Bruce Dickinson

I think I could like Skunkworks musically, but something about the sound of that album just hurts my ears, and I can't listen to it. It's hard to explain; something about the mix is harsh. Just curious if anyone else hears anything like that?

I think I could like Skunkworks musically, but something about the sound of that album just hurts my ears, and I can't listen to it. It's hard to explain; something about the mix is harsh. Just curious if anyone else hears anything like that?
Do you have the original album or the 2005 reissue?
I have the original and don't have problems with the mix or sound of the album.

It's a good record. Sounds good production wise too, but it is definitely a bit fatiguing.

Last edited:
I haven't heard Skunkworks and Tattoed Millionaire.
I think Tattooed Millionaire is one of his best. But it’s a whole different thing from the Roy Z albums.

Here’s my top 4:
1) The Chemical Wedding
2) Accident of Birth
3) Tyranny of Souls
4) Balls to Picasso

I won’t put neither Skunkworks nor Tattooed in it. As I said, Tattooed is totally different, and so is Skunkworks.

For me it's

6. Tattooed Millionaire
5. Balls To Picasso
4. Skunkworks (I actually like this album quite a bit more than Balls.)
3. Tyranny Of Souls
2. Accident Of Birth
1. Chemical Wedding

I love the last 3 a LOT more than Skunkworks.

Well... my ranking is:
1- Chemical Wedding
2- Accident of Birth
3- Tyranny of Souls
4- Balls To Picasso
5- Skunkworks
6- Tattooed Millionaire

I like Skunkworks very much. I also like guitar work Dickson did with him, the band is great and I love their Alive performances and their takes on the Tattooed Millionaire tracks.

Alex Dickson's guitar performance on Skunkworks is, simply put, majestic. Meltdown is probably the best example. Also, there are moments on Alive when the guy plays rhythms and solos simultaneously.

I love Skunkworks, although a part of my love comes from nostalgy (listening to it on repeat while playing Cannon Fodder). The worst songs on the album really aren't that good, but there are a lot of gems there as well. I would even say that Back From the Edge is quite possibly the best Bruce song of all time.

I have only been exposed to Tattooed Millionaire at this stage

That's kinda cool. I mean, you got the whole, amazing bunch of albums to discover... :) Especially AoB-TCW-ToS and I'd praise Skunkworks too, but that does divide opinions a little bit more.

Anyway, strong recommendations... as if it wasn't obvious already. :D

Alex Dickson's guitar performance on Skunkworks is, simply put, majestic. Meltdown is probably the best example. Also, there are moments on Alive when the guy plays rhythms and solos simultaneously.

I love Skunkworks, although a part of my love comes from nostalgy (listening to it on repeat while playing Cannon Fodder). The worst songs on the album really aren't that good, but there are a lot of gems there as well. I would even say that Back From the Edge is quite possibly the best Bruce song of all time.
He’s a great guitar player. Bruce says in his autobiography that he considers him to be one of the most talented musicians he’s ever worked with.

I was wondering who else likes the Skunkworks album? It's often overlooked and overshadowed by his "return to metal" albums Accident Of Birth and The Chemical Wedding but I think the alternative sound of Skunkworks fit Bruce's voice of that period very well. Especially in songs like Inside The Machine or The Smashing Pumpkins-sounding Octavia.
Skunkworks is my favorite solo album from Bruce. I like CW and others but this is unique enough to take #1 for me.

Back