BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I’d say two. Alex Lifeson is great and perfect for Rush and incredibly inventive, but he does not stack up to the likes of Petrucci or others in his weight class.

I will defer to the actual players on this site, but think this is entirely fair. For all his skill, I don’t consider Alex a virtuoso.
But I do think he is woefully under appreciaTed for both the “incredibly inventive“ aspect and his ability to use his instrument in service of the song.

To default to a sports analogy, Alex is an elite teammate, which matters in a band more than many give it credit for.

There's only a couple rock guitarists than that compete with Lifeson. Not more than five, I'd say. His lead playing is good, but texture is where he excels at. Lead playing is flashy so it gets more praise, but being good at creating textures takes a level of creativity that many skilled guitarists don't have.

There's only a couple rock guitarists than that compete with Lifeson. Not more than five, I'd say. His lead playing is good, but texture is where he excels at. Lead playing is flashy so it gets more praise, but being good at creating textures takes a level of creativity that many skilled guitarists don't have.

Dunno, but Andy Summers, Robert Smith, Dave Gilmour, Andrew Latimer or Steve Rothery come to mind and that’s without actually stopping to think about that because we’re watching a movie and I’m writing this on the sly...

EDIT: Adrian Belew...

Dunno, but Andy Summers, Robert Smith, Dave Gilmour, Andrew Latimer or Steve Rothery come to mind and that’s without actually stopping to think about that because we’re watching a movie and I’m writing this on the sly...

EDIT: Adrian Belew...

David Gilmour is the only one out of that group that could compete with Lifeson for me. Though I'm very partial towards Andrew Latimer as well.

Steve Rothery and Andy Summers are definitely up there. They both possess a similar sense of tone and melody that Lifeson has as well. Not to mention the use of more unique chord voicings in rock music.

Steve Rothery and Andy Summers are definitely up there. They both possess a similar sense of tone and melody that Lifeson has as well. Not to mention the use of more unique chord voicings in rock music.

They don't have the body of work Lifeson does. For me, at least.

Back