IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Rightfully so ... IMO none of those albums are as good as AMOLAD. Now when these 3 juggernauts join the lot that's a different case...

Exactly. Voting is easy when you have an album with 2 truly amazing songs like DOD. But when it comes to AMLOAD or Powerslave-SIT run... Man...

For example, between SIT and SSOASS, I only had 3 songs that I would be voting for sure... CIPWM and Prophecy from SSOASS (Despite they are better than pretty much everything from NPFTD and FOTD, but are unlucky to be on such a great album) and HCW.

I honestly don’t get why the Invaders chorus is pretty much universally disliked but I am one of the few who dislikes the Moonchild chorus. They’ve got a lot in common.

Last edited:
For example, between SIT and SSOASS, I only had 3 songs that I would be voting for sure... CIPWM and Prophecy from SSOASS (Despite they are better than pretty much everything from NPFTD and FOTD,
The Prophecy is one of my favorite Maiden tunes and love CIPWM. Man there's simply not a single song from those 3 album stretch that I rank below great. As for Powerslave my choice was made: no matter how much I love the other 5 tracks (and I surely do a lot) Aces High, Powerslave and Rime Of The Ancient Mariner was always going to be my trio no matter what. As for the other two I knew from the get go that I would never vote against Wasted Years, Loneliness, Infinite Dreams and The Prophecy. Other than that I had some biases regarding personal taste but in all honesty I forced myself to kinda "nitpick" on some minor aspects to untie the rest of the tracks. Like how The Evil That Man Do sound and The Clairvoyant sound a bit overplayed despite being top notch, how Alexander The Great has ultra passive narrative lyrical dimension, How Deja Vu's chorus a bit disruptive (once again despite both being excellent songs). I had to grasp for every single little detail to make up my mind: that's how amazing those 2 albums and all the songs on them truly are.

I honestly don’t get why the Invaders course is pretty much universally disliked but I am one of the few who dislikes the Moonchild chorus. They’ve got a lot in common.

I get the comparison, the songtitle being shouted loudly, followed by a relatively quieter phrase - repeated in a X-Y-X-Y-X-Y-X-Y format.

The difference is quite large though. The random high note in Invaders (inVAAAAAders) is really bad, and they repeat just one word (pillaging etc.) as if it's just a throw away there. The guitar melody between the two parts is annoyingly happy sounding as well.

I get the comparison, the songtitle being shouted loudly, followed by a relatively quieter phrase - repeated in a X-Y-X-Y-X-Y-X-Y format.

The difference is quite large though. The random high note in Invaders (inVAAAAAders) is really bad, and they repeat just one word (pillaging etc.) as if it's just a throw away there. The guitar melody between the two parts is annoyingly happy sounding as well.
Plus Moonchild has amazing instrumental work going on the whole time.

The fillerslave trope is pretty silly and seems to reinforce the idea that popular opinion is sometimes shaped by the band's live activities in positive and negative ways. Powerslave is an excellent album and probably the band's most consistent. It tends to be the one I recommend the most to new fans. It's a great starting point. You really enjoy Aces High and Two Minutes to Midnight? Great, work your way backwards and check out Piece of Mind next. The prog and instrumental intricacies of Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Flash Of the Blade blew your mind? Somewhere in Time next.

It is true that the album is bookended by some of the band's most renown tracks and other albums aren't quite structured that way, but the material in the middle has a lot to offer. Flash Of the Blade is an amazing song. Love the guitar harmonies and I would have liked to hear this song played by the current lineup. The Duellists and Back In the Village have some flaws but are overall enjoyable. Losfer Words is probably my favorite Maiden instrumental. Dare I say underrated.

That being said, it's obvious to me which songs deserve promotion. Rime, Powerslave, and Two Minutes are the 10/10 songs on the album and are all top ten worthy. 2 Minutes is probably the pinnacle of Maiden rockers. Great riffing, awesome chorus, love the halftime breakdowns, two fantastic guitar solos, excellent lyrics from Bruce. It's all there. Not much has to be said about Rime or Powerslave.

The one song I really go against popular opinion on is Aces High. I feel @mckindog 's criticisms of Moonchild better apply to Aces High. No real melodic hooks, not the most inspiring riffs (although the solos are great). It serves the purpose to start the live show with high energy, but not much more. Where Eagles Dare, Moonchild, and The Wicker Man all do these things while also being great songs on their own. I don't have much use for Aces High other than functioning as an opener to get people pumped.

The fillerslave trope is pretty silly and seems to reinforce the idea that popular opinion is sometimes shaped by the band's live activities in positive and negative ways. Powerslave is an excellent album and probably the band's most consistent. It tends to be the one I recommend the most to new fans. It's a great starting point. You really enjoy Aces High and Two Minutes to Midnight? Great, work your way backwards and check out Piece of Mind next. The prog and instrumental intricacies of Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Flash Of the Blade blew your mind? Somewhere in Time next.

It is true that the album is bookended by some of the band's most renown tracks and other albums aren't quite structured that way, but the material in the middle has a lot to offer. Flash Of the Blade is an amazing song. Love the guitar harmonies and I would have liked to hear this song played by the current lineup. The Duellists and Back In the Village have some flaws but are overall enjoyable. Losfer Words is probably my favorite Maiden instrumental. Dare I say underrated.

That being said, it's obvious to me which songs deserve promotion. Rime, Powerslave, and Two Minutes are the 10/10 songs on the album and are all top ten worthy. 2 Minutes is probably the pinnacle of Maiden rockers. Great riffing, awesome chorus, love the halftime breakdowns, two fantastic guitar solos, excellent lyrics from Bruce. It's all there. Not much has to be said about Rime or Powerslave.
I agree.

The one song I really go against popular opinion on is Aces High. I feel @mckindog 's criticisms of Moonchild better apply to Aces High. No real melodic hooks, not the most inspiring riffs (although the solos are great). It serves the purpose to start the live show with high energy, but not much more. Where Eagles Dare, Moonchild, and The Wicker Man all do these things while also being great songs on their own. I don't have much use for Aces High other than functioning as an opener to get people pumped.
Did you eat lead paint as a small Mosh?

Flash Of the Blade is an amazing song. Love the guitar harmonies and I would have liked to hear this song played by the current lineup. The Duellists and Back In the Village have some flaws but are overall enjoyable. Losfer Words is probably my favorite Maiden instrumental. Dare I say underrated.

I agree with all of this. Surprised to see so many write off Losfer Words whilst singing the praises of Book of Souls. The instrumental section of the latter (starting around 5:45) is taken straight from the former.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 20:
Back In The Village - 26 votes
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - 24 votes
Flash Of The Blade - 18 votes
The Duellists - 18 votes

Voting to promote the following:
Moonchild
Infinite Dreams
Evil That Men Do
Wasted Years
Sea of Madness
Stranger in a Strange Land
Two Minutes
Powerslave
rime

easy choices

Almost all of these songs are excellent, but I’m going to downvote everything that isn’t a 10/10 in my book:

Moonchild
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Caught Somewhere In Time
Sea Of Madness
Stranger In A Strange Land
Aces High
Powerslave

Moonchild
Sea of Madness
Stranger in a Strange Land

All 4 remaining songs from Powerslave deserve to make it to the Finals.

Back