What Car do you drive?

That's the only thing that puts me off, actually. Car drivers are horribly inconsiderate of bikers and scooter riders. (And pedestrians. And horse riders. And cyclists).

What are horses doing on the road?
Can't speak for other countries, but I see them regularly here in Mexico, even on the highway. I've also been witness to 15 goats take over a surface street akin to a peaceful protest. They were completely unattended btw.

I took that as an 'only cars should be on roads' jibe!

If it's a genuine question: riders have no choice but to go on the roads in a lot of places, even if only to get to a more suitable place to go hacking/trail riding. There are often no or only narrow verges, few bridle paths, restrictions riding on protected natural landscape, fenced-off private land, and only a small percentage of riders actually own or rent land they can ride on, other than small arenas they can hire on stable yards. Drivers who aren't riders or farmy types naturally hate this and there are a good many accidents.

I absolutely adore driving. It's a cliché, but it truly gives you a feeling of freedom and being carefree. Driving along a largely empty road, with the windows down and metal blasting from the speakers - not many things can compare. :D And it doesn't matter if I drive my own car or a rental car - I like 'em all. I have heard the phrase "born with a trucker's mentality" and this could apply to me too, I guess.
Having said that, I'm also quite likely to roadrage in traffic. It's not that I'm an aggressive driver, but I will rant about undisciplined bikers, pedestrians, horses and yes, other drivers, too. I tend to speed, but not by much, so I might be a bit aggressive, I don't know. But I know my limits and those of the car I drive, so it's safe. Oh, and I take care of the maintainance of my own car. As much as I can, that is.

Road rage: I often wish other drivers to die a painful death along with their whole family when I'm even slightly inconvenienced in traffic. I also like driving next to and getting a good gander at anyone whose slighted me on the road to see what they look like. No matter what they look like, they always look exactly as what I expected. But I don't do rage-driving. I just yell safely inside my vehicle.

Road rage: I often wish other drivers to die a painful death along with their whole family when I'm even slightly inconvenienced in traffic. I also like driving next to and getting a good gander at anyone whose slighted me on the road to see what they look like. No matter what they look like, they always look exactly as what I expected. But I don't do rage-driving. I just yell safely inside my vehicle.
Perfectly summed up. Thank you.

I don't feel that freedom. Too many idiots around for you to chill in traffic. Traffic kills more people here than disease. Every year we have dead pedestrians in the city who were just doing what they're supposed to.

I took that as an 'only cars should be on roads' jibe!

If it's a genuine question: riders have no choice but to go on the roads in a lot of places, even if only to get to a more suitable place to go hacking/trail riding. There are often no or only narrow verges, few bridle paths, restrictions riding on protected natural landscape, fenced-off private land, and only a small percentage of riders actually own or rent land they can ride on, other than small arenas they can hire on stable yards. Drivers who aren't riders or farmy types naturally hate this and there are a good many accidents.

It was a genuine question, the only time I've seen horses are when I'm out jogging on the hill (and it's a very rare occurrence)

On a slightly separate note, it does rather irritate me when cyclists or pedestrians appear not to possess any spatial awareness, and thus position themselves in such a way as to inconvenience those of us on four wheels for longer than is strictly necessary - the stripy paint on the road doesn't exempt you from the laws of physics

Can't speak for other countries, but I see them regularly here in Mexico, even on the highway. I've also been witness to 15 goats take over a surface street akin to a peaceful protest. They were completely unattended btw.

I wonder what goats protest about

I don't feel that freedom. Too many idiots around for you to chill in traffic. Traffic kills more people here than disease. Every year we have dead pedestrians in the city who were just doing what they're supposed to.
Yup, no matter what country I'm in I never assume drivers will give me right of way as a pedestrian just because the law says so.

I wonder what goats protest about

No clue, but just.... Surreal. Guadalajara is a city of 4M people or so. They're inhabitants insist it's a city, I like to point out it isn't. Protesting goats, horses on freeways, a subway with only two lines and everything closing at 10pm are not urban hallmarks. Oh they're also the only city I know of that have traffic lights on the freeway.

I have an Toyota Avensis 2007 2.0 station wagon car. Very happy with it!

I’ve had a couple of Toyota Corolla and VW Passat before, the Passat ended up beig totally wrecked one day..
Still driving the Avensis occationally, but bought a Nissan Leaf 2017 about a year ago. It’s fantastic car to drive, will probably never go back to fossile car again..

I've been driving a 2020 Hyundai Kona for a little bit now. It goes vroom and is decent in the snow and good on fuel, so it makes me quite happy. I'd have bought electric but there's no real way to charge where I live.

Back