Queensryche & Geoff Tate

Both Tate and Toddsrÿche are doing better things on their own than they were doing together for a very long time. This musical divorce was a good idea that’s been working well for everyone. Why mess it up?

Besides, Todd sounds better than Tate has in years:

Tate should stick to his own thing. Isn’t that “wot we do“...?

I went down to Gothenburg last weekend to catch Tate performing Rage for Order and Empire in their entirety and original running order. The club they were playing was packed - I was expecting a smaller turnout. The support band, "Captain Black Beard" was very good and one of the few times I've enjoyed an opening act I'd never heard of.

Now, the Geoff Tate band basically consisted of his friend Mark Daly's band, but with a flown in drummer, as the previous guy had run into health issues and the replacement drummer had apparently learned the set in two days. He had never heard Tate's music before.

This was the opening night of the tour and the backing band pulled it off rather well, with a couple of hickups during two song endings. Other than that, a good performance. Tate himself sang well and went for a couple of pretty damn high notes during the Rage For Order material. His timbre is a bit nasal and worn these days, but I think it's pretty understandable after 35+ years of touring (and the fact that according to Ken Tamplin early bridging singing, which is the basis for Tate's vocals, is hard to maintain over a long period of time). There was some unfortunate off key singing during the first section of Is Anybody Listening, which was a bit painful, but other than that Tate held his own. They finished off with Eyes of A Stranger as encore. They are playing a city near me on the 15th of February but unfortunately it's the same night as Sabaton is playing Stockholm.

Edit: Found this gem while browsing Youtube. This vid from 2008 is the most 90's sounding I've heard Tate in the last 20 years. Just about identical to the studio version. While the ongoing tour is Tate in good form (relatively), it doesn't come near this.

Last edited:
Queen Of The Reich covers. The first one is amazing, the second is...hmm...well...very good musically but the vocals are cringeworthy at best.

I went down to Gothenburg last weekend to catch Tate performing Rage for Order and Empire in their entirety and original running order.

How the fuck did I miss this? I would have loved to gone there too!

He even reaches the high note at the end!
And sounds great while doing it. Now he just needs to get his lower and mid timbre back (and try harder at singing the low stuff in key). He sounds better singing Rage songs than he does with the Empire stuff.

I only read the vest comments on that site. And Geoff Tate really is the vest of the vest. I’m sure he does the “Vest He Can“ when singing Empire songs. No one can vest his vocals.
We have to investigate all your comments about Tate, Jer.

Reactions: Jer
So. Geoff is flying his band over for a special Acoustic live stream (obviously paid, as there are costs incurred through flights etc). Tickets are cheap (15 Euros or so) and you have the option of watching it up to 48 hours later as well.

So. Geoff is flying his band over for a special Acoustic live stream (obviously paid, as there are costs incurred through flights etc). Tickets are cheap (15 Euros or so) and you have the option of watching it up to 48 hours later as well.

Anyone payed to watch Tate?
was The Vest at his best?

Anyone payed to watch Tate?
was The Vest at his best?
Oh, I did, as did 580 others too , so they generated around 12 000 dollars in tickets (and then unknown amount of tip money). More small artists should do this.

The show was good. Basically the Acoustic Storytelling tour minus three songs, so nothing I haven't heard before. But it was nice to hear some live music in some shape anyway. The mix was just about OK though, very muddy, lot's of low mids and little top end. The instruments were well balanced to eachother though, so nothing a bit of processing in Pro Tools couldn't fix afterwards though.

Last edited:
Back