Megadeth

It's about the making of Rust in Piece. That was one thing about his autobiography that annoyed me, he seemed to just skip over the biggest albums of his career. He talked more about Metallica than Rust in Piece.

@Jer
@srfc
@SixesAlltheway

Continuing the conversation started on Now Playing thread:

I saw Megadeth live on SFSOSW tour opening for Dio on Dream Evil tour. I was expecting them to open with Into the Lungs of Hell straight into Set the World Afire. However they didn't play either song and opened with Wake Up Dead instead.

After researching their years of touring, looks like they play ITLOH some nights and STWA on other nights but not together like on the lp. I don't understand why.

I definitely like the original mix better without keyboards. I actually prefer the lead guitar production better on SFSGSW than Rust in Peace. Reason is SFSGSW has better clear channel separation (Jeff in left and Dave in the right) so easier to tell who is playing the solo vs RIP.

Yep. I nominated SFSGSW for the GMAC, and I’m going to make it very clear that it’s the original soupy mix that I nominated, not the dry remix. Some people hate the way it sounds, but for me it’s a critical part of the mood of the album, and one of the things that makes it unique in their catalog.

As for playing the songs back to back, I agree that would have been a natural choice, and it’s weird that they didn’t do it.

I only saw Megadeth live twice — once in a dive bar near the beginning of the RIP tour, which was insane to see from 10 feet away with everyone at the top of their game; and once on the Countdown tour in an arena, which was a short, sad, lazy set that was so offputting that I never bothered to see them live again. Though Stone Temple Pilots opened for them on the later tour, and it was funny to see the audience boo and make fun of them while Scott Weiland pathetically threatened to kick everyone’s ass.

I'd be nervous that the lyrics are all going to be about how Covid is a new world order hoax.

First, I don't trust snippets anymore and I really can't hear much from this. Second, I hope he changes the title because it sounds dumb. Third, I guess this will be more about his battle with cancer than COVID hoax. If Mustaine loves something more than spouting about conspiracy theories, it's himself.

@Jer
@srfc
@SixesAlltheway

I saw Megadeth live on SFSOSW tour opening for Dio on Dream Evil tour. I was expecting them to open with Into the Lungs of Hell straight into Set the World Afire. However they didn't play either song and opened with Wake Up Dead instead.

After researching their years of touring, looks like they play ITLOH some nights and STWA on other nights but not together like on the lp. I don't understand why.

I definitely like the original mix better without keyboards. I actually prefer the lead guitar production better on SFSGSW than Rust in Peace. Reason is SFSGSW has better clear channel separation (Jeff in left and Dave in the right) so easier to tell who is playing the solo vs RIP.

I wasn't into metal when SFSGSW was out and only discovered Megadeth when Countdown was the new album. Didn't really get into them straight away and took years to pick up the back catalogue albums as I wasn't that interested in the late 90's stuff at the time it was out, so as a consequence I hadn't listened to the original mix too much when the remaster came out. I heard people say the remaster was decent so I picked that up and really got into the album from then, and that's the version I've only ever really listened to. I might give the original mix a listen again sometime to see if my opinion has changed since back in the day.

I think I saw them do Set the World Afire on the tour for The System has Failed. It really should be in the set, the main riff is probably their second best riff after than the one at the 3 min mark in The Conjuring.

@Jer
@srfc
@SixesAlltheway

Just like @srfc the first album I heard was Countdown (on casette tape even) and then gradually got to know the back catalog. I think SFSGSW is my least favourite production on the classic Deth' albums - but like @Jer said, it somehow oddly fits the nuclear holocaust lyrics within and the grittiness of the album cover of the heavily combat geared soldier Vic amidst destruction and ruin.

As for the remasters in general I don't mind them, but Rust in Peace also sounds way better on the original and I don't like how Mustaine has re-done certain parts.

Last edited:
We finally have a [tentative] title for the new album: The Sick, The Dying, And The Dead.

Honestly, and realizing that the title is subject to change, that’s a kickass title and it makes me even more excited for the album.

I hope it stays a working title and that they come uo with a better name for the album. But if it's a working title for the collection of songs they have I wonder what kind of mood/theme this album might have. Seems bleak :D

First, I don't trust snippets anymore and I really can't hear much from this. Second, I hope he changes the title because it sounds dumb. Third, I guess this will be more about his battle with cancer than COVID hoax. If Mustaine loves something more than spouting about conspiracy theories, it's himself.
My thoughts exactly. I actually think the album will be stronger if it’s about his personal experiences with cancer. We’re going to get an avalanche of albums, movies, and books about covid and I’m going to guess that none of them will be any good.

That said, a global pandemic is a pretty good topic for a Megadeth song.

Back