I've got a couple of doubts

tuto

Trooper
I've read somewhere that Infinite Dreams was supposed to be on the 2012 Maiden England Tour setlist but instead it got dropped during rehearsals and was replaced with Afraid to Shoot Strangers.
-I also remember reading a long time ago that Caught Somewhere in Time was supposed to be played during recent 'history' tours but Rod Smallwood thought it sounded like shit live or something like that.

My question being: does anybody have a source for any or both of those claims. I can't seem to find any. Thanks in advance!

I think Rod said Caught Somewhere in Time sounded like shit back in 1986.

Infinite Dreams was in the setlist but got dropped before the tour, you can see it on one of videos Maiden posted from the rehearsals.

I think Rod said Caught Somewhere in Time sounded like shit back in 1986.

Infinite Dreams was in the setlist but got dropped before the tour, you can see it on one of videos Maiden posted from the rehearsals.
Where can I find that video?

-I also remember reading a long time ago that Caught Somewhere in Time was supposed to be played during recent 'history' tours but Rod Smallwood thought it sounded like shit live or something like that.
He's probably right, too.

Slight correction - that is not from rehearsals, it’s a shot of the lighting desk from an episode of IMTV towards the end of the summer 2012 leg
The song must have made it to rehearsals then..

The song must have made it to rehearsals then..

It did. Hallowed was also part of their original plan for the Maiden England set, but it got dropped due to the lawsuit and probably because of the rather vocally demanding nature of the set. Aces High and all...

Rod was actually asked about Infinite Dreams back then... can't name the exact source, but if I'm not terribly mistaken, some fans met him and had a general chat about the tour etc. and it was mentioned that they indeed rehearsed Infinite Dreams, but ended up playing Afraid to Shoot Strangers because it would "go down better" or something along those lines.

It did. Hallowed was also part of their original plan for the Maiden England set, but it got dropped due to the lawsuit and probably because of the rather vocally demanding nature of the set. Aces High and all...

Rod was actually asked about Infinite Dreams back then... can't name the exact source, but if I'm not terribly mistaken, some fans met him and had a general chat about the tour etc. and it was mentioned that they indeed rehearsed Infinite Dreams, but ended up playing Afraid to Shoot Strangers because it would "go down better" or something along those lines.
I think the Caught Somewhere in Time quote is from the same meeting with Rod.

Or was it Phantom that got added after Hallowed was out of the question..? Then again, Phantom had a specific backdrop and pyros and all, which sort of indicates that it was part of the plan pretty early on.

Oh... that goes for Aces High too, so either way... The lighting programming and everything suggests that all of the mentioned songs were rehearsed and the final set formed quite late. After all, they often do rehearse a couple of "extra songs" and decide the final set based on their experience on which kind of selection works best for them. So it might be that none of the songs was a last minute addition to replace Hallowed but instead, the omission of Hallowed just left room for one of the mentioned songs that would have otherwise been dropped to sneak in.

Or was it Phantom that got added after Hallowed was out of the question..? Then again, Phantom had a specific backdrop and pyros and all, which sort of indicates that it was part of the plan pretty early on.
I think quite a few people (myself included) suspected this was the case, but apparently there's another photo of Dave holding up the setlist from the rehearsals which does indeed show Phantom and Hallowed were both meant to be in the set, which is a bit surprising to me.

Oh... that goes for Aces High too, so either way... The lighting programming and everything suggests that all of the mentioned songs were rehearsed and the final set formed quite late. After all, they often do rehearse a couple of "extra songs" and decide the final set based on their experience on which kind of selection works best for them. So it might be that none of the songs was a last minute addition to replace Hallowed but instead, the omission of Hallowed just left room for one of the mentioned songs that would have otherwise been dropped to sneak in.
Since Hallowed had to go (quite probably at the last minute) thanks to the lawsuit, I think they just picked a reliable final encore song that wasn't too hard to quickly rehearse (Running Free) and that was it. Basically the exact same process that happened with Wrathchild in 2017. I'm more curious about the process behind Infinite Dreams since it made it really far until it was replaced by a song that was very unexpected and never even played live before by the current lineup.

Since Hallowed had to go (quite probably at the last minute) thanks to the lawsuit, I think they just picked a reliable final encore song that wasn't too hard to quickly rehearse (Running Free) and that was it. Basically the exact same process that happened with Wrathchild in 2017. I'm more curious about the process behind Infinite Dreams since it made it really far until it was replaced by a song that was very unexpected and never even played live before by the current lineup.

Running Free was played during TFF tour, so it's a logical choice to replace Hallowed.

Both were in the setlist to begin with. Running Free was the replacement for Hallowed.

Correct. Run to the Hills was meant to be the final encore and got moved to the main set when Hallowed be Thy Name got dropped. Running Free was then added as the final encore.

Perhaps the worst change ever.

Run to the Hills was also supposed to be the final encore on the 2011 The Final Frontier tour only to be dropped in rehearsals and replaced with Running Free. Another bad choice, but probably one motivated by trying to preserve Bruce’s voice in good shape.

Back