BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I find your constant scorn over metal you don't like very sad, as it reminds me of how people who hate metal talk about metal.

3zjyj6.jpg

FYI, Matt Barlow is this forum's favorite vocalist.

No, he isn't. He has passionate fans and it's a Maidenfans meme because of it. He placed outside the Top 3 the last time we did a vocalist game, and that was at the apex of Iced Earth's proportionate popularity on the forum.

Of course he isn't the most popular vocalist overall here, I was indeed referring to his loud and passionate fanbase.

For me, he isn't even the best Iced Earth vocalist. Not hating him though.
This might be the most nonsensical comment ever posted on here. In a forum that Thousand_Suns used to visit, that's impressive.

I find your constant scorn over metal you don't like very sad, as it reminds me of how people who hate metal talk about metal.
Do you see me in the music threads talking about what people are listening to? Trolling the Now Playing thread? No, of course not, because I show my "scorn" for music I'm not a fan of by...not listening to it. I don't even hate growls in general. I dislike them, but I don't generally hate them. But they aren't really vocals. They aren't singing. I find the inclusion of them to be foolish and silly in this game, which the results have backed up.

tl,dr; you opened a thread about best vocalist then get upset when someone says what they think the best vocals are.

All of your other points make sense, but I'm pretty sure "vocals" mean "sounds of the voice", so growls/screams are vocals. They do have a place here.
Of course, if you're defining "vocals" to mean "melodious sounds of the voice", that's a different matter.
Let's allow the invisible hand of Maidenfans to decide.

But they aren't really vocals. They aren't singing. I find the inclusion of them to be foolish and silly in this game, which the results have backed up.
I'm with you up until this point. Singing is the use of the voice to create musical sounds. They can be atonal, arhythmic, or purely for texture. Sometimes growling fits into one of those three categories, sometimes not. You can also growl melodically. How is growling not singing?

Do you see me in the music threads talking about what people are listening to? Trolling the Now Playing thread?
I never said you do. You do it in chat though :p

But they aren't really vocals. They aren't singing. I find the inclusion of them to be foolish and silly in this game
Iryo. @Midnight already said what I wanted to say.

which the results have backed up
Mikael Åkerfeldt won his round and there will be more, so nah.

you opened a thread about best vocalist then get upset when someone says what they think the best vocals are.
I'm not upset at all, I just don't know why I should exclude the music/vocals that I, and many other people like, just because the majority (irrationally) hates it.

As I said, the whole metal with clean vocals vs. metal with harsh vocals thing reminds me of non-metal fans vs. metal fans, and that bugs me a lot. I think metal fans should be a bit more open-minded. I don't like grindcore pig squeal vocals but they are still vocals and some people still like them, and that's OK.

Anyway, as far as voting’s concerned, Barlow. Given past winners, unless someone else comes along, I hope he wins the entire competition.

Back