the Mastodon camp during the last couple of years. Communication in general, announcements, everything is all over the place and conveys an impression of amateurism.

The cancer and death of their long-time manager didn't help I think.
I must admit that I'm a bit suprised by the way they tend to do things thses years. Emperor of Sand was mainly written by Bill, and Brent said they would record his own ideas. They then released Cold Dark Place, which is rather mlediocre by their standarts. And now again, this strange object. The new song is great, and way better than most of Emperor of Sand's. , but I'd like them to concentrate on the album and be more a band.

A very pleasant tune on the first listen. I dig the energy.

The doomy part with Scott Kelly, the chorus, the main riff. Great, great tune.
Let's hope for a European tour next year on support of a new studio album. Very likely I I think, as they have confirmed Download on June 5th.

Back